Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Quote Of The Day

Comments

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

" The first person who told me about the evil in the world was my grandmother…The poor woman had more sense than most people. She listened to Mussolini, Hitler, Stalin, and other lunatics on the radio and since she knew several languages, she understood the imbecilities they were saying. What upset her even more than their vile words was their cheering followers. I didn’t realize it then, but she taught me a lesson that has stuck. Beware of the so-called great leaders and the collective euphorias they excite."

--Charles Simic

• Options
    Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the plan doesn't work
    Change the plan
    But never the goal.
    Unknown

You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

"...as far as I know, the only things sitting on your butt and feeling sorry for yourself ever accomplished were bad poetry and bedsores." -- planned ending of my speech to my Mom.

She's at that point in arthritis where it hurts so much to get up, but if you don't get up you're just going to end up hurting worse. :(

Need to keep telling myself the same thing.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:
    "Our doubts are traitors, which make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt." Shakespeare

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options

the “fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.”
    Bertrand Russell, 1933, referring to the rise of Nazification of Germany

• Options

Squirrel who runs up woman's leg will not find nuts.

• Options

“Remember when ATLAS tried to reduce the number of meetings? They formed a committee. That [committee] could not find a time to meet, due to conflicting meetings… so it cancelled its own meeting… and declared success!”
    Particle physicist Daniel Whiteson recalls how one research group at CERN tackled meeting overload. (Twitter)

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every election is a sort of advance auction sale of stolen goods.

H. L. Mencken

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options

From memory, so probably not exactly word for word, but timely nonetheless:

"Those who are willing to trade their precious liberties for a promise of security deserve neither." -- Benjamin Franklin

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

“Only he who has no use for the empire is fit to be entrusted with it.”
    ― Zhuangzi, The Complete Works of Chuang Tzu

• Options

@silvermouse said:
    “Only he who has no use for the empire is fit to be entrusted with it.”
    ― Zhuangzi, The Complete Works of Chuang Tzu

I only can only think of two: Cincinnatus and George Washington; tho Frederick of Prussia might be considered. Anyone have others to add?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options

"One thing I miss is the time when America had big dreams about the future. Now it seems like nobody has big hopes for the future. We all seem to think that it's going to be just like it is now, only worse."
    --Andy Warhol

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I learned the trick to flipping things in skillets a while back. The trick is committing to it and trusting that you will be able to catch what you watch twisting about in the air. You don't know that you will, you simply intend to and then go."

A metaphor for living.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:
    "I learned the trick to flipping things in skillets a while back. The trick is committing to it and trusting that you will be able to catch what you watch twisting about in the air. You don't know that you will, you simply intend to and then go."

A metaphor for living.

Of course, trying it with a pan clearly not shaped to allow it is rather counter-productive.

So sayeth the Oldfart.... 👴🏻👍

• Options

"Every great cause begins as a movement, becomes a business, and eventually degenerates into a racket." - Eric Hoffer

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into." - Jonathan Swift

• Options

When this quarantine is over, let's not tell some people.
    --?

• Options
    edited June 2020

Image may contain: 1 person, text that says 'Have we reached the ultimate stage of absurdity where some people are held responsible for things that happened before they were born, while other people are not held responsible for what what they themselves are doing today? @SowellDaily Thomas Sowell'![]

• Options

"Fear is the mind-killer"

--Frank Herbert, Dune.

• Options

"If you are planning to open a large retail store in a major Democratic city, don't name it Target."

Pookie

• Options

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
    --Isaac Asimov--

• Options
    Michael_walkMichael_walk Posts: 38 ✭✭

"A **** up or lack of planning on your part.....does not constitute an emergency on mine"
    -unknown, learned from my 1st Sergeant when I became a squad leader many years ago.

• Options

"I believe in climate change, there is a book that proves it, it's called the Almanac."
    @kswildcat

I bumbled onto this today. Thot it was funny as hell.

• Options

• Options

@silvermouse said:

You don't say!

• Options

• Options

I'm a co-pilot.

• Options

OK, can I be the navigator?

• Options

Yes, of course... to both of you.

Just realize there are no parachutes on this plane so you can't jump and survive.