Home Non Cigar Related
Options

you can't make this stuff up

Comments

• Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a big time lawyer in a woodturning class I was teaching at a craft school many years ago. He told me that there are only two motiving factors in most of human misadventures, sex or money.
    Guns are flowing in a large red river of money. Folks give money to the gun makers for guns. The gun makers flow money to the gun lobby. The gun lobby bribes the politicians with the money. The politicians protect the gun industry. Right wing media exports fear and malice about the feds taking guns. The gun lobby and politicians fund raise money because of this fear and folks who buy guns buy more guns. The red river of money keeps flowing. No one involved wants the red river of money to stop, after all it is money. More money than they have ever had. The bloody killing of children, women, and men with guns is good for business. WTF.
    Been thinking about this since Uvalde.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty much the definition of a psychopath:

Pelley said he asked Bard why it helps people and it replied "because it makes me happy," which Pelley said shocked him. "Bard appears to be thinking," he told James Manyika, a senior vice president Google hired last year as head of "technology and society." Manyika responded that Bard is not sentient and not aware of itself but it can "behave like" it.

Google CEO Sundar Pichai warns society to brace for impact of A.I. acceleration, says ‘it’s not for a company to decide'

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/04/17/google-ceo-sundar-pichai-warns-society-to-brace-for-impact-of-ai-acceleration.html

• Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any thoughts on why that might be? Maybe something about the disintegration of the nuclear family.

I believe that certainly plays a large role in all of this. Throw in our highly negative news cycle, the exaggeration of issues and demonization of political opponents for clicks and views, and the rejection of God and you've got a recipe for disaster.

I believe feelings of isolation are also a major contributor to these tragedies. A lack of in-person, meaningful contact exacerbates such feelings. A screen and some text, oftentimes flippantly typed, cannot come close to being as meaningful.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    Pretty much the definition of a psychopath:

Pelley said he asked Bard why it helps people and it replied "because it makes me happy," which Pelley said shocked him. "Bard appears to be thinking," he told James Manyika, a senior vice president Google hired last year as head of "technology and society." Manyika responded that Bard is not sentient and not aware of itself but it can "behave like" it.

Google CEO Sundar Pichai warns society to brace for impact of A.I. acceleration, says ‘it’s not for a company to decide'

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/04/17/google-ceo-sundar-pichai-warns-society-to-brace-for-impact-of-ai-acceleration.html

The Beast arrives.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023

Guns are flowing in a large red river of money. Money is green, not red.
    Folks give money to gun manufacturers for guns. This is true. Every new gun I've bought has put money into the pockets of those manufacturers. Rightfully so. They provided the legal product I wanted to buy. Why shouldn't they profit? They did the work.
    Of course gun makers give money to the "gun lobby" to protect them from the "anti-gun lobby" and anti-gun politicians who want to make the makers go out of business.
    Politicians "protect" the gun industry because it is a legal, vital American industry. The makers of arms don't determine the end use of the product.. the end user does,, whether good or bad..
    Right wing media just reports the truth,, whether you believe it or not.. .
    we buy more guns because we want to,, not out of fear. At least, I don't.
    You seem to believe that guns are evil and anyone who wants one only wants to commit murder.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShawnOL said:

You seem to believe that guns are evil and anyone who wants one only wants to commit murder.

I agree with basically every point you made. It was well stated and in my opinion, correct (aside from the point about the media, but that's a different discussion). Can we be careful saying things like this last sentence though? I personally think it's disrespectful to put words in other people's mouths, but especially when it's a veteran who is a gun owner himself.

• Options

That's why I said SEEM. It seems like that because of his comment. I did not try to put words in anyone else's mouth. Maybe it would have come across better posed as a question?

• Options

​​Swarms of Mice Descend on Australian Farms Again

​​https://www.newsweek.com/mice-swarm-australia-plague-farmers-crops-1795097

• Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

I grew up hunting. After school I would hit the woods with my great grandfathers model 1897 Winchester 22. I was lucky cause learning about guns as a boy kept me alive in Vietman. At one time My collection numbered 23 guns including a Chinese SKS and a Glock 23. I now own 11. I feel I am a responsible gun owner. Hell when I lived in the Virgin Islands I never went diving without my speargun. After many years I have come to the realization that I have no trouble with the ownership of hunting, target or defense weapons. I just cannot see offensive weapons designed to provide fire superiority in war available to kids that are not old enough to buy a drink of whiskey.

• Options

generally speaking, adolescents aren't all that responsible, at least I wasn't.

• Options

Ban hammers, bat's and hands/feet for anyone under 21. Those kill far more people.

• Options
    edited April 2023

All three of these battle tools were designed for rapid fire and reloading of in war. They were the cutting edge of their time. Both rifles have bayonet lugs. Both can be fitted with a flash suppressor. The carbine can be fitted with a folding stock and pistol grip. It uses 15 and 30 round high capacity ammunition clip thingies. I suppose we should ban anything designed during Viet Nam? Or the Korean war? Or WW2? Might as well go for WW1, the Springfield 03 was modern, designed to be fired and reloaded rapidly on the battlefield. Almost all guns were designed for war. Look it up.

• Options

And some people are just fukked up
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65319833

• Options

Elon is probably not a cigar smoker. And only $175.

https://shop.spacex.com/products/starship-torch

• Options

@ShawnOL said:
    Ban hammers, bat's and hands/feet for anyone under 21. Those kill far more people.

Gasoline, mass destruction guaranteed.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

@First_Warrior said:
    I believe what I believe, You believe what you believe and I'm ok with that. I guess being in the savagery of war has colored my thinking. But I stand by it.

And I respect that, even if I do not agree 100%. If only everyone would just agree to disagree, the world would be a different place.

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023

• Options

Couldn't you just see that coming? I'm sure warring parties will be ethical.

Palantir Demos AI to Fight Wars But Says It Will Be Totally Ethical Don’t Worry About It
    The company says its Artificial Intelligence Platform will integrate AI into military decision making in a legal and ethical way.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/qjvb4x/palantir-demos-ai-to-fight-wars-but-says-it-will-be-totally-ethical-dont-worry-about-it

• Options
  • Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

The preceding messages brought to you by SkyNet.

• Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing like that good'ol human interaction, right?

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options

@Hobbes86 said:

Nothing like that good'ol human interaction, right?

AI meets HI

• Options

So, what do we do with these people, I can't see a clear path to their future, possibly, rehabilitation; they are not adults yet, at least mentally. If you were a parent of one of them what would you want?

https://abcnews.go.com/US/colorado-rock-throwing-suspect-photo-victims-car-memento/story

Karol-Chik told police all three teens threw rocks at cars and they were "excited" when they hit them, according to court documents. He said Kwak was the one who threw the fatal rock at Bartell's car, the documents said. After Bartell's car was hit, Kwak allegedly said, "We have to go back to see that," and when they turned around, Kwak allegedly took a photo of Bartell's car, according to the documents.

When Kwak was questioned, he admitted taking a photo, saying "he thought Joseph or Mitch would want it as a memento," according to court documents.