Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Quote Of The Day

Comments

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nah, we're all good brother. Not pissêd.

@peter4jc said:
    That makes me ask, does a meme have to 100% accurate to achieve its intended outcome? IOW, the Einstein meme is flawed, but can it still contain a truth? I say yes.

What truth does this thing contain? I would say that 97 people out of 100 would misinterpret Einstein's message as a brilliant guy thinking that liberal institutions are bad. That's how I took it, and I'm (mostly) reasonable. That's not Einstein's message. So no, i don't think that the meme is truthful in that sense. I think it's deceitful. Add church in there, and it's truthful but would never get circulated.

Good discussion.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

The dumber you portray yourself, the more people listen.

• Anonymous (or a politician. I don't know.) :D

There are times when being smart enough to let them think you are dumb, can work to your advantage.

• Me

If you have to prove how good or smart you are, you have just proven you are not.

• Me
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:
    Nah, we're all good brother. Not pissêd.

@peter4jc said:
    That makes me ask, does a meme have to 100% accurate to achieve its intended outcome? IOW, the Einstein meme is flawed, but can it still contain a truth? I say yes.

What truth does this thing contain? I would say that 97 people out of 100 would misinterpret Einstein's message as a brilliant guy thinking that liberal institutions are bad. That's how **I took it**, and I'm (mostly) reasonable. That's not Einstein's message. So no, i don't think that the meme is truthful in that sense. I think it's deceitful. Add church in there, and it's truthful but would never get circulated.

Good discussion.

Do you think that perhaps you're reading your own bias into this? Consider for a moment that 1. Einstein was definitely NOT talking about a liberal ruling class, he was talking about the state of German affairs in the 1930's, decidedly not liberal. And 2. currently we have a Republican "Conservative" President and Senate, essentially our ruling class, so why would anyone assume that it is Liberality that's being assessed? Lastly, 3. Ruling class always tries to own and manipulate those things, as well as Religion and The Military, so there does indeed seem to be quite a bit of over-arching Truth in the statement of the meme.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

I absolutely agree with you if 1) you know anything about Einstein and 2) you understand what the ruling class truly is.

But you can't play me for a fool, either. The Patriot Post is a conservative organization creating political and conservative propaganda. They left "church" out of the quote, and they did so on purpose. This is the expertise of their craft. They take a famous, liberal, and we'll respected person and find a quote from him, and then they intentionally twist it into the message they want to portray. When people start spread it and use it, it becomes truth whether or not it's factually correct.

Don't look ↑
  • Options

And by the way, you can do this on the other side all day long too. someone find one, and we can have some fun with the leftists as well!

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

Crapola... thought this was the meme thread.

Sorry...

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stubble said:
    Crapola... thought this was the meme thread.

Sorry...

Nope. This is the thread where we prove US universities and the media are left-leaning bastions of Marxism and are intent on changing our nation into something it was never meant to be.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

And how the churches are too, oh wait never mind that doesn't fit the narrative...

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    edited August 2020

And how the churches are too, oh wait never mind that doesn't fit the narrative... >:)o:)o:)B):#

Don't look ↑
  • Options

@VegasFrank said:
    I absolutely agree with you if 1) you know anything about Einstein and 2) you understand what the ruling class truly is.

But you can't play me for a fool, either. The Patriot Post is a conservative organization creating political and conservative propaganda. They left "church" out of the quote, and they did so on purpose. This is the expertise of their craft. They take a famous, liberal, and we'll respected person and find a quote from him, and then they intentionally twist it into the message they want to portray. When people start spread it and use it, it becomes truth whether or not it's factually correct.

1) I've read a biography or two, long ago, but most of what I know about Einstein I learned in a collection of his writings titled:
    "Ideas and Opinions", 1992 Modern Library Edition originally published by Crown Publishers in 1954.

Excerpt from the introduction by Alan Lightman:

"Ideas and Opinions" reveals Albert Einstein, perhaps the greatest scientist of all time, as a whole human being...a deeply moral and philosophical thinker, whose clarity in human affairs matched his clarity in science...

The book covers Einsteins written thoughts and opinions concerning nearly everything, to include politics, government, pacifism, Jewishness, Germany, as well as his contributions to science.

2) Regarding the ruling class, I think Paul Simon said it best: "A loose affiliation of Millionaires and Billionaires..."

And, I agree with you. Patriot Post makes a living churning out "Conservative" propaganda. And the Left is just as guilty of twisting facts, speech, ideas as the Right is. A single episode of Stephen Colbert, or 15 - 30 minutes of CNN should prove this amply to any open mind.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    And the Left is just as guilty of twisting facts, speech, ideas as the Right is. A single episode of Stephen Colbert, or 15 - 30 minutes of CNN should prove this amply to any open mind.

CNN can't report the truth if it saved their lives.
    The left and right deal in myth-information.
    I would say Mis-information, but they have things so twisted, they are myths.
    It is no wonder that people have a hard time figuring out the truth.
    Reporters are supposed to disseminate the facts, instead, they distort the facts to suit their narrative.

I'm amazed when they talk about something being illegal or unconstitutional, when you check the laws, you find out that they weren't even close to the truth.
    They rely on the fact that the layman has no idea what laws there are.
    They feed on the prey, which is the people of the US.

The enemy, to them, is someone who is educated, informed and knows how to determine what information is fact and what is not.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought this was the quote thread where'd all the quotes go :D

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

“Within heart of man is a God shaped vacuum, that cannot be filled by anything created, but only by the Creator Himself.”

Blaise Pascal

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

What Pascal actually said, before it was condensed for popular consumption;

“What else does this craving, and this helplessness, proclaim but that there was once in man a true happiness, of which all that now remains is the empty print and trace?

This he tries in vain to fill with everything around him, seeking in things that are not there the help he cannot find in those that are, though none can help, since this infinite abyss can be filled only with an infinite and immutable object; in other words by God himself”

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

a thoughtful essay from several years ago here:
    Is Ideology Becoming America's Official Religion?
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnhart/2017/11/30/is-ideology-becoming-americas-official-religion/#575a0d9d164b

• Options

@peter4jc said:
    What Pascal actually said, before it was condensed for popular consumption;

“What else does this craving, and this helplessness, proclaim but that there was once in man a true happiness, of which all that now remains is the empty print and trace?

This he tries in vain to fill with everything around him, seeking in things that are not there the help he cannot find in those that are, though none can help, since this infinite abyss can be filled only with an infinite and immutable object; in other words by God himself”

I prefer the pithy version, myself.
    Maybe he said both?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just because you're full of Shyt, dosen't make you an @hole

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options

"Never be haughty to the humble, nor humble to the haughty."
    Jefferson Davis

• Options

"Making stuff always teaches the maker."
    -- Rodger, @First_Warrior

• Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can take the girl out of the country but you can’t make a purse out of a sows ear.
    Me

• Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭

When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout. ]

• Options

@First_Warrior said:
    When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout. ]

I remember Robert A. Heinlein using that in a few of his books.

• Options

"The hidden harmony is stronger than the apparent"
    --Heraclitus

• Options
    Shaner9erShaner9er Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

"I do not like green eggs and ham." -Guy-Am-I

• Options

Ever notice that the people who make the most noise about "keeping everything natural" are the same ones who demand that everyone put their dog poop into a plastic bag?