Home Non Cigar Related
Options

you can't make this stuff up

Comments

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

yeah, but that is like saying "if you ain't vaxxed you can't get help if you get the rona".

• Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

What happened at this restaurant is at least partially due to the fear of guns that the mainstream media producers have propagated. It is an irrational and dangerous fear that has, and will again, ultimately lead to foolish decisions and people getting hurt unnecessarily. But it will never stop, too many people in positions of power would love to see the American people weakened and all of us suckling the teat of government.

Our Second Amendment is our most vital, because without it we have no way of protecting the others. We have to be willing to swim against the current of society and take a stand, regardless of the consequences.

Just my thoughts, for what they are worth.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

All fear is irrational. Spiders, transgenders, tricycles, and nuclear holocaust.

Oh, and I don't know if you've looked around lately, but there are a lot of people suckling at the teet of the gov't....537 of them at last count!

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Options

Lol I got wtf'd

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:
    Lol I got wtf'd

Probably because you left out clowns.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

@jlmarta said:
    My own opinion? I’ve been saying for years that when it’s my time to meet my Maker I’ll go without pause because I don’t think I could weather another generation or two of the offspring we’re producing. The reason is simple - each new generation of parents is repeating the mantra “I’m not going to be as strict with my offspring as my parents were with me”.

Whether they admit to it or not, it’s continuing to happen. And each generation feels a stronger sense of entitlement than its predecessor as a result.

You can chalk up the foregoing as simply the ramblings of an Oldfart… 👍👴🏻

Spot on brother! Also I’m stealing this

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rhamlin said:

@jlmarta said:
    My own opinion? I’ve been saying for years that when it’s my time to meet my Maker I’ll go without pause because I don’t think I could weather another generation or two of the offspring we’re producing. The reason is simple - each new generation of parents is repeating the mantra “I’m not going to be as strict with my offspring as my parents were with me”.

Whether they admit to it or not, it’s continuing to happen. And each generation feels a stronger sense of entitlement than its predecessor as a result.

You can chalk up the foregoing as simply the ramblings of an Oldfart… 👍👴🏻

Spot on brother! Also I’m stealing this

Have at it, Ricky. Obviously I’m speaking in generalities but I think my point is still a valid one….

• Options

I guess I'm the lucky one then. I sit in rooms every day with a bunch of 20 somethings who talk about how they hope they get the chance to risk it all for their country. I work with 30 something engineers who are smarter than I'll ever be and say, "all we have to do is invent this technology to solve this problem" and then they do it and because it's fun, no less!

We like to put pictures of skinny guys wearing shorts and and schmedium t-shirts and skullcaps in memes and make jokes. We like to bïtch about the entitled generation and the "me first" attitude, but it's an over exaggeration. Most of the "me" generation that I know aches to excel, and aches to be happy.

They do it differently than we do. That doesn't mean it's the wrong way.

Come to where I work. Meet heroes. Meet geniuses. Get inspired....

• Options

@VegasFrank said:
    I guess I'm the lucky one then. I sit in rooms every day with a bunch of 20 somethings who talk about how they hope they get the chance to risk it all for their country. I work with 30 something engineers who are smarter than I'll ever be and say, "all we have to do is invent this technology to solve this problem" and then they do it and because it's fun, no less!

We like to put pictures of skinny guys wearing shorts and and schmedium t-shirts and skullcaps in memes and make jokes. We like to bïtch about the entitled generation and the "me first" attitude, but it's an over exaggeration. Most of the "me" generation that I know aches to excel, and aches to be happy.

I think location might have something to do with how often we see the "me first" folks within these last two generations. Maybe chosen vocation as well. Are you located in a major city Frank? Are the young folks you are around aspiring to a vocation that requires more motivation or determination?

• Options

@Hobbes86 said:

@VegasFrank said:

I think location might have something to do with how often we see the "me first" folks within these last two generations. Maybe chosen vocation as well. Are you located in a major city Frank? Are the young folks you are around aspiring to a vocation that requires more motivation or determination?

Well I'll tell you, but you have to read the whole thing. I have two jobs. I work for the department of the air force during the day, and I'm a teacher at community college for cigar money at night.

Now you might think, well of course you're around a bunch of military guys. And Patriots! True Americans!

Let me tell you something brother. I've been in and around the military for the last 28 years and in my time in the military I never saw as many fùck offs and fùck wads as I did when I was an 18 year old slick sleeved E1.

That's right, my first assignment when I was living in the dorms and surrounded by people my own age, which was the age of 18 to 20, there are four types of people. It was the screw off who was going to get kicked out, the idiot who's too dumb to tie his own shoes, the backstabber who would do anything including selling out his friends to make rank and get ahead, and hard-working guy went to work every day and did his job as best he could. These four groups of people were equally distributed across the spectrum. There weren't a couple of screw offs and a bunch of hard workers.

As I progressed through the ranks, my peer group changed. Maybe I gravitated toward the hard workers and maybe they gravitated toward me. I don't know. But let us not pretend that the screw-ups just disappeared I went to work at Wendy's. There are still screw offs today. I see fewer of them in my unit and in my peer group, probably because they're good at hiding from their director (me) in my unit and they're good I pretending to not be screw offs in my peer group.

I also teach at community college and I can tell you that I see a lot of millennials. I see a ton of 18 19 20 year old kids. I see some that have an unbelievable work ethic and I see some who are only there because Mom told them that they got to be there. The distribution through My lens is almost identical to the one I experienced at my first duty station. 25-25-25 25.

I think we have a lot of confirmation bias when it comes to the younger generations. I think that we only see them on the news causing mischief and we only see them at Wendy's and at Starbucks and at the department stores stocking shelves. We don't see them in their more vibrant settings with families and friends. We don't see them create. We don't see them love. We don't see their passion. That makes it easier for us to say they're a bunch of pieces of shít. That makes it easy for us to say oh, you know what, they are not violent anymore like we were as kids, so they are soft. Oh, you know what, they all got a trophy so they don't appreciate or know what hard work is. Oh that guy rose to the top fast and he's my boss but he's younger than me, he doesn't know what the hell he's doing.

Yes, you can generalize them as having an on-demand life. So what? They want it, and they'll invent it. That makes them better than us, not worse than us. Yes, they want to spend time at night with their families. Yes, they want employers to compete for them, they don't want to compete for jobs with employers. There's nothing wrong with that. I'm an employer and I'll compete for the good ones. They demand a lot and they get a lot because they're more talented and more savvy and more intelligent than we ever were.

It doesn't mean they're not stupid. Oh, they're stupid okay! They're immature. They think they have the world figured out and they don't.

They are in their 20s!

I was like that, and you were like that too. Your pappy was like that and your grandpappy was like that. Every generation has thought the one that has come after them were softer and dumber and destined to take us to terrible places. Every generation in history has been wrong.

This generation is going to Mars! Do you know how much more difficult it is to go to Mars then it was to go to the Moon? It's the difference between breaking the speed barrier and going mach 10. That's how hard it is. This generation figured out the electric automobile. Do you know how hard it was to invent it sustainable electric vehicle that drives itself on roads where other vehicles are not driving themselves? You know how much harder it was to do that than it was to invent the automobile in the first place? Not only that, they invented and integrated the infrastructure to support it! This generation perfected the modern-day Android, part silicone part carbon. It's called a person with his cell phone. Do you realize skip this generation perfected the electronic implant that allows you to act like a supercomputer without even having to implant it into your body? Do you know how hard that was to do? It was a thousand times harder than Alexander Graham Bell inventing the telephone!

By the way, I see just as many douches as you do at Walmart and Starbucks and meinecke and work and in my family and at school. I just choose to see the good side of the generation while accepting the idiots as part of the cost.

Go ahead Bob host the Seinfeld eye-roll gif. You know you want to. But when you look at yourself in the mirror tonight, you also know I'm right.

• Options

Well @VegasFrank, I will freely admit I have always been predisposed to see the negative in people. I also admit that every generation has had its fair share of losers. What I am having trouble with is determining whether or not there are truly more pansies now or if social media, the demand for 24/7 headlines, or more polarizing polotics just makes it seem that way.

• Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hobbes86 said:
    Well @VegasFrank, I will freely admit I have always been predisposed to see the negative in people. I also admit that every generation has had its fair share of losers. What I am having trouble with is determining whether or not there are truly more pansies now or if social media, the demand for 24/7 headlines, or more polarizing polotics just makes it seem that way.

I would put it this way just to make it as simple as possible: Could you imagine how funny the memes would be if Facebook was around for the hippy generation?

• Options

@CalvinAndHobo said:

@Hobbes86 said:

I would put it this way just to make it as simple as possible: Could you imagine how funny the memes would be if Facebook was around for the hippy generation?

Back in the olden days those existed as "cartoons ", found in magazines (paper publications) weekly or monthly . And some of them were hilarious parodies. Especially "B.C." by Johnny Hart, if memory serves, who regularly lampooned the obvious contradictions of the hippie movement, such as it was.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

Oh, and I should add that objectively, Frank nailed it. Just read the book of Tobit, or 2nd Esdras (I think), and it's pretty clear that this is the human condition.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hobbes86 said:

This isn't all directed at you, Hobbes, I just needed a jumping-off point...

I will admit that I often think like you, but less and less as I enter my "golden years" because thinking that way does little to enhance my inner world, nor does it procure for me an extra hour of life. A key question; why do I/we want to stand in judgment of any group? They say it's part of how we're wired, to judge outsiders, a kind of defense to keep our group safe. Maybe. But in the context of my group being my generation, it must be something else. Help me understand why my group (or me as an individual) benefits from looking askew at another generation. Forget the fact, for now, as Calvin asserts, that they're also looking at you. There is no benefit, zilch/zero/zip/nada to putting that group down, unless you count denigrating them as a means of falsely inflating your opinion of your own group as a benefit... So, the question remains, why does it matter what we think of another generation of people?

I have to wonder sometimes, if we're actually hard-wired to think in terms of group, or if outside influences such as media and politicians and religion have shaped us for their own purposes to think along the lines of us/them. A key reminder I tell myself and any acquaintances that will listen is this; we are individuals, we think for ourselves, we may belong to a group but we are responsible for ourselves. I have neighbors who are complete opposites, in politics, religion, sexual identification, etc, and we get along just fine. I want to relate to individuals and not see them as part of a group.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

@peter4jc said:

I have to wonder sometimes, if we're actually hard-wired to think in terms of group, or if outside influences such as media and politicians and religion have shaped us for their own purposes to think along the lines of us/them.

yup

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

We couldn't figure out why we needed war in Viet Nam.
    They can't figure out the difference between boys and girls.
    One of these two is a special kind of stupid..

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

So that goes to my point about the error we willingly indulge when we mock an entire generation of people, either up or down on the age scale. I understand it more when it comes from the youth, pointing out the foibles of the older folks; "We're not gonna be like them. We won't make the same mistakes". They're trying to forge their own identity and feel the need to distance themselves from those old dummies. Truth be told, both younger and older generations have something worth listening to and we should be learning from each other, not categorizing and castigating.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

@Rdp77 said:

Sure, there are small pockets of these people strung throughout the country just like with the hippies. But also like the hippies they are far from being the majority.

What stands out to me now though is the fact we have legislation being changed due to how loudly this minority is crying. We have schools capitulating to this gender-questioning crap and it is resulting in students being hurt, usually the girls.

• Options

@CalvinAndHobo said:
    My opinion is that WWII produced the greatest generation because everyone my age and younger had to deal with so much more at that age, so everyone grew up and gained actual life experience very quickly compared to other generations.

I certainly agree with your opinion on this. It is similar to how a kid that grows up working on a farm is generally more responsible and harder working than a kid that doesn't.

• Options

But first, lets all get electric cars and switch to heat pumps:

Rolling blackouts possible this winter, regional grid warns

ASSOCIATED PRESS AUGUSTA, Maine – Rolling blackouts may hit New England if there’s an extended cold snap this winter, as the regional power grid operator warns of a 'precarious' situation due to snags in the natural gas supply.

Much of the grid’s power comes from burning natural gas, and right now that fuel is in shorter-than-normal supply and is subject to supply chain disruptions, said Gordon van Welie, CEO of ISO New England.

The region’s grid is often near the limit during winter months, but severe weather combined with high natural gas prices and pipeline constraints could push the grid past the tipping point and prompt mandatory usage restrictions.

'We’re depending on an energy supply chain in the region that is quite fragile, particularly during the wintertime,' van Welie said this week.

Marc Brown, New England director for Consumer Energy Alliance, said people should be concerned. Natural gas prices remain about 50% higher than a year ago despite a drop in recent weeks.

'We need to be worried. We’ve seen it in other places, like California, with controlled power outages,' he said.

Natural gas supplies are already having an impact. In Maine, electricity bills are going up $30 per month on average for residents who adopt the 'standard offer' rate starting Jan. 1. High natural gas prices are being blamed for the increase.

New England is trying to shift to greener energy alternatives but that transition is going to take time.

Van Welie noted that the Massachusetts-funded New England Clean Energy Connect in Maine, which aims to bring up to 1,200 megawatts of Canadian hydropower to the grid, could help.

With that project stalled, following a rebuke by Mainers in a statewide referendum, it’ll take more time to find additional electrical supply in coming years through wind, solar and other projects.

Overall, the power grid operator is anticipating a relatively mild winter based on long-term forecasts by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

But extended cold can happen any winter and the failure of the Texas grid last winter helped to put things into perspective, van Welie said.

'I think that what Texas drove home for me is that with almost 15 million people living in this region need to understand is that we are in a precarious position particularly when we get into cold weather,' he said.

The Maine Public Utilities Commission said the power grid operator has been sounding the alarm about the state’s reliance on natural gas.

• Options

Interesting. In 1965 we were driving across the country and somewhere out west there was a column of fire rising towards the sky. I was amazed and asked my Dad about it. He explained that when companies were drilling for oil they often ran into natural gas, and burned it off because it wasn't profitable enough to contain it and use it.

Many people in powerful positions still seem to view the world from a similar point of view.

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Frack

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could always build more nuclear power plants.....

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

@ShawnOL said:
    Could always build more nuclear power plants.....

We have been conditioned to immediately imagine large nuclear plants capable of making weapons grade nuclear products. However, much smaller facilities are perfectly capable of producing electricity. Like, the size of a one car garage powering a town the size of, say, Reno NV. Maybe a 2 car garage, but nowhere near the behemoth that 3 mile island was.

There are 2 primary reasons we don't do this. It's not profitable for the uber elite, and, not capable of producing weapons.

Basically, free electricity.

No one in charge wants that.