Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Coronavirus Information

Comments

• Options
    HeavysetrapierHeavysetrapier Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sleddog46 said:
    My Corona virus antidote. A bourbon and and a cigar. Alcohol is an antiseptic so I'm taking it internally so I'm good. The cigar is a B&L Salvation " how prophetic.

Sanitizing from the inside out...

• Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

Found this tracker map for the Corona Virus. This is one amazing map shows the whole world with accurate statistics, goes off confirmed cases not speculation of carriers.
    https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options

Poor China and Italy

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't look ↑
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Almost makes me think it would be better if we all got it at once and be done with it.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShawnOL said:
    Almost makes me think it would be better if we all got it at once and be done with it.

Atsa way we always did before.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options

@TX98Z28 said:
    Poor China and Italy

China, population 1.386,.000,000 with 81k cases = 0.000058442
    Italy population 60,000,000 with 13k cases = 0.000216667

Thumbnail: your Italian is about four times as likely to be down with this

Course, the stats are so slippery anyways

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options

@ShawnOL said:

That's the exact opposite of what we need. Not enough ventilators to go around at that point. I'm 44 and healthy, so I ain't gonna die or need a ventilator, but what about all of you plus 60s out there?

Don't look ↑
  • Options

@webmost said:

@TX98Z28 said:
    Poor China and Italy

I am not following what you have stated with the numbers you crunched. All the world map shows is confirmed cases, deaths, and recovered cases. It’s interesting to see because it shows the whole world, every country with a confirmed case, even by state or providence, not just the USA.

• Options

It was a joke and a statement about analyzing data to draw a conclusion.

Don't look ↑
  • Options

@VegasFrank said:

@ShawnOL said:

That's the exact opposite of what we need. Not enough ventilators to go around at that point. I'm 44 and healthy, so I ain't gonna die or need a ventilator, but what about all of you plus 60s out there?

This is interesting because I was on a walk around the neighborhood yesterday and spoke with my neighbor who is going on 50. He said he wants to get the damn virus so he doesn’t have to worry about it, says it will help his body build a natural immunity to it...he’s also a doctor. If you ask me I don’t want to get sick, not Corona, Influenza, etc.

Interesting how views differ from religion to politics to just getting sick.

• Options

@VegasFrank said:
    It was a joke and a statement about analyzing data to draw a conclusion.

I didn’t know he was joking. Just found a great, worldwide, informative map and wanted to share it with others is all.

• Options

@TX98Z28 said:

@webmost said:

@TX98Z28 said:
    Poor China and Italy

I am not following what you have stated with the numbers you crunched. All the world map shows is confirmed cases, deaths, and recovered cases. It’s interesting to see because it shows the whole world, every country with a confirmed case, even by state or providence, not just the USA.

That's my point is that all the sites I've see only show the number of cases ... not how many cases per thousand or per million. 81k Chinese is a drop in the bucket compared to 13k Italians. To see the likelihood, you have to factor in the population. We, for instance, have nearly six times as many people as Italy, but a fourth the population of China. Are we more apt to see a quarter as many infected as China, or six times as many as Italy? That's a wide gap, ~20k versus ~2k.

It's like comparing the scoring in the NFL versus the XFL. The XFL had eight teams & lasted half a season. The real comparo should be per game.

Ratios.

• Options

No puking or diarrhea? No problem.

• Options

@webmost said:

@TX98Z28 said:

@webmost said:

@TX98Z28 said:
    Poor China and Italy

That's my point is that all the sites I've see only show the number of cases ... not how many cases per thousand or per million. 81k Chinese is a drop in the bucket compared to 13k Italians. To see the likelihood, you have to factor in the population. We, for instance, have nearly six times as many people as Italy, but a fourth the population of China. Are we more apt to see a quarter as many infected as China, or six times as many as Italy? That's a wide gap, ~20k versus ~2k.

It's like comparing the scoring in the NFL versus the XFL. The XFL had eight teams & lasted half a season. The real comparo should be per game.

Ratios.

You can't look at it as 81,000 cases out of 5 billion Chinese and then say the disease is rare. That's the kind of short-sightedness that'll get you killed, whether you're talking Corona 19 or standing down range during an AR-15 instructional. "The bullet is less than a half of an inch wide and there is a plane at the end of this range that is 900 ft². The chances of me getting hit are very small." Insanity.

The disease is clearly very highly contagious and easily communicable. if you fall into one of the at-risk categories, I would stay the hell away from other people and not try to prove how tough you are or how this is some sort of liberal disease by trying to get it.

Don't look ↑
  • Options

This Joe Rogan podcast that @VegasFrank posted is pretty darn interesting. His guest appears to be a genuine recognized expert, full of epidemiology up top here, all kinds of frank, and totally believable. Joe, as you know, is addicted to knowledge of all sorts, & knows how to ask smart questions. It takes a while to listen to all of this podcast; but that's cause the expert shares a wide and surprising pile of goodness.

His expert says, for example, that the obsessive handwashing trope is mostly just busywork.
    He says we're in for a longish haul.
    He's pretty clear we need to make more supplies and drugs here; not in China.
    He explains why these things come from China ("wet markets").

I recommend a listen.

• Options
    BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

I read that S. Korea is fighting this COVID-19 with anti-HIV and anti-Malaria drugs.
    "Lopinavir and ritonavir are sold under the name Kaletra and are designed to treat HIV. In South Korea, a 54-year-old man was given a combination of these two drugs and had a significant reduction in his levels of the coronavirus. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), there could be benefits to using Kaletra in combination with other drugs."
    https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2020/03/12/South-Korea-experts-recommend-anti-HIV-anti-malaria-drugs-for-COVID-19/6961584012321/

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

we are told that social distancing is important, meanwhile this is the scene at the airport:
    Customs Line

• Options

Trying to decide how to self-isolate with two employees coming in 4 days a week. We may have to furlough them in order to protect our health since we both are in our 70's and my wife is severely asthmatic. If we do we will continue to pay them. Not even sure if we will open the shop this coming summer--depending on how this plague plays out. Tough decisions.

• Options

This article was too long to post, but here is the link on the necessity of social distancing:
    https://www.facebook.com/jason.scott.warner/posts/10163742243430144

• Options

Possible to work in different rooms or with masks so they don't spread anything to you or to at least keep a distance between you guys?

Don't look ↑
  • Options

That ^ is a possibility if I can line up enough work for them on the days they are not here. Tiny workroom and they handle all the tools, door knobs, security keypad, et cetera and the virus lasts 2 or 3 days, minimum, on surfaces. I'll have a better handle on this next week, right now it is stressful. But that's what cigars are good for.

• Options

Half the day gone and only 17 customers. Kinda strange.

• Options
    cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, all restaurants and bars closed as of today, except for take out! Caterers closed since Friday because no gatherings more than 250 people! Not a good way to start the ice cream season! This sucks! I thought I might be able to start paying my suppliers some invoices from December! Not just yet, I guess!

• Options
    Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

^Plus in N.J. we are under 8pm to 5am curfew!!!!

You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

We're under Shelter at Home orders for the next three weeks.

Alameda County joined Contra Costa, Marin, San Francisco, San Mateo, and Santa Clara counties with the City of Berkeley on a legal order directing their respective residents to shelter at home for three weeks beginning March 17. The order limits activity, travel and business functions to only the most essential needs. The guidance comes after substantial input from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and best practices from other health officials around the world.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Went for a hair cut. It was the first time I didn’t have to wait. Said I was the first/only customer at that point.
    11pm to 7am curfew for 16 and under.
    Called work to check on them, I was told to not even think of stopping by. They are about to have all non essential employees work from home.