Home Non Cigar Related

you can't make this stuff up

Comments

• SasquatchSasquatch Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    My apologies. I didn't realize the number quoted had been adjusted for inflation. I was just going off memories.
    The quote was not aimed at you, or your beliefs, but rather to put a new spin on the question you posed of wealth vs greed. There is a line that separates the two, how fine it is & where it is, depends on who you talk to. Everybody will draw the line in differing places due to the multitude of factors that make each of us unique. ex. ask Wall Street fund manager vs  Romanian farmer.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone here read Petronius' Satyricon?

I ought to record that and include it among the others at laterdude.com . If only I had time.

Anyhoo, Petronius in Nero's time captures the same crises of character rampant now.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I noticed NBC was ignoring Peter Fonda Jr's tweets so I looked online to see if anyone else was keeping track of who turned a blind eye. Sure enough,........ NBC CBS and ABC each nightly news and morning show, pretended like it didn't happen.  If he had been a conservative, all kinda hell woulda' broke loose. Way worse than Roseanne. 

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any of them covering the time rag cover?
    No, thought not. Just the grandstanding charlatans getting more space.
    jd50ae said:
    Any of them covering the time rag cover?
    No, thought not. Just the grandstanding charlatans getting more space.
    I assume you are being sarcastic. You know dang well all of them spent time showing off the time cover. 
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to think that Time magazine was fairly neutral in all this political BS, but just looking at that cover, you have to just go, "WTF Time?"
    What genius though the cover was a good idea.

I laughed when I read an excerpt from on article about it.
    As The Washington Post's Samantha Schmidt and Kristine Phillips report, the girl's father says the child and her mother were never separated. U.S. Customs and Border Protection confirmed it, as did the Honduran deputy foreign minister.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.

edited June 2018
    They have never been neutral. Years ago they ran an anti-gun piece and talked about 26 (I think) young people killed by guns. Some other magazine and a TV channel news show did a fact check and they were killed either in drug deals gone bad or some other crime. I think 2 were suicides. 
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

In Vermont, Pure Outrage Over Pure Syrup

The FDA may require an ‘added sugars’ nutrition label on maple syrup and honey that producers say implies their goods are adulterated

https://www.wsj.com/articles/in-vermont-pure-outrage-over-pure-syrup-1530031226?mod=e2fb
    edited June 2018
    Are you able to copy & paste the article, @silvermouse? Those of us who do not subscribe to WSJ only get to read the first teaser sentence, which makes your link fairly pointless.

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried and got this rejection: "Body is 3030 characters too long."

Are they going to demand the label "added sugar" to bags of sugar, too? Just dumb.

couple of quotes:

Soon, under a new regulation, the couple may need something else on its labels:

“Added Sugars.”

Their response: Huh?

“Anyone with any sense would go, ‘that’s dumb,’ ” Mr. Folino says. “All we do is get rid of water from pure maple sap.”

A deep philosophical debateThe U.S. Food and Drug Administration says yes, and has said it will require maple syrup and honey makers to include that added-sugars disclosure on their “Nutrition Facts” labels—part of a revamp of America’s nutrition-labeling rules as the nation battles obesity. is playing out in Vermont and a few other states over the fundamental nature of maple syrup and honey. Can it be an added sugar if no sugar is added?

The FDA’s new rule says its definition of added sugars “includes sugars that are either added during the processing of foods, or are packaged as such, and include sugars (free, mono- and disaccharides), sugars from syrups and honey.”

By the government’s definition, pure honey and maple syrup themselves are added sugars because, like table sugar or high-fructose corn syrup, they add calories to the diet but few or no nutrients.

• Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aren't there also laws on the books about false advertising? Would labeling pure syrup as diluted syrup cross these laws? Seems like a catch 22 to me
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Government fix:  the stupidest possible solution to a problem that doesn't exist.  :/
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Government fix:  the stupidest possible solution to a problem that doesn't exist.  :/
    Not that stupid if you're busy justifying your fat gummint paycheck and benefits, and you long ago ran out of anything useful to do. Then it's brilliant.

Q: Why do government workers never look out the window in the morning?

A: So they'll have something to do in the afternoon.

edited June 2018
    In conversations around abortion rights, we (people who talk about abortion) use the word “women” a lot. As in, women need access to safe abortion, women deserve the right to determine what’s best for themselves and their families. When we only talk about women, and when we assume that abortion seekers are always women, we erase the experiences oftrans and non binary folks who want and have abortions.
    (sic)

@NARAL

edited June 2018
    @webmost
    So there are more than 2 genders?
    And more than females can now become pregnant?

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:

0patience said:
    @webmost
    So there are more than 2 genders?
    And more than females can now become pregnant?

I watched a youtube about this very subject yesterday so now I'm expertly aware of the practical and relevant need for me, personally to avoid the subject. 
    Years ago I was asked by a friend what I thought about abortions. Make it short. I gave her my answer and asked her what the father thought about it.
    I told her if she kept the baby she would go after the father for support, so why shouldn't his wishes be important. Men are seldom considered at all.
    edited June 2018
    I never understood the desire for a third (or fourth, fifth, etc.) option. To some small degree I can at least rationalize someone with gender dysphoria desiring to be the other gender but what kind of narcissistic snowflake do you have to be to demand that the only two naturally occurring (barring medical anomalies) biological layouts aren't enough to choose from? Am I alone on this train of thought? I'm a man that is pregnant. Oh so you're a seahorse?
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 27,211 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can practically see the new message number spin on the discussions page.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    Have Preppers been right all along?
    Depends on the prepper
    edited June 2018
    edited July 2018

Oregon right-wingers clash with anti-fascists at march in Portland

Oh wait, Portland is full of vegan, pot smoking, peaceful people though, they would never do something like this.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, is she blond, or what??
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:

Oregon right-wingers clash with anti-fascists at march in Portland

Oh wait, Portland is full of vegan, pot smoking, peaceful people though, they would never do something like this.

Maybe they imported them from Chicago or Detroit, someplace like that.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:

So, is she blond, or what??
    Sharks don't nibble like bunnies and hamsters? WTF. Lesson learned. I don't think I have ever seen a shark documentary where  hand feeding off the side of a boat is showcased.