Home Non Cigar Related
Options

you can't make this stuff up

Comments

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

A lot of teachers are liberal azzholes and do suck, Frank. It's just the way it is. My daughter is a teacher and has talked about how liberal left the majority of teachers are in our parts. Maybe you have good, conservative teachers in your area but we don't have many here.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:

You can hear whatever you want brother. Frankly I don't give a damn what your background is. I couldn't care less about the 730 days you spent "in the system." Ultimately, I'm not going to standby and let you spew your bullshīt unchecked.

The fact you make inaccurate assumptions about my background, then claim not to care about my background when I correct your inaccurate assumptions, does not say anything good about you, @VegasFrank. In fact, it shows that you are disingenuous and you have no desire to reach a place of mutual understanding or growth. That being what it is, I will not continue an argument with someone of that nature. Therefore, I leave you with a singular correction and two observations.

I never said I loathed the tenure system, I simply pointed out the fact it protects bad teachers from being fired.

"Hey man you're the one who said that public schools are indoctrination instrument of the liberal, not me."

This was a tongue-in-cheek comment that, though supported by some evidence, is not provable beyond a doubt. It was intended to be humorous or eye-rolling because I was told people around here had thick skin.

"And while you claim that most Americans think the teachers deserve more money, it is the American populace that has the power to give it to them, since teachers are publicly funded. Yet Americans don't open the checkbook because they'd rather not spend an extra quarter Penny on every hundred dollars in property value to go toward teacher pay. #thankless"

Your assertion that the general public's unwillingness to pay public school teachers more money only comes from a place of thanklessness, is not an assertion you can support.

P.S. I don't mind arguments and dissenting opinions, I actually rather enjoy them. Iron sharpens iron. However, I prefer the arguments to be done in good faith without insults being thrown about and so many assumptions being made. In that spirit, I apologize for my "baaa...baaa" comment, but that is the only thing I regret typing.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,379 ✭✭✭✭✭

The fats in bacon are about 50% monounsaturated and a large part of those is oleic acid.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:

Public schools in this country are among the best in the world specifically because of the freedom they allow educators to teach with, and this is especially true in the finest institutions of this country.

This was all you needed to say. The rest was nothing specific. I'd like to hear more about what you refer to as "the freedom they allow educators to teach with". How is this freedom manifested?

• Options

@Amos_Umwhat said:

Personally, I think teachers salaries should be at least quadrupled, and unreasonable helicopter parents should STFU and accept reality. Also, with that salary increase, the bar should be set quite a bit higher than it's been.

In my experience, not enough parents are involved and the schools become over-involved and, in some ways, dictatorial. I worked with children with emotional and behavioral disorders (EBD). Many of my students were violent, however, the school would never notify the parent of a regular-ed student that an EBD student had physically lashed out against them or had verbally berated them. The parents of regular-ed students that I spoke with at various times had no idea their child was in the same class as, or even sat next to, a violent student. That is unacceptable.

The best thing for a student of any school, public, private, or home, is for their parents to take an active interest in their education and what is going on at their school. If the parent disagrees with how a school is being run then they should be able to select another school for their child to attend.

One thing is for sure, public schools have become a miniaturized form of government, and government cannot be left unchecked by the citizens.

• Options

@Yakster said:
    During WWII, the U.S. government urged citizens to donate their excess bacon fat to the army. A whole committee was even created for it: The American Fat Salvage Committee. The fat was used to make glycerin which in turn was used to make bombs.

I am a bit of a history buff and have read many books and watched many shows pertaining to WWII, one of my favorite sections of history. Yet, I have never come across this information.

You've got to hand it to them, they were darn thorough in fighting that war and supporting their troops.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hobbes86 said:
    I will not continue an argument with someone of that nature. Therefore, I leave you with a singular correction and two observations.

Lol. "I'm not going to argue but I'm going to get in my last words."

I never said I loathed the tenure system, I simply pointed out the fact it protects bad teachers from being fired.

It also protects good teachers from being fired by politicians who disagree with their views. That was the Genesis of tenure in the first place. Learn your damn history bro.

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

@ShawnOL said:
    A lot of teachers are liberal azzholes and do suck, Frank. It's just the way it is. My daughter is a teacher and has talked about how liberal left the majority of teachers are in our parts. Maybe you have good, conservative teachers in your area but we don't have many here.

I have good teachers who are liberal and good teachers who are conservative and goid teachers for whom I don't know their particular preference. Bad on all 3 also.
    Political spectrum is not one of the indicators of being a good teacher from my experience, which is large and recent.

Post edited by VegasFrank on
    Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Options

@VegasFrank said:

It also protects good teachers from being fired by politicians who disagree with their views. That was the Genesis of tenure in the first place. Learn your damn history bro.

Your claim that disagreeable politicians were "the genesis" for tenure is just not supported by my experience with googling the history of tenure. Sorry bro.

• Options

@VegasFrank said:

• Options

@Bob_Luken said:

@VegasFrank said:

Public schools in this country are among the best in the world specifically because of the freedom they allow educators to teach with, and this is especially true in the finest institutions of this country.

This was all you needed to say. The rest was nothing specific. I'd like to hear more about what you refer to as "the freedom they allow educators to teach with". How is this freedom manifested?

Through tenure, in large part. We cannot fire teachers because of the way they teach. While this unfortunately has manifested into a pure lack of standards in some grossly morphed versions of the institution, it also protects teachers' abilities to connect with students and teach relevant course material regardless of who their elected supervision is at any particular time. Without tenure, teachers become government agents wholly controlled by political forces.

Yes, there is a downside to it as @Hobbes86 so "eloquently" put it. There's also a downside to steak and cigars and beer, if you pervért them.

• Options
    edited December 2021

@Hobbes86 said:

@VegasFrank said:

I thought you were done arguing. Then why the hell are you still here? Shoo, little fly...

Oh, and you started the tenure thing. Go back and read.

This is despite tenure protecting the bad ones

• Options

@Bob_Luken said:

@VegasFrank said:

Your claim that disagreeable politicians were "the genesis" for tenure is just not supported by my experience with googling the history of tenure. Sorry bro.

That's what they taught me in leftist indoctrination training 🙄

• Options

@Bob_Luken said:

@VegasFrank said:

You using Chinese google 😆😂😆😂

• Options
    edited December 2021

And just to connect all the dots for you @Bob_Luken, principals hire teachers. Principals are appointed to their posts from school administration like the superintendent usually, and sometimes the school board. The superintendent is either elected or hired by the school board. The school board is always elected. Those are the politicians I referred to.

Same in public colleges. Public colleges are run by regents who are elected in many states. Regents higher School presidents and vice presidents, who hire and fire teachers.

My comment about your Chinese Google was tongue-in-cheek. @Hobbes86 taught me that.

• Options

@VegasFrank said:

@Bob_Luken said:

@VegasFrank said:

That's what they taught me in leftist indoctrination training 🙄

• Options

@VegasFrank said:
    I thought you were done arguing. Then why the hell are you still here? Shoo, little fly...

I mentioned that tenure protects bad teachers. I never said tenure as a whole is bad or that tenure didn't protect good teachers. You invented all that junk yourself, which was all a straw man.

I also never said a word about the history of tenure, but you felt the need to erect a straw man there as well and tell me to "learn my damn history." Again, I never made a comment about it's history or purpose.

As to why I am still here:

• Options

@Hobbes86 said:

@VegasFrank said:

I never said tenure as a whole is bad or that tenure didn't protect good teachers.

Which is exactly why I did mention it. That's how argumentation works. You get the first lesson for free, the next ones will cost you 😆.

I never made a comment about it's history or purpose.

Of course you didn't because it didn't fit your point of view. That's why I chimed in. Your quote is right up there. Read it. I took your piece of information and argued against it. You gave a half-truth and a half story about a concept and I finish it for you. I don't understand what you're talking about.

Shoo fly ...

• Options

@VegasFrank

You are Don Quixote, tilting at windmills.

• Options
    edited December 2021

Sean Hannity is,....

• Options

@VegasFrank said:
    And just to connect all the dots for you @Bob_Luken, principals hire teachers. Principals are appointed to their posts from school administration like the superintendent usually, and sometimes the school board. The superintendent is either elected or hired by the school board. The school board is always elected. Those are the politicians I referred to.

Same in public colleges. Public colleges are run by regents who are elected in many states. Regents higher School presidents and vice presidents, who hire and fire teachers.

My comment about your Chinese Google was tongue-in-cheek. @Hobbes86 taught me that.

>
    >
    >
    I was tongue-in-cheek first.

Relax Frank,....
    >

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

You guys are interrupting my bacon reading

• Options

Not enough ^ apparently.

• Options

@Rdp77 said:
    You guys are interrupting my bacon reading

I am wondering if that last one presented by @Yakster is true or not. Bacon is good, yes, but as addictive as heroin and cocaine...I am doubtful.