Home Non Cigar Related

Coronavirus Information

Comments

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bob_Luken said:
    I cut my FU finger on my left hand while chopping an onion. Nice little divot flap of fingertip flesh hanging on and dripping crimson. It's a good thing it was on the tip. Otherwise, it would have hit the bone.

Got me to wondering if there might be an increase in injuries as the virus has people stuck at home cooking and doing other things they don't usually do, like home projects they've been putting off, until now.

Sure enough,......

https://fox61.com/article/news/local/orthopedic-injuries-increase-since-advent-of-covid-19/520-513ff63d-ec58-4a39-a3d1-13e480b82615

Good thing you didn't cut your mouse finger.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

@Amos_Umwhat said:

Of course, they're Swedes, a polite and well educated fun-loving Germanic/Nordic tribe that bases most of it's social interaction on principals of cooperation.

I hear Vikings turning in their graves.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

From Fox News:

In contrast to multi-generational homes common in Mediterranean countries, more than half of Swedish households are made up of one person, which limits the risk of spread.

“We who are adults need to be exactly that: adults. Not spread panic or rumors,” Prime Minister Stefan Löfven said in a televised address to the nation last weekend. “No one is alone in this crisis, but each person has a heavy responsibility.”

A nationwide survey by Novus, a major polling company, found that a majority of Swedes watched and approved of the prime minister’s speech.

“Nobody really knows what [measures] will be most effective,” said Dr. Emma Frans, a medical epidemiology researcher at Karolinska Institutet in Stockholm. “I’m quite glad that I’m not the one making these decisions.”

• Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

4 types of people in the world now:
    Those who don't get it.
    Those who do but either don't know or self medicate and recover jyst fine.
    Those who get it seek medical help and recover just fine.
    Those who get it and die from it or "underlying conditions" yet get counted as a covid death.

This is either very deadly, which isn't being borne out by unskewed data, or it's very contagious, which is. It is certainly not both.

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

I disagree with you Paul, if you're saying that deaths are being misclassified as COVID-19 when they're really dying of complications from their preexisting conditions.

Diabetics aren't dying of high blood sugar. People with congestive heart failure aren't having extra heart attacks. Those over 60 aren't dying of old age. People with organ transplants and cancer are not dying from rejected organs or cancer. They're all dying due to fibrosis of the lung tissue because their compromised immune system cannot fight off the disease, which attacks lung tissue. I mean, if what you're really saying here is that the majority of these people who have died because of complications of the disease caused by other preexisting conditions would be dead anyways, I don't think so.

The mortality rate in the US is 1.8%, which is pretty consistent with covid patients worldwide. I think that this represents a pretty accurate account of how deadly the disease is.

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

@webmost said:

@Amos_Umwhat said:

Of course, they're Swedes, a polite and well educated fun-loving Germanic/Nordic tribe that bases most of it's social interaction on principals of cooperation.

I hear Vikings turning in their graves.

Lol, I know. I've often thought about that, having known many Norwegians and a few Swedes and Danes. How did one of the most violent people the world has ever seen, comparable the the Mongols or Masai in their ferocity, develop into such civilized people?

Side note, most of the Germans that I used to hang out drinking with assured me that the best Wives were Swedish. Healthy, good looking, hard working, easy to get along with. One of my aunts is 2nd generation Swede, fits the description to a tee.

At any rate, I still don't think a prolonged authoritarian shut down of everything is going to work. A delaying measure may be a good idea. Only time will tell.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Went on a fishing sea charter with Swedes from the company Ericcson in the early days of cell phones, those Vikings were heaving their guts the whole time, had to cut it short.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

What I'm saying , @VegasFrank, is the data is skewed. I don't deny this is killing those who may otherwise have survived. But so does influenza, TB, and myriad others.
    Suppose the population is 100 people. 10 get sick and are documented; of those 10, 1 dies. That's a 10% occurance & 1% mortality rate based on population alone. Base it on cases and the mortality data changes dramtically to 10 % If an additional 10 are sick but not documented, the actual rates become become 20 and 1, and 5 % respectively. Add an additional 20 who don't know they have it. Rates are now 40 % and 1 %. based on population, and 2.5% based on cases. Which is more scary and going to be headlines?
    That 1.8% mortality rate probably doesn't include anyone not documented. And Italy has been reporting as a covid death anyone who passes for whatever reason if they tested positive.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see what you're saying. I was speaking specifically about US mortality rate as a percentage of reported infected. Of course there are way more that have it than are reported...but those numbers, like virtually every large data set in the world, are imperfect and always will be.

Italy? **** I don't have the first earthly idea.....

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
    edited March 2020

Have a look at that link I posted the other day and this one as well. These guys do a way better job of 'splainin' than my dumb ass ever could.

http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2020/03/stop-panicking-over-bad-data.html?m=1

The 1.8% US mortality rate is based solely off documented cases. Roughly 125K cases, just over 2100 fatalities. if there are twice as many actual cases the rate drops to .9%. The rate of infection from this is less than .04% population wide just in the US ( estimated 350 million people). I'd wager the percentage of an otherwise healthy individual contracting, then dying from this is pretty damn low.

Post edited by Trykflyr_1 on
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IndustMech said:
    Reno?

Don't do that. We about to explode. That said, if any of ya'll are ever passing through Reno your first smoke is on me.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wylaff said:

@IndustMech said:
    Reno?

Don't do that. We about to explode. That said, if any of ya'll are ever passing through Reno your first smoke is on me.

Been there, done that. Great time Wayne.

A little dirt never hurt

@deadman said:

China should be on the left side of that pic

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Image may contain: possible text that says 'When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid.'

Nearly a dozen students at Liberty University in Lynchburg, Va., have developed symptoms of Covid-19. The school’s president, Jerry Falwell Jr., reopened its campus last week after calling the response to the pandemic an “overreaction.”

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

Some people aren't doing enough. Some of them I know personally. It's infuriating. I'm doing the perfect amount, while others are blowing it for humanity. Also, I find it highly therapeutic at this time to be intensely judgmental. I recommend everybody try it.

• miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bob_Luken said:
    Some people aren't doing enough. Some of them I know personally. It's infuriating. I'm doing the perfect amount, while others are blowing it for humanity. Also, I find it highly therapeutic at this time to be intensely judgmental. I recommend everybody try it.

You can't fix stupid.

I hear ya

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was struck with utter awe of disregard to social distancing yesterday as I passed by the downtown Columbia park on the Duck river where by my best estimate 2 pick-up basketball games in progress with about 10 people on each court, and bystanders grouped together around the action. Hey duffuses. If on of you got it you have just infect 20+ families. SMH

I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm curious about any long-term lung damage, if any, there may be from getting this illness.

Trapped in the People's Communist Republic of Massachusetts.

edited March 2020

@ShawnOL said:
    I'm curious about any long-term lung damage, if any, there may be from getting this illness.

Depends on which news channel you watch and what political side you are on.

However according to most Dr's there is scarring of the lungs being found in younger people who go through the worst phases of it. I imagine this would pertain to all if the symptoms are severe enough.

They are still finding more information on the effects as it spreads though.

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

The following types of infections may cause pulmonary fibrosis:

bacterial infections
    virual infections, resulting from hepatitis C, adenovirus, herpes virus, and other viruses

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the info, Rodney.

Trapped in the People's Communist Republic of Massachusetts.

@ShawnOL said:
    Thanks for the info, Rodney.

No problem. They are finding out more and more about underlying health issues as they study the after effects and recovery of those who have been infected. It is one bad respiratory infection for sure. In some cases they are saying a 10% to 15% reduction in lung capacity. Not sure what the sample size is but I know they are seeing the scarring of lungs for sure especially in younger people.

Best case scenario is to follow the CDC guidelines and take the Pandemic very serious.

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭