Options

you can't make this stuff up

Comments

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

@Hobbes86 said:
    @Rdp77
    Those little rascals can be a real annoyance, and dangerous if they have a mind to be.

There ain’t nuthin little about that bastàrd. He goes 15lbs+. They’re around here all the time trying to scrounge chicken feed, rabbit feed, or whatever kinda feed they can find. I’ll give him a couple warnings then I’ll trap him and ship him off somewhere.

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    “If there’s a Submit button on a form, the reasonable expectation is that it does something—that it will submit your data when you click it,” says Güneş Acar, a professor and researcher in Radboud University's digital security group and one of the leaders of the study. “We were super surprised by these results. We thought maybe we were going to find a few hundred websites where your email is collected before you submit, but this exceeded our expectations by far.”

The researchers, who will present their findings at the Usenix security conference in August, say they were inspired to investigate what they call “leaky forms” by media reports, particularly from Gizmodo, about third parties collecting form data regardless of submission status. They point out that, at its core, the behavior is similar to so-called key loggers, which are typically malicious programs that log everything a target types. But on a mainstream top-1,000 site, users probably won't expect to have their information keylogged. And in practice, the researchers saw a few variations of the behavior. Some sites logged data keystroke by keystroke, but many grabbed complete submissions from one field when users clicked to the next.

“In some cases, when you click the next field, they collect the previous one, like you click the password field and they collect the email, or you just click anywhere and they collect all the information....
    More here:

https://www.wired.com/story/leaky-forms-keyloggers-meta-tiktok-pixel-study/

===========================
    One more perfunctory thing that should not require a study. A professor in his field should know it's been that way for twenty years. Javascript is an easy way:

<

form name="myForm" id="myForm" target="_myFrame" action="test.php" method="POST">

Anyone building forms ever since way back when I was doing it knows this is the case.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options

NOAA study published today in the journal Science Advances about four decades of tropical cyclones reveals the surprising result that reducing particulate air pollution in Europe and North America has contributed to an increase in the number of cyclones in the North Atlantic basin. The study also found that the growth of particulate pollution in Asia has contributed to fewer tropical cyclone in the western North Pacific basin.

(sic)

https://ground.news/article/reducing-harmful-air-pollution-has-led-to-a-surprising-effect-more-hurricanes-in-the-north-atlantic_69ffff

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rdp77 said:
    Damnit…

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

@ShawnOL said:

@Rdp77 said:
    Damnit…

Lol, they’re just looking for a meal. They don’t damage anything just rile up the other critters.

• Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

@Rdp77 said:

Lol, they’re just looking for a meal. They don’t damage anything just rile up the other critters.

Baylisascaris
    Canine hepatitis
    Canine distemper
    Parvoviral enteritis
    Leptospirosis

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options

@Stubble said:

@Rdp77 said:

Baylisascaris
    Canine hepatitis
    Canine distemper
    Parvoviral enteritis
    Leptospirosis

The dogs aren’t even bothered by them. The only thing that sees them as a threat are the chickens. I don’t worry until I see one out during the day…then I have to put it down.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hear they make a nice hat. When I was a kid I always wanted one because Fess Parker was so good-looking in one.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

Goes with his Bowie knife.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

Around here, as I understand it, the majority of raccoons are rabid, or are to be considered rabid. I've been told by the local dog catcher that it's best to just shoot them than take the risk of them biting you or your pets.

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rdp77 said:
    Damnit…

That's a funny looking cat you own Rusty.

• Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jrflickster said:

Did the pyromaniac do this **** too?

• Options

@Amos_Umwhat the same conventional wisdom prevails here. It’s been awhile since I’ve seen one out during the day, but they sure don’t mind coming around at night.

• Options
    edited May 2022

https://youtu.be/8M9Ack29DCI

Tell me if the Orange Bozo wouldn't have had this sorted by tee time with one call to Goya or the my pillow guy.

Post edited by webmost on

• Options

@webmost said:
    https://youtu.be/8M9Ack29DCI

Tell me if the Orange Bozo wouldn't have had this sorted by tee time with one call to Goya or the my pillow guy.

Trump would have fixed this problem.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

(Bryan Woolston/Reuters)

An estimated $163 billion from pandemic unemployment benefits was stolen or misspent. The money may never be recovered.

• Options

Not surprised, just disappointed.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

A cop friend once told me "everyone has their price". I have come to believe she may have been right.

• Options

@silvermouse said:
    (Bryan Woolston/Reuters)

An estimated $163 billion from pandemic unemployment benefits was stolen or misspent. The money may never be recovered.

That wasn't a bug, it was a feature.

• Options

WIC serves 53 percent of all infants born in the United States.

https://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/about-wic-glance

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    (Bryan Woolston/Reuters)

Lots more in Ukraine aid will probably be misspent as well.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options

I don't know if I want to be served 53% of an infant.