Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Things I Hate

Comments

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I'm still iritated about "traffic issues"... I had some jack-ass this morning run me off the road. He turned on his blinker as he started swerving into my lane... I miss 3 years ago when this part of town wasn't developed. Used to take me 15 minutes to drive to work during mid-day. Now it takes 45 minutes at 0500...
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People at work, who when you are trying to get into from them, not only do you have to play 20 questions to get info, but they are more interested in their damn phone to give you any info.

Or.....
    When you ask the a question, they turn it into a 10 minute story.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When my mustache is too long and wants to go in my mouth but too short to twist into a managed shape
  • Options
    Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Working with a colossal asshat.
    I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dawn  Aggie November 2009
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Must be Italian."
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fragile  Frageelee  Fra gee lee

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Must be Italian."
    No I think it's an Irish thing!!!!!
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sleddog46 said:
    "Must be Italian."
    No I think it's an Irish thing!!!!!

http://quotegeek.com/quotes-from-movies/a-christmas-story/651/

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you get a sale circular from Home Depot and check with want you want is in stock and reisured that it is. I payed for the items online and 2 days later get a text saying your order is ready but the fencing you ordered is not available. Called customer service and told me they never came in and cannot give you a replacement at the sale price. Canceled the rest of the order.
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    College visits with the Senior.

And contemplating paying for said colleges.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    People with college degrees that think they are smarter and better than people they think don't have degrees.
    Engineers are the worst of those people.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Liberalism.
    Post edited by ShawnOL on

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ShawnOL said:
    Liberalism.
    You're so intolerant. ;-)
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Talking about liberalism, conservatism, or any other ism horsesh!t. 
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    People with college degrees that think they are smarter and better than people they think don't have degrees.
    This made me think of my old boss, Joe Hall.  I worked for Joe building sand plants and rock quarries when I was in my early 20's.  We'd arrive on a job site and they'd have already put in footings for the conveyor towers etc.  Joe would walk around, look at everything, stand in the middle and turn a few times and then tell me "OK, weld us some eyes on the mounting plates of these footings here,...(points)...then go get the crane.  I'm going to get us a backhoe.  Tell Shrum to mix us up a truck full of concrete."

About the time we'd got that done the engineers would return, get out of the company car with rolls of blueprints, put their hardhats on and start running around squawking and pointing.  Joe would tell me "Keep working, I'll be back".

I'd keep working, but watching Joe out of the corner of my eye.  It was always the same.  Red-faced engineers would be gesticulating wildly while Joe calmly stood there and listened.  Then he'd take their scrolls and lay them out on the hood of their car, they'd all lean in while he would first point to the blueprints, then to the layout of the quarry and the road in and out.  

After awhile, they'd all get back into their car, scratching their heads, and go away. 

We always built it Joe's way, and it always worked.   :)

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    0patience said:
    This made me think of my old boss, Joe Hall.  I worked for Joe building sand plants and rock quarries when I was in my early 20's.  We'd arrive on a job site and they'd have already put in footings for the conveyor towers etc.  Joe would walk around, look at everything, stand in the middle and turn a few times and then tell me "OK, weld us some eyes on the mounting plates of these footings here,...(points)...then go get the crane.  I'm going to get us a backhoe.  Tell Shrum to mix us up a truck full of concrete."

About the time we'd got that done the engineers would return, get out of the company car with rolls of blueprints, put their hardhats on and start running around squawking and pointing.  Joe would tell me "Keep working, I'll be back".

I'd keep working, but watching Joe out of the corner of my eye.  It was always the same.  Red-faced engineers would be gesticulating wildly while Joe calmly stood there and listened.  Then he'd take their scrolls and lay them out on the hood of their car, they'd all lean in while he would first point to the blueprints, then to the layout of the quarry and the road in and out.  

After awhile, they'd all get back into their car, scratching their heads, and go away. 

We always built it Joe's way, and it always worked.   :)

A smart engineer will listen to the people building/repairing and operating what they are designing.
    Problem is, most of them don't listen.

I got in trouble in a meeting, cause I said, What do we know, we're just a bunch of monkeys turning wrenches.
    Several manglers thought that was inappropriate. 
    Told them that we know what goes wrong, when designed poorly and 90% of our stuff is designed poorly.
    How does a guy design or spec out a piece of equipment, when he's never been in one, nor has he ever talked to the operators?

This dopey wants to spec out a new service truck, with a service body, half the height of rhe one I have, with a crew cab truck, that has a turning radius almost twice what my current truck has. I asked where I am supposed to put everything? How do I getvturned aroubd on the highway, with no shoulders on the highway?
    They didn't see space as an issue and they said I could drive until I found a wide spot.

On highway 101 coast highway, that could be 10 miles 

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Said a different way but with pretty much the same meaning, the above is why, in all my years in the construction industry, I refused to work in the home office. 

In the field was where the work got done and where the problems were solved. It’s where things (problems included) were interesting and exciting. The self-serving political-minded asswipes in the home office were too busy stabbing each other in the back to pay attention to getting the job done. 

End of rant.....  😡
  • Options
    Dealing with counter imbeciles in auto parts/tool stores.   Went looking for a generic wheel bearing race driver set; mine decided it needed a new home in someone elses's toolbox at some point.   The show began when the 20-something with the liberal arts degree asked what type vehicle it was for.   It turned comedic when I said Beechcraft and he started searching his computer for that make auto.  When I gave him a hint and said "It's a tool.", he spent 20 minutes in the cheap tool aisle reading the labels on screwdrivers trying to figure out what I was asking for.  I finally cut the snowflake a break and told him I'd just order it online.    Hated wasting the time, but loved the entertainment.
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was buying lights for my Honda's. The tiny MIL (Check Engine) light in the dashboard died and wouldn't pass smog. Found the replacements on a local auto parts website and went down to get them and they told me that they don't carry those.  Had to go home and order them for pickup and go back to the same store to buy them.

I ended up probably changing almost a dozen bulbs in the two instrument clusters of my family's old Hondas when I found how many bulbs had burnt out over the years.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    I hate when the cigar lounge is out of cigars!!!

No kidding. If you're stuck in the Nashville airport for 3 hours, don't expect Graycliff to have your back. Both lounges are out. Cigarettes and chew are available, but not the good stuff.

One lounge says they're the red headed step child of Graycliff. The other said they're prepping for a remodel. Maybe it's both. But I wanted a post dinner smoke!

Teases.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Martel said:
    I hate when the cigar lounge is out of cigars!!!

No kidding. If you're stuck in the Nashville airport for 3 hours, don't expect Graycliff to have your back. Both lounges are out. Cigarettes and chew are available, but not the good stuff.

One lounge says they're the red headed step child of Graycliff. The other said they're prepping for a remodel. Maybe it's both. But I wanted a post dinner smoke!

Teases.
    A few blocks down Donelson Pike, the road in and out of the airport, on the right about 1/4 mile past the Drury Inn there's a liquor store with a reasonable walk-in humidor.  Shouldn't take 5 minutes each way in an Uber.   For next time.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    I wouldn't want to go through security. 
    And I was there that early because I had a ride to save the Uber fare.

I was there for a college visit with my daughter. Gotta save for tuition!

• Options
    Outlook search related messages feature stops working right when I need to update a report and scrub a lot of emails. Close Outlook to restart it and it won't restart, even after closing all the other apps. Have to restart, but there's a mandatory update so I have to wait for Windows to update to get Outlook running again.Update seems to have killed my favorite way to start a Google Chrome Incognito window.

Sigh, have to get this report done, but had to get this rant off my chest first.
  • Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    Outlook search related messages feature stops working right when I need to update a report and scrub a lot of emails. Close Outlook to restart it and it won't restart, even after closing all the other apps. Have to restart, but there's a mandatory update so I have to wait for Windows to update to get Outlook running again.Update seems to have killed my favorite way to start a Google Chrome Incognito window.

Sigh, have to get this report done, but had to get this rant off my chest first.
    Control+shift+n doesn't work anymore on new windows? 
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait, what?  Control+shift+n?  What’s that supposed to do?  

Keep in mind, I’m an Oldfart and I’m still running Win7......  👴🏻
  • Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It opens an incognito window in google chrome. 
  • Options
    I got the window open fine, but right-clicking on the icon in the task bar no longer has the incognito option.

Finished the report, now I have a migraine and the trots. Good night.
  • Options
    That my pad quit opening the forum all the way.  I get header links and can open them, but just get a gray blank screen when I do.   New problem.   I tried restart, killing & recharging, wiping the cookies & history....  damnest thing.  If it does work, the only thread it'll open is the Bum of the Week.  No kidding.   Any ideas, oh computer savvy younguns????