Home Non Cigar Related

you can't make this stuff up

Comments

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    “You watch the news and you read the papers and you’re led to believe that the world is a big, scary place. People, the narrative goes, are not to be trusted. People are bad. People are evil. People are axe murderers and monsters and worse. I don’t buy it. Evil is a make-believe concept we’ve invented to deal with the complexities of fellow humans holding values and beliefs and perspectives different than our own…”  Jay Austin

Millennial couple Jay Austin and Lauren Geoghegan quit their jobs in Washington, DC, and departed for a year-long biking tour around the world. Austin, a vegan who worked for the US Department of Housing and Urban Development, and Geoghegan, a vegetarian who worked in the Georgetown University admissions office, decided that they were wasting their lives working.

On July 29, in Tajikistan five Islamists drove their car into the group of cyclists, then emerged with knives, killing Austin and Geoghegan as well as a Swiss and a Netherlander.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• YaksterYakster Posts: 27,211 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neighbor Calls Police, Child Services About 8-Year-Old Girl Walking Dog

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/police-called-girl-walking-dog_us_5b804e1ee4b0cd327dfc87a3

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Just saw the headline that the White House isn't lowering the flag to half mast for John McCain.  

Seriously???????????!

Because he didn't march lockstep with Der Fuhrer?  

I hope there's a better explanation.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    not all that fond of our present president, but...
    "U.S. Flag Code states that flags be lowered "on the day of death and the following day for a Member of Congress." so I guess for once DJT is playing 'by the book'.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They brought it back down to half staff later today.
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Media blasted Trump for once following protocol. This time he did nothing wrong
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Diver43 said:
    Media blasted Trump for once following protocol. This time he did nothing wrong

WOW......I would not have thought that possible.
    The way it looked, and my bad, I only glanced, it seemed like they weren't doing it at all.  Then, I thought about Ted Kennedy, in my old and cob-webbed memory it seemed like it was half-mast for at least two weeks, and in my opinion John McCain deserves quite a bit more respect than Teddy boy.  So, glad to hear something's being done.  
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    glad I'm not using Yahoo mail any more:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/yahoo-bucking-industry-scans-emails-for-data-to-sell-advertisers-1535466959?mod=e2fb
    He said Yahoo offers an ad-free email service for which customers pay $3.49 a month. It also scans the emails sent in that service. Yahoo provides an opt-out option to users of both the free and paid services.

Yahoo’s algorithms look for commercial emails and identifies them using a database of commonly sent emails. The algorithms link certain types of emails to certain consumer preferences, and then places a “cookie,” a piece of tracking code, on that user’s computer to help advertisers show them messages in the future.

In its privacy policy, Oath says all Yahoo Mail users may have portions of some emails reviewed by human employees. Oath employees may manually review sections of mass-mailed commercial emails that appear to be “boilerplate,” or the same for many users, the policy says.

PETA wants Maine officials to build gravestone in memory of lobsters who died in truck crash
    http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2018/08/30/peta-wants-maine-officials-to-build-gravestone-in-memory-lobsters-who-died-in-truck-crash.html

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:
    If it shortens the lines at all, I may have to go get a double-double.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    Wylaff said:
    jd50ae said:
    If it shortens the lines at all, I may have to go get a double-double.

They will be longer I am glad/afraid to say.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LA Times Quote of the day - priceless!

Dianne Feinstein: " All vets are mentally ill in some way and government should prevent them from owning firearms."
    Yep, - she really said it on Thursday in a meeting in front of the Senate Judiciary Committee.... And the quote below from the LA Times is priceless. Sometimes even the L.A. Times gets it right.

Kurt Nimmo: "Senator Feinstein insults all U.S. Veterans as she flails about in a vain attempt to save her anti-firearms bill."

Quote of the Day from the Los Angeles Times:
    "Frankly, I don ' t know what it is about California , but we seem to have a strange urge to elect really obnoxious women to high office. I ' m not bragging, you understand, but no other state, including Maine , even comes close. When it comes to sending left-wing dingbats to Washington , we ' re Number One. There ' s no getting around the fact that the last time anyone saw the likes of Barbara Boxer, Dianne Feinstein, Maxine Waters, and Nancy Pelosi, they were stirring a cauldron when the curtain went up on ' Macbeth ' . The four of them are like jackasses who happen to possess the gift of blab. You don ' t know if you should condemn them for their stupidity or simply marvel at their ability to form words."
    Columnist Burt Prelutsky,
    Los Angeles Times

Be sure to forward this to all of the "mentally ill" vets you know…
    especially the ones with guns

jlmarta said:
    LA Times Quote of the day - priceless!

Dianne Feinstein: " All California Congresswomen are mentally ill in some way and government should prevent them."

There, Dianne, fixed it for ya!

And Marty, Thanks for the LA Times quote.  Gives me hope there's some intelligence on the Left Coast.  Amos Umwhat, gun-toting vet.

You don't hear from calalafornia "elected representatives" for long periods of time. And when you do, you wish you had not, and hope you will never hear from them again.

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,828 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank goodness our gas stations now have a safe place. You know if you should become overwhelmed by the whole process.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Unborn victims of Roe v. Wade were not available to testify at the hearings.

YankeeMan said:

Worked in  in Virginia. McAuliffe pardoned 200k convicted felons and won by 70k votes. Cause, you know, their assumption is that criminals vote Democrat.

webmost said:
    @webmost very possibly the single best video ever posted on this forum.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was absolutely hilarious! 😂
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're making a lot of sense, are you sure you're in the right room? Pure gold 
    I subscribed to these funny guys.