Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Things I Hate

Comments

• Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    james40:
    A simple 30 minute house project (replacing shower hot/cold water handle) turns into a 3 day affair.
    What did you do, try to put the handle on and rip out some pipes with your Hulk strength?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Rain:
    james40:
    A simple 30 minute house project (replacing shower hot/cold water handle) turns into a 3 day affair.
    What did you do, try to put the handle on and rip out some pipes with your Hulk strength?
    No, still trying to remove the old one. The hex nut was stripped so I drilled through it. The handle appears glued or locked in place from the crud. I have hacksawed that thing to a nub (used 3 blades) and it's holding on for dear life. Of course, I can take my daughter's shower handle off in 10 seconds but it's not the one I want to replace.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    james40:
    Rain:
    james40:
    No, still trying to remove the old one. The hex nut was stripped so I drilled through it. The handle appears glued or locked in place from the crud. I have hacksawed that thing to a nub (used 3 blades) and it's holding on for dear life. Of course, I can take my daughter's shower handle off in 10 seconds but it's not the one I want to replace.
    THAT SUCKS !!!!

Don't you just hate doing plumbing work.

Not as bad as when we replaced the vanity, and what should have taken 3 hours turned into about a 12+ hour project ....
    I feel your pain, James. If nothing else, you can just take a sledge hammer to it and remodel the whole bathroom, LOL
    Good luck getting that damn handle off !

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    james40:
    Rain:
    james40:
    THAT SUCKS !!!!

Not as bad as when we replaced the vanity, and what should have taken 3 hours turned into about a 12+ hour project ....
    I feel your pain, James. If nothing else, you can just take a sledge hammer to it and remodel the whole bathroom, LOL
    i hate plumbing so much that i refuse to do it. i call a professional. might cost way more but i know its done right and it isnt causing me needless stress.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    kuzi16:
    jgibv:
    james40:
    Rain:
    james40:
    THAT SUCKS !!!!

i hate plumbing so much that i refuse to do it. i call a professional. might cost way more but i know its done right and it isnt causing me needless stress.
    Thanks for understanding - I do remember my wife saying why not call a plumber but my stubborn butt said nah, I got this....sometimes I'm glad I don't own a flamethrower....
  • Options
    james40:
    kuzi16:
    jgibv:
    james40:
    Rain:
    james40:
    THAT SUCKS !!!!

Thanks for understanding - I do remember my wife saying why not call a plumber but my stubborn butt said nah, I got this....sometimes I'm glad I don't own a flamethrower....
    LOL, mm hmm.

I threatened to just take out the vanity/sink all together, cap the pipes, and patch up the hole in the wall ... problem solved. hahaha
    wife didn't like that suggestion though.

(**Edit: When I said "Not as bad as when we replaced the vanity...". I meant that ours wasn't as bad as what you got ....
    Geesh!! 3 days of fussing with it, I'd have given up.
    My vanity problem seems small compared to your dang handle. )

• Options
    pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
    jgibv:
    james40:
    kuzi16:
    jgibv:
    james40:
    Rain:
    james40:
    THAT SUCKS !!!!

LOL, mm hmm.

I threatened to just take out the vanity/sink all together, cap the pipes, and patch up the hole in the wall ... problem solved. hahaha
    wife didn't like that suggestion though.

(**Edit: When I said "Not as bad as when we replaced the vanity...". I meant that ours wasn't as bad as what you got ....
    Geesh!! 3 days of fussing with it, I'd have given up.
    My vanity problem seems small compared to your dang handle. )

The last dozen or so posts. makes me want to throw up.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Moving.I can't count how many times I have said "Why in the **** did I keep this?" today.
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Standing in line.
  • Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Moving.I can't count how many times I have said "Why in the **** did I keep this?" today.

I gotta do this on Thursday from VT to Buffalo then again in a month to our new place in Buffalo.
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    The same as always, laying in bed on a great day here in Georgia.
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    When at a party you run into the chick who dumped you, VIA TEXT after talking serious commitment, and she has the @#$%$# balls to say that she misses you, even when she brought ANOTHER GUY TO THE PARTY. Miss me? Didn't respond when I tried to make contact three times (despite promising we'd talk), then six months of nothing and you have the nerve to say you miss me??? EEEFFFFF UUUUUUU!
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    perkinke:
    When at a party you run into the chick who dumped you, VIA TEXT after talking serious commitment, and she has the @#$%$# balls to say that she misses you, even when she brought ANOTHER GUY TO THE PARTY. Miss me? Didn't respond when I tried to make contact three times (despite promising we'd talk), then six months of nothing and you have the nerve to say you miss me??? EEEFFFFF UUUUUUU!
    Just don't fall for it bro, with women like this nothing that comes out of their mouths has any real meaning, it's all code for "gimme gimme gimme"
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    perkinke:
    Just don't fall for it bro, with women like this nothing that comes out of their mouths has any real meaning, it's all code for "gimme gimme gimme"
    Yeah, you'd think by now I'd be able to spot this kind of crap earlier, but clearly had me fooled. Now there's another thing I hate, still being pretty stupid when it comes to women at this point in life! :)
  • Options
    pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
    Running out of my Brandy before the cigar.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pants with 5 belt loops. There should be 7. Who do they think they're foolin'?
  • Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    I just had to cancel a reservation for a campsite in Colorado because one of my favorite places to fish is up in flames. Shed a tear, or pour a sip out for the Rio Grande. 75,000 acres + are currently burning and it's 0% contained.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I feel the pain of all three of the above responses.

And, I know it's been said on here recently, but I'm saying it again:
    moving.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    Waking up to the sound of chainsaws and a wood chipper, looking out the window and seeing a tree trimming company cutting down the trees along our fence line .... but the trees are on the neighboring property (assuming the fence is the actual property line)
    They sure didn't have it surveyed, marked before they started trimming them....

The neighbor building is not a residential home; but a small art studio in front and warehouse/storage in the back for a print company that's down the road.
    Still, would have been nice for them to come knock on our door (or at least leave us a note) and say "Hey, by the way we're looking to cut some of these trees down on XX day. Just so you know"
    Little p!ssed no one gave us a "head's up", but oh well. Very inconsiderate and not very "neighborly" IMO, fvckin' a**holes.

Anywho we have about 110 ft of fencing that runs along that side (nearly the whole length of the yard) ---- and it's all lined with these beautiful, old, tall trees. Probably 20+ trees total, most of them are taller than our 2-story house and the branches hang halfway into our yard providing great shade all day long.
    They help keep the house cool on these hot summer days and keep the house shaded almost all morning, they act as a "privacy screen" and obstruct the line of sight from our second story windows to the building next door, and provide a nice home (and food) for the birds and squirrels.
    (We've seen cardinals, blue jays, yellow finches, morning doves, sparrows, robins, and a red-tailed hawk in the trees, just to name a few.)

Yes --- a couple of these trees are dead/dying, and could be trimmed back or removed, but when I asked one of the tree-trimmer workers what all they're cutting down, he didn't seem to really know and just said "we're trimming back the trees, there's a lot of dead ones"
    (I thought to myself, no **** sherlock?!?? I thought you guys were roofers! *facepalm)

I just hope they leave some of the trees and don't cut them all down.
    I'm mostly pissed because there's nothing we can do since they're not "our" trees.
    But I'm even more pissed that no one bothered to come over before hand and let us know ....

But I will be most extremely upset if they cut down the 40ish ft mulberry tree since it seems to be the most popular one with the birds .... I just might fire bomb their god damn warehouse building if they cut that one down. (J/K)

Seriously, if I start seeing less birds because they cut all these trees down, I'm going to be livid.
    Maybe I'm over reacting, but IDK, it just really surprised my wife and I this morning to wake up to chainsaws and "thuds" from pieces of the trunk being dropped from 30+ ft in the air.

After work, might go have a word with the folks at the print shop down the road about this $hit. Not a very good way to make friends in the neighborhood if you ask me.....

• Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    Waking up to the sound of chainsaws and a wood chipper, looking out the window and seeing a tree trimming company cutting down the trees along our fence line .... but the trees are on the neighboring property (assuming the fence is the actual property line)

The neighbor building is not a residential home; but a small art studio in front and warehouse/storage in the back for a print company that's down the road.
    Still, would have been nice for them to come knock on our door (or at least leave us a note) and say "Hey, by the way we're looking to cut some of these trees down on XX day. Just so you know"
    Little p!ssed no one gave us a "head's up", but oh well. Very inconsiderate and not very "neighborly" IMO, fvckin' a**holes.

Anywho we have about 110 ft of fencing that runs along that side (nearly the whole length of the yard) ---- and it's all lined with these beautiful, old, tall trees. Probably 20+ trees total, most of them are taller than our 2-story house and the branches hang halfway into our yard providing great shade all day long.
    They help keep the house cool on these hot summer days and keep the house shaded almost all morning, they act as a "privacy screen" and obstruct the line of sight from our second story windows to the building next door, and provide a nice home (and food) for the birds and squirrels.
    (We've seen cardinals, blue jays, yellow finches, morning doves, sparrows, robins, and a red-tailed hawk in the trees, just to name a few.)

Yes --- a couple of these trees are dead/dying, and could be trimmed back or removed, but when I asked one of the tree-trimmer workers what all they're cutting down, he didn't seem to really know and just said "we're trimming back the trees, there's a lot of dead ones"
    (I thought to myself, no **** sherlock?!?? I thought you guys were roofers! *facepalm)

I'm mostly pissed because there's nothing we can do since they're not "our" trees.
    But I'm even more pissed that no one bothered to come over before hand and let us know ....

But I will be most extremely upset if they cut down the 40ish ft mulberry tree since it seems to be the most popular one with the birds .... I just might fire bomb their god damn warehouse building if they cut that one down. (J/K)

Seriously, if I start seeing less birds because they cut all these trees down, I'm going to be livid.
    Maybe I'm over reacting, but IDK, it just really surprised my wife and I this morning to wake up to chainsaws and "thuds" from pieces of the trunk being dropped from 30+ ft in the air.

After work, might go have a word with the folks at the print shop down the road about this $hit. Not a very good way to make friends in the neighborhood if you ask me.....
    Guess there's not much you can do except check on the property lines. Oh, and plant trees on your side of the fence. Or hang signs and spread flyers about how many trees they cut down. I'd imagine hippies that frequent an art studio would care.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv:

Bummer John.. They should have notified you about the work. The one thing I love about being out here in nowhere is all of the different bird activity going on. I can see a bald eagle circling the lake, woodpeckers in the distance, an owl once, a family of quail roaming, turkeys, robins, it just makes the yard feel alive. I sure hope they all come back.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    damn, that really sucks. I usually have had crappy neighbors as well, however after buying my house I have one great one and one soso one. the soso one just keep to themselves but are nice. the other one is pretty cool. we have talked a few times about getting rid of some bushes and putting up a fence between our houses. I hope they don't cut all your trees down though.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    Guess there's not much you can do except check on the property lines. Oh, and plant trees on your side of the fence. Or hang signs and spread flyers about how many trees they cut down. I'd imagine hippies that frequent an art studio would care.
    Yeah.
    We're going to replace a couple of the fence panels next year, so I'm going to have it surveyed and flagged before we do that. Wouldn't do me much good now though since a couple of the trees are already down.
    And after we replace the fence panels, I plan to put in some new trees on our side of the fence, like you suggested.

And it's not your typical art studio .... haven't seen any hippies, but there's always an older guy coming and going and he doesn't look like your "typical" artist. He dresses like he's coming from the golf course (polo & shorts).
    I think he may be a professor at a nearby, small college and he uses it as his private studio space.
    Bigshizza:
    Bummer John.. They should have notified you about the work. The one thing I love about being out here in nowhere is all of the different bird activity going on. I can see a bald eagle circling the lake, woodpeckers in the distance, an owl once, a family of quail roaming, turkeys, robins, it just makes the yard feel alive. I sure hope they all come back.
    Yeah, I'm mostly upset that nobody said anything before hand.

I stopped home at lunch though and the mulberry tree was still there .... it looked like they were only cutting out the dead branches/trees.
    It seemed they've done a pretty good job so far at leaving the "good" trees alone ..... I really hope it stays that way and they continue to only cut back the dead/dying ones.
    (Fingers crossed)

And yes, I love sitting outside and watching the "wildlife", especially when smoking a cigar.
    (Wife makes fun of me and calls me an old fart though LOL)

We have a couple woodpeckers too; they're funny creatures aren't they?
    I haven't cleaned the gutters yet this year and I know there's some maple seed/whirlybirds near the downspout --- and a couple weeks ago there was a woodpecker in the gutter, looking for bugs and it started pecking on the metal gutter !!! Sounded like someone was lighting off firecrackers in the bedroom, scared the hell out of me, LOL.

Not much other wildlife in our backyard like you have, since we're still in "civilization" but we have seen a couple dozen turkeys, a few herds of deer, great blue herons, cranes, etc. at a couple of the nearby parks.
    Love spending time at the parks, quietly hiking the trails with the dog, or just sitting in silence listening to the sounds of the woods. It's so peaceful.

• Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    damn, that really sucks. I usually have had crappy neighbors as well, however after buying my house I have one great one and one soso one. the soso one just keep to themselves but are nice. the other one is pretty cool. we have talked a few times about getting rid of some bushes and putting up a fence between our houses. I hope they don't cut all your trees down though.
    Thanks phobic.
    And yes, having good neighbors can make your life a lot better/easier/etc. ....

Haven't met a single person from the warehouse building yet, but they have regular business hours so no one's regularly there after 500 or on weekends (other than the "art studio" guy that we see come and go at odd times.)

But the neighbors next to us, and the people next to them are both great, friendly people.
    They're a lot "easier" to live next to than (some of) the folks at our old place .... so I know where you're coming from about "crappy neighbors."
    Good to have neighbors that are open, and receptive to your ideas when talking about putting up a fence/etc. that will affect both properties.

• Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    How nearly every cigar manufacturer calls itself "boutique".
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Martel:

moving.

+12798 to that. It's amazing how much crap I've aquired in 8years and two kids since moving into this house.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    bbass2:
    Martel:

moving.

+12798 to that. It's amazing how much crap I've aquired in 8years and two kids since moving into this house.
    We've moved a bunch of junk that's been in boxes for the past 3 years since moving here for grad school. I do want some of it, but I keep thinking I may not want it all that much...
    Movers come on Monday. Most of our packing is done, and we've moved a lot to the new place. Problem is there's nowhere to put the stuff in boxes to get out of the way of the furniture because most of the boxes need to go on the furniture-shelving and cabinetry and such.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    The winds have shifted and the valley I live in was so full of smoke this morning that you couldn't see the bluffs on the other side. It smells like a campfire outside.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Waiting to have a test.. Insurance authorization, doctors on vacation all 3 at one F'n time.. This will last all damn summer.. Geez us thanks a bunch
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    Waiting to have a test.. Insurance authorization, doctors on vacation all 3 at one F'n time.. This will last all damn summer.. Geez us thanks a bunch
    I feel ya man. The entire system f'n sucks!

I hate how people live. I mean wtf? So you want someone to come to YOUR HOME to fix something and you live like pigs and don't even clean up. So many freaking people! Today I had to turn away money cuz my client lives like a ... well not sure what I would call it, pigs are cleaner. The entire house reeked of dogs/cats and cigarettes. I was there for 2 minutes and had to leave. Now I freaking smell like it and I have 4 other clients to see today. Now I have to go home and shower and burn these clothes! Also the freaking keyboard was so damn dirty the keys were mostly stuck in the down position! IIIICCCCKKKK!