Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Political Discussions

Comments

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022

Hmm, so maybe an income-based or demonstrated-need waiver for the fees on a case by case basis?

Good points. I like it.

I also like the emphasis on health care. If we 4% of the worlds population can shoulder 50% of the worlds military spending, surely we could afford health care. Money for the Middle East and Ukraine and everyone else is great charity, but charity should begin at home. Or, so the saying goes.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    Hmm, so maybe an income-based or demonstrated-need waiver for the fees on a case by case basis?

Good points. I like it.

I also like the emphasis on health care. If we 4% of the worlds population can shoulder 50% of the worlds military spending, surely we could afford health care. Money for the Middle East and Ukraine and everyone else is great charity, but charity should begin at home. Or, so the saying goes.

I would be wary of case by case, because then every case in California and New York gets rejected. I would want to see it as a "shall issue" waver instead of a "may issue" waiver, but generally speaking that's the idea.

I also would like to see those of us who are against gun restrictions actually try to come up with some mental health ideas and take ownership of that potential solution. I personally have recommended meditation to many people, it's done great things for me, and allowed me to keep my cool and remain rational when I wouldn't have 6 years ago before I started.

In order for republicans to offer any fixes though, they'd first have to reopen some of those insane asylums that Ronald Raegan closed, which would mean admitting he was wrong about something, which is a non starter for them. I don't see anything getting fixed honestly.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CalvinAndHobo said:

A waiting period is something I'd be willing to listen to. I'd also like to hear about real mental health solutions, instead of people saying "mental health is the problem" and then proceeding to not address it at all. If it's the problem, which I think it is, then we as a country need to find a way to improve it. I'd like to see republicans lead the charge on that, but I don't expect to see it happen because complaining is so much easier.

The state privatized most of the mental health hospitals in Massachusetts back in the early 70's to save money. Now it is almost impossible to find a bed if one is hanging on by a thin thread. A large % of inmates in the prisons have mental health issues that could have been addressed before things went haywire. Not to mention the % of gun deaths that are suicides....

• Options

Hmm, so maybe an income-based or demonstrated-need waiver for the > @silvermouse said:

@CalvinAndHobo said:

A waiting period is something I'd be willing to listen to. I'd also like to hear about real mental health solutions, instead of people saying "mental health is the problem" and then proceeding to not address it at all. If it's the problem, which I think it is, then we as a country need to find a way to improve it. I'd like to see republicans lead the charge on that, but I don't expect to see it happen because complaining is so much easier.

The state privatized most of the mental health hospitals in Massachusetts back in the early 70's to save money. Now it is almost impossible to find a bed if one is hanging on by a thin thread. A large % of inmates in the prisons have mental health issues that could have been addressed before things went haywire. Not to mention the % of gun deaths that are suicides....

Yes. One of the Republicans BIG LIES that used to be broadcast far and wide is "Private Industry does everything better". What a load of crap. Private Industry does manufacturing better, if they're not allowed to farm it out to 11 year old Chinese kids. Private Industry does Service Industry, restaurants and hotels etc. better. But "everything"? No. Not at all.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess this thread wants me to respond as it is trying to post a photo..... just cleaning this up

• Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think more government regulations is the answer, @Amos_Umwhat. I think men and women taking an interest in the lives of those in their circles is the best answer. This grandson of Faye could be helped by another, more experienced or wise, man when it comes to gun safety and proper use.

Not everyone will get the help they need, I know that. However, no system we implement will be perfect either. At least by keeping the government from being involved further we might also further delay the day it becomes tyrannical.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm all for the NICS check when buying retail but will take a hard pass on all the anti-rights stuff the left is pushing. I don't recall any other enumerated constitutional right requiring licensing and fees. Please, give me an example of a license for religion or a tax on speaking freely. Shall not be infringed means exactly that. No meddling, hands off. As for the argument of needing a test, license and insurance for a car, you do not have a God given right to own a car or to drive it. That is a privilege to be doled out by the government to those who can afford it.

You want to stop school shootings, harden our schools. Allow any teacher to carry a gun who is willing to protect the students. If a person isn't trustworthy enough to be allowed to carry a gun, they have no business being around children in the first place.

As far as mandatory training goes. There is no lack of training pretty much anywhere in the U.S. It can be had by anyone interested in seeking it out. Some training is expensive but there is also plenty of affordable training available, if you look around a bit. The part that sucks about mandatory training is that it's always the anti-gun or non-gun people deciding what is necessary. I don't know a single gun owner who wouldn't take a newbie shooting and teach them the basics of gun safety and marksmanship.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

Hmm, so maybe an income-based or demonstr> @Hobbes86 said:

I don't think more government regulations is the answer, @Amos_Umwhat. I think men and women taking an interest in the lives of those in their circles is the best answer. This grandson of Faye could be helped by another, more experienced or wise, man when it comes to gun safety and proper use.

Not everyone will get the help they need, I know that. However, no system we implement will be perfect either. At least by keeping the government from being involved further we might also further delay the day it becomes tyrannical.

I'd be happy to take the boy out and teach him, like I did Faye, and I offered, but it probably won't happen. I feel perfectly qualified, having taken home distinguished medals with several military weapons, to include handguns, rifles, 30 and 50 caliber machine guns, 105mm tank guns in 3 different firing systems, and having served as Range Safety NCO at Brigade and Division level exercises in Grafenwoehr.

I have numerous options on hand for him to try. But he already knows everything. Hobbes, he watched a You-Tube video, what more can you ask of him?

I don't want more regulations, in fact, probably a lot less, I just want them to make sense and be useful. There's thousands of gun regulation laws on the books already, too many in my opinion.

Shawn, true you don't need license for Free Speech or Religion, but a spoiled brat can't kill you with words or by practicing other-than-your religion. I like the harden the schools idea in some ways. It goes to Calvin's thinking about mental health. The problem is that too many nut-jobs will insist that it's prying into their privacy to determine whether or not little Johnny is a murderous sociopath, or that it's practicing mandatory religion if we teach the poor little blighter to meditate. Heck, I'd like to see Logic and Critical Reasoning classes begin at about the 3rd grade.

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of it has to do with the end of a nuclear family being the norm.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rightfully so.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022

@ShawnOL said:
    Please, give me an example of a license for religion or a tax on speaking freely. Shall not be infringed means exactly that. No meddling, hands off.

LOL I have kept my mouth shut for a very long time about this. But this is funny Shawn. Every one of your quote unquote enumerated rights has clauses, exceptions, qualifiers. Freedom of speech? Shouting fire in a crowded hall. Freedom of religion? Only when it doesn't hurt a public safety interest. Separation of church and state? Only if the religion in question files the appropriate paperwork and has approved by the irs. Ask scientology. Cruel and unusual punishment? Death penalty. Freedom of the press? Lol, if you are a registered member, which costs money! Come to Vegas and try to get into the PCA as a press member. Won't happen.

The real problem in this country is that you need a license to fish but you don't need a license to fuçk. Too many stupid people having kids....

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Options

@VegasFrank said:
    The real problem in this country is that you need a license to fish but you don't need a license to fuçk. Too many stupid people having kids....

Hey, don't give the government any ideas, Frank. I don't want them involved in my love-life or decision to have kids.

• Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank to little to late for me bro

• Options
  • Options

Abortion does nothing to protect the individual freedom of the unborn child.

I don't see same-sex marriage or contraceptives facing any real danger from the courts decision on Roe. They do not hurt people like abortion does and fewer people would support doing away with them.

• Options
    edited June 2022

Didn't read it. Didn't have to. It's CNN. Already know what it's going to say and can tell what they are telling readers to think and feel.

• Options

I did some more reading on the topic and it seems the issue that Clarence Thomas wants to rectify is legislating through the courts. If folks want something to be a law, then it needs to be done through Congress and the House, not the courts. That is my understanding, anyway.

• Options

@Hobbes86 said:
    I did some more reading on the topic and it seems the issue that Clarence Thomas wants to rectify is legislating through the courts. If folks want something to be a law, then it needs to be done through Congress and the House, not the courts. That is my understanding, anyway.

A little off the current topic, but I'd like to see Congress be required to do their job on many fronts. Currently they seem to have farmed out legislation to a wide variety of unelected officials who pass laws at will. CDC, EPA, etc. They mandate at will, without public debate. Sometimes it's good, sometimes not. I think that their sweeping powers should be curtailed, limited to making suggestions and propositions to Congress where the ideas will be considered and debated prior to being enforced.

• Options

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    A little off the current topic, but I'd like to see Congress be required to do their job on many fronts. Currently they seem to have farmed out legislation to a wide variety of unelected officials who pass laws at will. CDC, EPA, etc. They mandate at will, without public debate. Sometimes it's good, sometimes not. I think that their sweeping powers should be curtailed, limited to making suggestions and propositions to Congress where the ideas will be considered and debated prior to being enforced.

I agree whole-heartedly.

• Options

yes, but with a rule that they must decide within a few days rather than dithering for months or using procedural tactics to block the majority's determination.

• Options

Sometimes blocking the majority determination is for the better. Helps prevent bad policy due to knee-jerk reactions. The government does best doing little or nothing at all.

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very few things the government does well.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:

@d_blades said:
    Very few things the government does well.

They do a great job of generating wealth for themselves and not relinquishing power.

Disagree, the government takes wealth from wealth generators

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve never heard of a politician who wasn’t/isn’t a w ****

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Governments wage war pretty well, unless they're Russian governments.

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.