Home Non Cigar Related
Options

you can't make this stuff up

Comments

• Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:

These days I'm beginning to understand why Frank doesn't vote. It all just seems like one big facade.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

the snowball is gaining momentum, what's next? Who needs to talk to a human anyway.

Eating Disorder Helpline Fires Staff, Transitions to Chatbot After Unionization
    The chatbot is named "Tessa" and will replace the entire Helpline program starting June 1.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/n7ezkm/eating-disorder-helpline-fires-staff-transitions-to-chatbot-after-unionization

• Options
    TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on the human being

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hobbes86 said:

@peter4jc said:

These days I'm beginning to understand why Frank doesn't vote. It all just seems like one big facade.

I voted for this. Does that count?

Don't look ↑
  • Options

@VegasFrank said:
    I voted for this. Does that count?

Good enough! :)

• Options

What happens when Medicare gets more and more privatized:

https://www.levernews.com/the-20-billion-scam-at-the-heart-of-medicare-advantage/

The health insurance behemoth Humana enjoyed a banner 2022. The Louisville, Ky.-based insurer made $2.8 billion in profits last year, while paying out $448 million in dividends to shareholders and more than $17 million in compensation to its CEO.

The main driver of those earnings? The federal government spent $20.5 billion overpaying Humana and other private insurers for the Medicare Advantage plans they manage on behalf of seniors and people with disabilities. If not for those overpayments, Humana could have suffered a nearly $900 million loss in 2022, according to a Lever analysis.

Humana is the most prominent example of how insurers have built a major cash cow out of systematically overbilling Medicare Advantage, the private Medicare program operated by private interests. These overpayments are symptomatic of a broader profit-driven policy agenda that seeks to completely privatize Medicare, one of the nation’s most popular social programs, and lock program recipients into subpar private insurance plans, even when they get sicker and need the best care possible.

Medicare Advantage plans have higher claim denial rates and more prior authorization restrictions than traditional Medicare plans. Last year, regulators found that nearly one in five payment requests rejected by Medicare Advantage plans in 2018 were wrongfully denied, representing an estimated 1.5 million claims.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    What happens when Medicare gets more and more privatized:

https://www.levernews.com/the-20-billion-scam-at-the-heart-of-medicare-advantage/

The health insurance behemoth Humana enjoyed a banner 2022. The Louisville, Ky.-based insurer made $2.8 billion in profits last year, while paying out $448 million in dividends to shareholders and more than $17 million in compensation to its CEO.

Medicare Advantage plans have higher claim denial rates and more prior authorization restrictions than traditional Medicare plans. Last year, regulators found that nearly one in five payment requests rejected by Medicare Advantage plans in 2018 were wrongfully denied, representing an estimated 1.5 million claims.

I've seen all this with my own eyes. I throw away every piece of mail the monsters at Humana send me. DO NOT ever buy into a so-called "Advantage" plan. There will be NO advantage to anyone except the bastards taking your money.

Rant over.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 1987 Humana sued to have St. Elsewhere change the name of the fictional company Ecumena that bought the hospital in the TV show because of the negative portrayal of the company. The network put a disclaimer on the shows instead.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

Genuine question because I don't know much about this stuff. Why is the government overpaying by so much?

"The main driver of those earnings? The federal government spent $20.5 billion overpaying Humana and other private insurers for the Medicare Advantage plans they manage on behalf of seniors and people with disabilities. If not for those overpayments, Humana could have suffered a nearly $900 million loss in 2022, according to a Lever analysis."

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hobbes86 said:
    Genuine question because I don't know much about this stuff. Why is the government overpaying by so much?

"The main driver of those earnings? The federal government spent $20.5 billion overpaying Humana and other private insurers for the Medicare Advantage plans they manage on behalf of seniors and people with disabilities. If not for those overpayments, Humana could have suffered a nearly $900 million loss in 2022, according to a Lever analysis."

Because a congressman running on a platform of fiscal responsibility will not get elected.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had insurance from the government marketplace for one month last year between jobs. Was a reasonable rate...only problem was none of my doctor's would take it, so it was worthless. To add insult to injury, the IRS docked me an additional $1300 for one months worthless insurance. Cant wait for another 80000 additional IRS agents.

A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    TRayBTRayB Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

@dirtdude said:
    I had insurance from the government marketplace for one month last year between jobs. Was a reasonable rate...only problem was none of my doctor's would take it, so it was worthless. To add insult to injury, the IRS docked me an additional $1300 for one months worthless insurance. Cant wait for another 80000 additional IRS agents.

Oh, but they are only going after the top 1% of earners, and corporations with overseas accounts. :/

• Options
    TRayBTRayB Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    Us middle class taxpayers bear the weight of government spending.

To an ever-increasing degree, and not just via the tax-code.

• Options

My recent purchase from PCB showed up in these pouches. They were too full to be properly sealed at the bottom. I doubt the Integra pouches were doing the cigars much good in these! Lol

• Options

Yes, you can

SUPERMAN 2 (1980) - Behind the scenes

• Options

Little bit of government overreach, maybe? :p

Ford is having to recall 176,000 of its Ford Bronco SUVs, model years 2021 to 2023, because the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration found that drivers and front seat passengers can have difficulty reaching the metal portion of the belt when it is in the retracted position.

“The customer may experience some dissatisfaction or be discouraged if they are unable to easily access the seatbelt… in its stowed position. Driving without the use of a seatbelt increases the risk of injury in a crash,” said the notice from the federal safety regulator.

• Options

super:

https://www.csoonline.com/article/3698516/chatgpt-creates-mutating-malware-that-evades-detection-by-edr.html

A global sensation since its initial release at the end of last year, ChatGPT's popularity among consumers and IT professionals alike has stirred up cybersecurity nightmares about how it can be used to exploit system vulnerabilities. A key problem, cybersecurity experts have demonstrated, is the ability of ChatGPT and other large language models (LLMs) to generate polymorphic, or mutating, code to evade endpoint detection and response (EDR) systems.

A recent series of proof-of-concept attacks show how a benign-seeming executable file can be crafted such that at every runtime, it makes an API call to ChatGPT. Rather than just reproduce examples of already-written code snippets, ChatGPT can be prompted to generate dynamic, mutating versions of malicious code at each call, making the resulting vulnerability exploits difficult to detect by cybersecurity tools.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

Blame the Chinese.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

Makes me wonder how long it will be before people are getting locked up because AI said so.

• Options

More erosion of truth and trust

With apparently fake photos, DeSantis raises AI ante
    https://www.reuters.com/world/us/is-trump-kissing-fauci-with-apparently-fake-photos-desantis-raises-ai-ante-2023-06-08/

• Options

@silvermouse said:
    More erosion of truth and trust

With apparently fake photos, DeSantis raises AI ante
    https://www.reuters.com/world/us/is-trump-kissing-fauci-with-apparently-fake-photos-desantis-raises-ai-ante-2023-06-08/

• Options

Can't make this up and now you don't have to bother to write or think, Gmail will do it for you.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/gmail-will-help-you-write-your-emails-now-how-to-access-googles-new-ai-tool/