Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Quote Of The Day

Comments

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll be the radio operator

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I figured that out.

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:
    Yes, of course... to both of you.

Just realize there are no parachutes on this plane so you can't jump and survive.

I’m not so sure of that. My father managed to die twice - once when he had a heart attack while fixing a leaking roof. He collapsed onto the roof and his body very slowly began to roll toward the edge.

When he fell off, he landed on his side with one arm pinned beneath him. The doctor said he’d been dead for about a minute and a half but the jolt of hitting the ground got his heart started again. It broke his arm and some ribs but he lived a few more years after that

• Options
    MrShrekMrShrek Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Laws change; people die; the land remains," - Abraham Lincoln

• Options

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

“How did you go bankrupt?"
    "Two ways. Gradually, then suddenly.”

― Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    edited July 2020

hashtagBreadLoavesMatter
    When asked why violent crime has recently skyrocketed in NYC, AOC replied:

"Maybe this has to do with the fact that people aren't paying their rent and are scared to pay their rent. So they go out and they need to feed their child and they don't have money so...they feel like they either need to shoplift some bread or go hungry."

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options

Jimmy Carter, in 1979, said:

All the legislation in the world can’t fix what’s wrong with America. So, I want to speak to you first tonight about a subject even more serious than energy or inflation. I want to talk to you right now about a fundamental threat to American democracy.

In a nation that was proud of hard work, strong families, close-knit communities, and our faith in God, too many of us now tend to worship self-indulgence and consumption. Human identity is no longer defined by what one does, but by what one owns.

We’ve discovered that owning things and consuming things does not satisfy our longing for meaning. We’ve learned that piling up material goods cannot fill the emptiness of lives which have no confidence or purpose.

The symptoms of this crisis of the American spirit are all around us. The willingness of Americans to save for the future has fallen below that of all other people in the Western world. There is a growing disrespect for government and for churches and for schools, the news media, and other institutions.

These changes did not happen overnight. They’ve come upon us gradually over the last generation, years that were filled with shocks and tragedy. These wounds are still very deep. They have never been healed.

We are at a turning point in our history. There are two paths to choose. One is a path I’ve warned about tonight, the path that leads to fragmentation and self-interest. Down that road lies a mistaken idea of freedom, the right to grasp for ourselves some advantage over others.

That path would be one of constant conflict between narrow interests ending in chaos and immobility. It is a certain route to failure.

All the traditions of our past, all the lessons of our heritage, all the promises of our future point to another path -- the path of common purpose and the restoration of American values.

I will do my best, but I will not do it alone. Let your voice be heard. Whenever you have a chance, say something good about our country. With God’s help and for the sake of our nation, it is time for us to join hands in America. Working together with our common faith we cannot fail.

• Options

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:

Why are half the posts I click on blank?

• Options

@jd50ae said:

@Yakster said:

Because the other

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

@webmost said:

@jd50ae said:

@Yakster said:

Because the other

I see all the

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options

@jd50ae these posts have images in them that you're not seeing.

Did you change your phone or browser on your computer recently? You may need to check your settings or change your browser to allow the downloading and viewing of images to see these posts.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I am an optimist. It does not seem too much use being anything else."

• Winston Churchill
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

"Learn how to be happy with what you have while you pursue all that you want." -Jim Rohn

• Options

• Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

@webmost said:

As an educator, I think this is utter bullshít.

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Options

@VegasFrank said:

Don't take this the wrong way, but, as a whole, I think that educators are inculcating utter bullshit.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have an excellent command of vocabulary webmost.

• Options

It's too bad that you don't have such excellent command of the facts, @webmost. That was not Einstein actually said, but let's not that get in the way of a good meme I guess.

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Options

@webmost said:

@VegasFrank said:

Don't take this the wrong way, but, as a whole, I think that educators are inculcating utter bullshit.

Clearly, you're educated.

• Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

@webmost said:

@VegasFrank said:

I have been married to an educator over 17 years, have never seen or heard her udders do anything like that. 🤔

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options

Here's the partial excerpt from Einstein's letter to Freud;
    "Another question follows hard upon it: how is it possible for this small clique to bend the will of the majority, who stand to lose and suffer by a state of war, to the service of their ambitions? (In speaking of the majority, I do not exclude soldiers of every rank who have chosen war as their profession, in the belief that they are serving to defend the highest interests of their race, and that attack is often the best method of defence.) An obvious answer to this question would seem to be that the minority, the ruling class at present, has the schools and press, usually the Church as well, under its thumb. This enables it to organize and sway the emotions of the masses, and make its tool of them."

Found here: https://en.unesco.org/courier/may-1985/why-war-letter-albert-einstein-sigmund-freud

• Options

It's nice to see that someone knows how to read something more than a thesaurus. Of course, the Patriot post leaves out the part about church because churches are thought to be conservative, while the press and the schools are thought to be liberal.

That's my issue with this meme and it is why I teach this exact meme in my rhetoric class. You should take it sometime @webmost. I'll even let you bring your thesaurus.

• Options

I would have the quote include church, since I fault much of what is passed for the Church today to be culpable in our culture's deterioration.

• Options
    edited August 2020

Me too Peter, but doing so doesn't serve the agenda it was made for. Like it or not, this one is aimed toward a conservative audience. They are taking a fairly liberal person in history, Einstein, and mangling a quote so it looks like he is berating two supposed hallmark liberal institutions. If you throw church into the mix, The ultra conservatives won't spread it because many of them are churchgoers.

The ironic thing about this entire meme and letter to Freud is that Einstein is conveying what minority rule of these functions ultimately leads to commonly, namely war, And as he says it, wars caused by the persecution of racial minorities. That neither sounds like something the Patriot post wants to have out there nor does it sound to me like the Patriot Post is an organization for which Einstein wants to be attributed to.

My point with the two lectures I give regarding rhetoric in today's meme society is simple. If you only read memes, then George Bush invented no child left behind which bore the common core system, which has destroyed schools today, And Abraham Lincoln was the biggest Democrat in history because he gave the first unfunded mandate that single-handedly restricted straits rights, and it was an executive order to boot (the Gettysburg Address).

Edit: the emancipation proclamation, not the GA.

• Options

That makes me ask, does a meme have to 100% accurate to achieve its intended outcome? IOW, the Einstein meme is flawed, but can it still contain a truth? I say yes.