Home Cigar 101
Options

Making own Cigars

Comments

• Options
    BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And I also have a couple in the works from some people who woodcraft and they will get back to me with a price. I am expecting something in the range of $60, which is acceptable for a new, well made press. I'll keep you all posted in case there is any interest.

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • Options
    A possible solution to a tuck cutter (since they are expensive):
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014W4PA36/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I bought a used one for $24.99 and will be testing it.

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    @webmost That looks really cool, like something you would need to open a vault on an episode of SG1. But, unfortunately I have arthritis. :#
  • Options
    BKDog said:
    @webmost That looks really cool, like something you would need to open a vault on an episode of SG1. But, unfortunately I have arthritis. :#
    Can't use scissors?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    webmost said:
    BKDog said:
    Can't use scissors?

Too complicated, it's like Chinese arithmetic. I was once an incredible ninja in a previous life and I learned this while playing the Fruit Ninja game. Anyway, I'd hate to bore you with the particulars, but chopping is my thing; scissoring is just 'uncivilized'.
  • Options
    TBonzTBonz Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A friend just gave me a cutter exactly like that...someone had given it to him when he smoked cigars but now he just vapes so he passed it on...
  • Options
    El_FumadorEl_Fumador Posts: 276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No mold or, tuck cutter needed. best to learn without them.
    tobacco, roll with it.  Marc L
  • Options
    El_FumadorEl_Fumador Posts: 276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://i.imgur.com/2bj6YK3.jpg
    tobacco, roll with it.  Marc L
  • Options
    perfect

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    Rolled a couple last night, tested the Tekut cutter. Jury is still out, but it does work.

• Options
    BKDog said:

I rolled a couple special 7x42 cigars this evening, just got them finished. I used 8 different tobaccos in this one, with a San Andres wrapper and double binder of aged PA and Ecuadorian corojo. I can't wait to try these out!
    Mottlelicious

• Options
    Dang, I meant "Criollo 98" binder. Oh well. :D
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Them pigtails are nice. 
  • Options
    TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow @BKDog you got skills man.
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • Options
    Wow @BKDog you got skills man.
    Maybe. Jury is still out. I smoked two so far that were rolled too tight and it was deeply disturbing. Thank you for the kind support, though! I think I've got most of this down pretty well so far, from binder to wrapper layout and cutting to rolling, but it took about 7 batches to get there. I learned how to be more exact in my portioning of tobacco for lancero's since they are so thin and too much pressure (even the same amount you would apply for a robusto) will make the lancero mesh the leaves together creating a jam. Long story made longer, I had to lessen my portions and teach myself to roll differently just for these buggers. Thus far, I've been able to successfully roll 7 to 8 inch lancero cigars with little trouble. Just since that earlier post I made, I managed to roll two more batches of 6 and they have excellent draw on the dry pull. Now I just have to wait to see if they smoke well. I make a bed of filler leaves cut to size before I roll, and I roll the ligero and other dark filler like the Flojo together in the center before I fold and roll the whole thing, and this helps me to create an even burn and not run into bulges and knots from hand bunching like I can easily avoid with a robusto or larger gauge. Trial and error, my man.
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't feel bad, I run into this problem with professionally rolled lanceros, it's a tougher vitola to get right.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @El_Fumador what do you do with all of these cigars?
    Don't look ↑