Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Post Every Boring Aspect Of Your Mundane Life Thread

Comments

• Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had a leak in the bathroom. Traced it down to a pinhole in the copper pipe that brings water in from our well. Cut off the well pump and the hot water heater. Went up to my studio and got a couple of hose clamps and a piece of rubber inner tube. Got my headlamp and some tools and crawled in behind the pressure tank. Tight fit but I put the patch on a clinched her up. Still leaking a small drip but have a fair and honest fellow coming tomorrow to replace what needs it.

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

Use a fine grit sandpaper to clean the pipe well use a small amount of flux and drop a bead of solder on it.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good to hear you were able to patch it for the time being. Was it chafed through or just randomly popped a hole?

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Remember plumbers bread is just Wonder bread without the crust.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've used that method to patch battle damaged hydraulic lines. Was good to 3000 psi.

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

yeah, but what do you do with the rest of the "bread"?

• Options

I hear it makes a good suppository. :D

• Options

@First_Warrior said:
    Had a leak in the bathroom. Traced it down to a pinhole in the copper pipe that brings water in from our well. Cut off the well pump and the hot water heater. Went up to my studio and got a couple of hose clamps and a piece of rubber inner tube. Got my headlamp and some tools and crawled in behind the pressure tank. Tight fit but I put the patch on a clinched her up. Still leaking a small drip but have a fair and honest fellow coming tomorrow to replace what needs it.

where I live a lot of people had that problem until the town started adding calcium hydroxide to our acid ground water. I used your approach with short term success then went to the hardware store and bought a clamp and gasket assembly that has held for years. Cost about $5. Plumbers here charge $125/hour....

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,545 ✭✭✭✭✭

Removed all copper from my plumbing some time back. The well water eats it like corn flakes.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

The pinhole leak is underneath a section right at a joint that is in a real small space so the only way I found it was by touch. The patch seems to be holding but it may be time to replace the copper with PVC.

• Options

^^^^^ Go with PEX if you're going to replace it. Easier to work with, no glue and it'll handle being frozen a few times before it fails.

• Options

why do plumbers install water heaters with the pipes jammed in between the wall and the heater?

• Options

yard work and splitting/carrying wood

• Options

Meanwhile, here's the big news in my sleepy town:

Truck hits fire hydrant in Dennis
    Jessica Hill
    Cape Cod Times

DENNIS — A tractor trailer hit a fire hydrant Monday morning on Upper County Road.

The Dennis Fire Department responded to the scene at at 143 Upper County Rd. at about 7:23 a.m. The town's water department also responded to the crash.

No further information was available Monday morning.

• Options

mowing leaves, drinking Japanese organic roasted kukicha.

• Options

@silvermouse said:
    Meanwhile, here's the big news in my sleepy town:

Truck hits fire hydrant in Dennis
    Jessica Hill
    Cape Cod Times

DENNIS — A tractor trailer hit a fire hydrant Monday morning on Upper County Road.

The Dennis Fire Department responded to the scene at at 143 Upper County Rd. at about 7:23 a.m. The town's water department also responded to the crash.

No further information was available Monday morning.

They got three stop signs, two police officers, and one police
    Car, but when we got to the scene of the crime, there was five police
    Officers and three police cars, bein' the biggest crime of the last fifty
    Years and everybody wanted to get in the newspaper story about it.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:
    "Watch where the fvck you're driving!"

Should've had a co-pilot yelling at me this morning... navigating through a parking lot, I cut the corner too sharp and rode up over a curb. What a dumbass move; scraped the crap outa my front right alloy and when the car came off the curb it landed on the 'frame' behind the wheel and pushed the fender up. So the fender and maybe what it mounts to is trashed.

Now the car I bought new in '15 and kept perfect is no longer perfect. Time to head to the body shop and I could see it easily be $2K to fix. I'm such a codger.

Well, my baby's back home, all put back together again. No harm, no foul... except for the bill; the fender/rocker panel/new alloy wheel set me back 14 boxes of premium hand-rolled cigars.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

Geez, @peter4jc, if I had known you were down 14 boxes of premium handrolled cigars, I'd a sent you some of my ammo box La Fincas. Unfortunately, they are all boxed up and ready to ship to @Vision for his dad. Maybe he will select a few of the prime ones and send them to you.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's time for the annual oil change in my Subaru. Since the oil filter is sitting on top and I have this pneumatic Mighty Vac fluid evacuator, I don't have to crawl underneath the car anymore.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:

@peter4jc said:
    "Watch where the fvck you're driving!"

Should've had a co-pilot yelling at me this morning... navigating through a parking lot, I cut the corner too sharp and rode up over a curb. What a dumbass move; scraped the crap outa my front right alloy and when the car came off the curb it landed on the 'frame' behind the wheel and pushed the fender up. So the fender and maybe what it mounts to is trashed.

Now the car I bought new in '15 and kept perfect is no longer perfect. Time to head to the body shop and I could see it easily be $2K to fix. I'm such a codger.

Well, my baby's back home, all put back together again. No harm, no foul... except for the bill; the fender/rocker panel/new alloy wheel set me back 14 boxes of premium hand-rolled cigars.

I lol'd this, not because of your misfortune Peter, but because I also look at some of my spending in terms of cigars I could have bought as well.

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^^@peter4jc - that’s pretty intricate, Dude. What’s intarsia called when it’s done with liver sausage?? 🤓😜

• Options
    edited November 2020

Hired a philippino kid to fill the four open shifts I had about ten days ago. Today he tells me he needs to take a month off to go home and renew his passport. smh. I guess I'm putting the Help Wanted sign back out.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

That bites. I hate having to go through the hiring / training process.

I'll have to remember to ask candidates about any requirements for near-term time-off in upcoming interviews.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )