Home Non Cigar Related
Options

you can't make this stuff up

Comments

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last Thursday, Ford announced that it would reduce the number of electric vehicles it had planned to produce, because there weren’t going to be enough customers who could afford to buy them. Ford CFO John Lawler said that because EVs are “too expensive” for most car buyers, the company was “going to balance supply with demand” by reducing its supply. Instead of turning out 600,000 electric cars and trucks by the end of this year, it would hit that mark at the end of next year. Instead of producing two million such vehicles by the end of 2026, it would turn out that many at some later date.

https://prospect.org/economy/2023-07-31-ford-electric-cars-arent-affordable/

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023

@silvermouse said:
    Last Thursday, Ford announced that it would reduce the number of electric vehicles it had planned to produce, because there weren’t going to be enough customers who could afford to buy them. Ford CFO John Lawler said that because EVs are “too expensive” for most car buyers, the company was “going to balance supply with demand” by reducing its supply. Instead of turning out 600,000 electric cars and trucks by the end of this year, it would hit that mark at the end of next year. Instead of producing two million such vehicles by the end of 2026, it would turn out that many at some later date.

https://prospect.org/economy/2023-07-31-ford-electric-cars-arent-affordable/

I can fix that problem. Eliminate all taxation on every phase of development and production and all of America will drive EV's next year. With all taxation eliminated the new product should sell for less than $5K per unit. There you go.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

$42/20 rds. Holy cow.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    I can fix that problem. Eliminate all taxation on every phase of development and production and all of America will drive EV's next year. With all taxation eliminated the new product should sell for less than $5K per unit. There you go.

I still wouldn't buy one.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

Talk about a disaster waiting to happen…
    https://news.join1440.com/t/j-l-euititt-diudtyiuhk-jl/

• Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

It continues to stun me that this is legal. The worse that Thomas Carper can make the economy using his congressional power, the richer he gets. This is the same as an athlete betting against his own team in a sporting event, and no one seems to care.

• Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rdp77 said:
    Talk about a disaster waiting to happen…
    https://news.join1440.com/t/j-l-euititt-diudtyiuhk-jl/

Don't touch the wall when you open the window

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options
  • Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was an interesting paragraph I found in the article…

Children need to stop being thrown in the middle of peoples political views…no matter what they are. It’s coming from both sides.

• Options

Why do governments trust that their web accessible network security is bulletproof?

China hacked Japan’s classified defense networks, alarming top U.S. national security officials
    In the fall of 2020, the National Security Agency made a shocking discovery: Chinese military hackers had compromised sensitive systems of the United States’s most important strategic ally in East Asia. Tokyo is making efforts, but the problem still isn't fully fixed

• Options

And then there is this b.s.

"Three years later, some Florida school districts are shying away from Shakespeare, along with other classic and popular materials. They say they’re attempting to comply with new state law restricting books with and instruction about sexual content.

Hillsborough County became the latest to take this step, telling teachers they could assign excerpts of plays such as “Romeo and Juliet,” but not the full text.

“I think the rest of the nation — no, the world, is laughing us,” Gaither High teacher Joseph Cool said after learning of the directive. “Taking Shakespeare in its entirety out because the relationship between Romeo and Juliet is somehow exploiting minors is just absurd.” ."

https://www.tampabay.com/news/education/2023/08/08/concerns-over-sex-content-leads-florida-schools-pull-shakespeare/

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^ My WTF because, well WTF?

Allan Bloom warned us. He wrote that "tolerance" would be The Closing of the American Mind. I thought "No way, that doesn't make sense". He was right, I was wrong.

The rest of the world is indeed laughing at us. Our pants are down, they're just waiting for us to bend over.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

More state interference into personal liberties and free speech.

Florida Students Now Need Parental Permission to Use Nicknames, 'Alternate' Names Under New Ron DeSantis Rule

https://people.com/florida-students-now-need-parental-permission-use-non-legal-name-7571342

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems very much like,…. More state interference into personal liberties and free speech.

From the article-
    Ryan Reganos has had the license plate 357 MAG in Georgia for nearly 20 years. During that time, he’s never had an issue. As he changed vehicles, he simply transferred the tag to the new one.

Yet, as things tend to do, the plate started looking a little rough. So, he applied for a new one with the same message on it. That’s when things got interesting.

“I was approved with no problems, received a temporary tag while waiting on the new prestige plate,” Reganos said. He continued, “Shortly afterward, I received a letter in the mail of denial. The denial said, ‘Contains any combination of letters or numbers which might reasonably result in an immediate breach of the peace.'”

That seems more than a little strange.

After all, 357 MAG may be a gun reference, but it’s not a threat to anyone or likely to cause any understandable upset. Moreover, Reganos notes that it’s not like this was a new request.

“I have had this tag since was 16 or 17 years old. I am 36 right now. Paid taxes on it every year when all the renewal notice came. This tag has never caused an issue much less an immediate breach of the peace in the 20 years of ownership nor experienced spontaneous violence associated with it,” he said.

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's calamari, probably tastes like the wax ring though.

A little dirt never hurt