Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Coronavirus Information

Comments

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Usaf06 said:
    But it is data. You guys are just dismissing it because it didn't come from a large scale cdc study. Our choices in life, in everything we do, come from our own experiences. At least mine do. I dont trust the government. I dont trust politicians. I dont trust people who trust the government. I trust that I will make the best decision for myself based on my personal experiences. I also don't let statistics rule my life. I dont care that 1 out of 107 people will die in a car accident everyday. That doesn't stop me from driving. I dont care that I have 1 in a 11 million chance of dying in a plane crash. I will still fly. I dont care that almost 3 million people die annually from obesity related illnesses. I will still eat fast food and enjoy a good meal.

You are the government bro. You work for the government. You represent the government in your jurisdiction while you are on duty. The government gives you authority greater than the average citizen gets. The government places trust in you to execute your office. Before you differentiate it from the federal government, should know that most of your constituents make no such distinction.

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,102 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021

@VegasFrank said:

@Usaf06 said:
    But it is data. You guys are just dismissing it because it didn't come from a large scale cdc study. Our choices in life, in everything we do, come from our own experiences. At least mine do. I dont trust the government. I dont trust politicians. I dont trust people who trust the government. I trust that I will make the best decision for myself based on my personal experiences. I also don't let statistics rule my life. I dont care that 1 out of 107 people will die in a car accident everyday. That doesn't stop me from driving. I dont care that I have 1 in a 11 million chance of dying in a plane crash. I will still fly. I dont care that almost 3 million people die annually from obesity related illnesses. I will still eat fast food and enjoy a good meal.

You are the government bro. You work for the government. You represent the government in your jurisdiction while you are on duty. The government gives you authority greater than the average citizen gets. The government places trust in you to execute your office. Before you differentiate it from the federal government, should know that most of your constituents make no such distinction.

I can tell you the overwhelming majority of LEO where I am feel the same way i do.

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options

@Usaf06 said:

@VegasFrank said:

@Usaf06 said:

I can tell you the overwhelming majority of LEO where I am feel the same way i do.

That you don't trust the government for anything but your paycheck?

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Options
    TruDogTruDog Posts: 8,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:

@Usaf06 said:

@VegasFrank said:

@Usaf06 said:

....If I may intervene.... Yes I ****'N do....

• Options
    TruDogTruDog Posts: 8,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

...THat's F-uK'N.....FranKy

• Options

@VegasFrank said:

@Usaf06 said:

@VegasFrank said:

@Usaf06 said:

Sure Francis

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

• Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    so, the vaccine could be doing to the virus what antibiotics are doing to the bacteria, selecting for resistance? I know there is a lot of pushback about this, just wondering if the anti-vax folk have standing when it comes to mutations.

Yes and no. The immune response (whether vaccine induced or natural/infection induced) sets a hurdle that the virus can't make it over. As viruses mutate (randomly), select mutations to the amino acid sequence of the spike protein may help the virus bind more (or less) effectively to our ACE-2 receptors and enter our cells. If a mutation makes a virus more successful at evading the immune response and jumping that hurdle, then we have a new, potentially more dangerous variant. If that person then infects another person, the new mutation becomes more successful, as it is now spreading and able to evade immune defenses.

This is why rapid vaccine rollout and a sprint towards herd immunity are important. If a virus mutates, on average: 1 out of every thousand replications, then every time we allow the virus to spread to another person and replicate, we're allowing it the chance to mutate into something potentially more dangerous than it's former self.

From the interview with Virologist Andrew Pekosz:

"Say, for example, it's a one in a million chance that a mutation will be advantageous to the virus. If you let the virus replicate itself 900,000 times, odds are that the advantageous mutation will occur," says Johns Hopkins virologist Andrew Pekosz. "But if you limit the overall replication of the virus to 1,000 times, then it's much less likely that the random advantageous mutation is going to occur. And that's where public health interventions really help us a lot during this pandemic—by reducing the total amount of virus replication and therefore reducing the chances that the virus can improve or adapt."

https://hub.jhu.edu/2021/07/19/andrew-pekosz-delta-variants/

This also hints to Robert Malone's idea of vaccinating against yesterday's virus. While I understand where he's going, we're effectively vaccinating against today's virus because "tomorrow's virus" doesn't exist yet and there is really no way (even with predictive modeling) to really know for certain what the next mutation will be, if/how it will make the virus more successful and when it will happen.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks Rob.

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021

^^^That's tragically hilarious.

Pretty well sums up the argument. "I don't know much, or anything, but I had Covid / know someone who had Covid, therefore my opinion is just as good as any old stupid virologist or pathologist or immunologist or science geek". And so it goes.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

I heard from a woman yesterday, X-Ray tech I know at a different hospital than I worked at. She's had covid, so maybe her experience counts, however, she did get vaccinated a few months afterwards, so maybe not.

Asked "how's it going?" she said it was getting really depressing to go to work. Yesterday she was shooting a chest x-ray on a Covid patient who was crying because her son was at another hospital nearby, dying of Covid, and the family had been called in, but she couldn't be with her son.

The whole family were rabid anti-mask anti-vax "freedom fighters".

Asked how many people did she estimate she'd seen die of Covid this year? "About 100." How many were vaccinated? None, not one. Some had had prior covid, but, so far, of the literally thousand or so patients that she's seen with covid, not one vaccinated patient has died.

Of course, that's just her experience, at one rural hospital. It's probably not happening everywhere.

Is it?

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/1-merck-says-research-shows-183245783.html

Looking forward to seeing the published data on this.

• Options

@Rob1110 said:
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/1-merck-says-research-shows-183245783.html

Looking forward to seeing the published data on this.

That's perfect! One of the problems with the vaccines is that they target the spike, which works, but can result in a more stable virus, should the virus survive. This is a good thing. Plus, maybe those folks who are reluctant to vaccinate because they're afraid of needles will have a recourse. Thanks Rob.

• Options

@deadman said:
    This is here to stay and will continue to throw out variants just like the flu. Wish more was being focused on effective treatment options and less on vaccines.

There is treatment options. They are just mostly inexpensive and laughed at.

-- Winston Churchill

• Options

The CDC recently issued a report on pediatric hospitalizations and emergency department visits due to COVID-19. The report shows that the rates are rapidly increasing since Delta became the predominant variant in the U.S. in July 2021. However, this rise in hospitalizations is dramatically higher in states with low vaccination rates, underscoring the importance of eligible individuals to get vaccinated to protect younger children who cannot yet get vaccines.

Even though we now have safe and effective vaccinations available for free for everyone aged 12 and over, pediatric hospitalizations are quickly approaching those recorded in January 2021, the peak of the pandemic in the U.S. when COVID-19 vaccines were only just becoming available. In fact, in August 2021, states with the lowest vaccination rates (<49.75% fully vaccinated) recorded nearly 4x more children emergency department visits and hospitalizations than states with the highest rates (more than 63.46% fully vaccinated).

It is important to keep in mind that COVID-19 can cause severe illness in children and adolescents and can lead to death or long-term complications. Of all ICU patients that were hospitalized due to COVID-19, 20% in July and 18% in August were 0-17 years old.

Since many of our little ones are not yet eligible for vaccination and thus depend on us to protect them and keep them safe and healthy, we encourage all eligible people to get vaccinated. Additionally, for everyone aged 2 and over, please continue wearing face coverings indoors and in crowded outdoor spaces, and adhere to social distancing measures.

Sources:
    https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7036e1.htm
    https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/pdfs/mm7036e1-H.pdf
    https://www.nebraskamed.com/COVID/why-is-this-covid-19-wave-causing-more-hospitalized-kids?fbclid=IwAR0jpczmocwgWTkPyLSmQqCgeImaW-KX2f98ctyAs_v9JGaivqiT6ts7XO0

• Unbiased Science
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just comply comrade.

A little dirt never hurt
  • Options

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.08.24.21262415v1

700,000 people were part of the study. I know, its a small sampling B)

-- Winston Churchill

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021

@Usaf06 said:
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.08.24.21262415v1

700,000 people were part of the study. I know, its a small sampling B)

At least they tell you “ Caution: Preprints are preliminary reports of work that have not been certified by peer review. They should not be relied on to guide clinical practice or health-related behavior and should not be reported in news media as established information.”

“ Because this process can be lengthy, authors use the medRxiv service to make their manuscripts available as “preprints” before certification by peer review, allowing other scientists to see, discuss, and comment on the findings immediately. Readers should therefore be aware that articles on medRxiv have not been finalized by authors, might contain errors, and report information that has not yet been accepted or endorsed in any way by the scientific or medical community.”

That’s admirable. You don’t see that nowadays.

• Options

Conclusions:

This study demonstrated that natural immunity confers longer lasting and stronger protection against infection, symptomatic disease and hospitalization caused by the Delta variant of SARS-CoV-2, compared to the BNT162b2 two-dose vaccine-induced immunity. Individuals who were both previously infected with SARS-CoV-2 and given a single dose of the vaccine gained additional protection against the Delta variant.

That's great as long as your infection doesn't kill you the first time! Also, based on these conclusions, it looks like they recommend that you go get your shot! I knew you'd come around to our side, Nick! 😂

• Options

See you in hell brother!

• Options

@VegasFrank said:
    See you in hell brother!

You driving or me

-- Winston Churchill

• Options

@Usaf06 said:

@VegasFrank said:
    See you in hell brother!

You driving or me

You drive. I'll bring the smokes. I think we can get a light down there. Or maybe there's only Gurkhas down there? Probably plugged Cubans...