Home General Discussion

U Suck Postal Slobs

Comments

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like so many things, it was not too far off course until it reached Washington D.C., where so often plans go awry.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

Government efficiency in action.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@0patience said:
    So if the postal service can scour social media for "problems", then what prevents them from opening mail, to "protect the nation"?

Seems to me, that the line has been crossed and they're seeing how far they can go with it.

They have been x-raying, running it by dogs, and yes opening mail for years

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Diver43 said:

@0patience said:
    So if the postal service can scour social media for "problems", then what prevents them from opening mail, to "protect the nation"?

Seems to me, that the line has been crossed and they're seeing how far they can go with it.

They have been x-raying, running it by dogs, and yes opening mail for years

I've received some which had been opened.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

COTMC for May arrived in Memphis Saturday. Twice, according to tracking. Was supposed to be delivered yesterday. Hasn't left Memphis, according to tracking, but delivery date cannot be determined at this time, according to tracking. Who knows?

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    COTMC for May arrived in Memphis Saturday. Twice, according to tracking. Was supposed to be delivered yesterday. Hasn't left Memphis, according to tracking, but delivery date cannot be determined at this time, according to tracking. Who knows?

Package is still partying in Memphis. Funny, I stay the hell out of Memphis every chance I get, but my cigars seem to love hanging out there for a week or two.

Finally made it, and yes, they'd been opened prior to arrival here.

• Cam_91Cam_91 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

My postman is from Eastern Europe and smokes cigars. I leave him a couple cigars & water every now and then as a thank you for the endless stream of packages. Can’t understand anything he says, but cool dude 🤷🏻‍♂️

UPS remains my most hated parcel service. My cousin is a driver for them, so he’s taught me a couple tips and tricks for dealing with their nonsense.

• GaryThompsonGaryThompson Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

Day #2 of a USPS scheduled pickup “during regular delivery, on porch” as per package pickup options. Day #2 of watching postal slob floor it past my house without stopping. Lovely.

@GaryThompson said:
    Day #2 of a USPS scheduled pickup “during regular delivery, on porch” as per package pickup options. Day #2 of watching postal slob floor it past my house without stopping. Lovely.

Standard operational procedure. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

edited May 2021

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@GaryThompson said:

If you call to complain, they tell you "Covid".

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

@webmost said:

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@GaryThompson said:

If you call to complain, they tell you "Covid".

I’ll just have to suck it up and burn some precious gasoline driving over to post office to drop off. I like receiving mail and packages in our mailbox semi regularly.. won’t complain. It’s like complaining about your food at a restaurant and sending it back, then waiting for that cook to send you a new “special” plate.

Success! This poor woman that showed up looked like the mail truck had been running over her all the way over here! Haggard and beat! Almost had me apologizing to her as I handed her the box..whoa. I’ll be praying for her tonight, just..just.. damn!

• Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure why it took 2 days to go 375 miles. It’s not like there’s anywhere to stop on that road & it’s a 6 1/2 hr drive on a bad day.

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
    edited June 2021

According to tracking I was supposed to be getting a box of Bishop's Blend Lanceros today. They made it as far as Lancaster PA last Saturday. By all evidence, that's where they still are.

Crap!

Let's see, if they ever depart that location it'll be 2 days to Memphis, where they'll take that Memphis sabbatical while the clerks there open the package and pass it around, call the TBI agents to see "is this weed? I think they're giant blunts, Boss. Do we get a reward?"

Of course, I can't smoke them right now, but that doesn't mean I don't want to see them.

• Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

I blame the shippers for this. If we pay for 3 day shipping then we should get 3 day shipping to the address they have on file. By these companies using UPS sure post to save them money our packages are delivered to a post office before being delivered...if they even are then. I’m my case...if I’m lucky...they’re put in a postal locker. If not, they may sit there for an additional 3-4 days before I can get to the post office during the hours that the office is open. The three day shipping that we are guaranteed is not being honored. These companies need to resolve the issue by paying up for UPS ground shipping so that it is delivered to where it should be.

• CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got two more recent deliveries from the USPS as usual. Some might take an extra day but they do a great job round these parts.

• CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

No complaints here either. In fact, there have been several times I've gotten packages before the initial day tracking said they'd arrive.

@Rdp77 said:
    I blame the shippers for this. If we pay for 3 day shipping then we should get 3 day shipping to the address they have on file. By these companies using UPS sure post to save them money our packages are delivered to a post office before being delivered...if they even are then. I’m my case...if I’m lucky...they’re put in a postal locker. If not, they may sit there for an additional 3-4 days before I can get to the post office during the hours that the office is open. The three day shipping that we are guaranteed is not being honored. These companies need to resolve the issue by paying up for UPS ground shipping so that it is delivered to where it should be.

When you say "These companies need to resolve the issue by paying up for UPS ground shipping so that it is delivered to where it should be," are you willing to pay "these companies" what it would cost them, or where do you expect the money to come from?

I'm thinking your problem picking up at your P.O. may stem from the many blessings of your living "deep in the mountains".

@webmost said:

@Rdp77 said:

When you say "These companies need to resolve the issue by paying up for UPS ground shipping so that it is delivered to where it should be," are you willing to pay "these companies" what it would cost them, or where do you expect the money to come from?

I'm thinking your problem picking up at your P.O. may stem from the many blessings of your living "deep in the mountains".

If they make a guarantee such as 3 day shipping then that’s what should take place. And yes, I have paid for ground shipping through several companies for it to only be sent to a post office instead of the address on file all the while passing a ups truck on the road leading towards my home. If you make a guarantee it should honored. If you cannot honor it due to cost or whatever reason don’t make the guarantee.

It would be real handy if there was a better option. As a shipper, you are stuck in a sitch where the carrier doesn't always keep their promise.

We are far far from being a cigar.com or CI or such. But here is my modest experience:

We used to offer UPS at checkout. Virtually nobody ever chose that option. I assume because it cost more. Especially, if a customer lived the other side of the Mississippi, cost was prohibitive. Odd places like Alaska, it might run you eighty some bucks to deliver a single box of cigars. Kali would likely be in the thirties. Regardless what you paid, UPS would prolly hand it off to USPS at random. Meanwhile, UPS would always take longer, even next door, and was much more apt to damage the goods. They cannot deliver to a post office box, regardless of the fact they can hand off to a post office. Finally, the true cost of UPS to us is literally incalculable at time of checkout, because UPS charges $30 to drop by McSherrystown & pick up. So, how much you tack on for pickup = are there going to be 6 UPS packages or 1?

Priority Mail flat rate was our best option. Priority promises 1-3 days. I have rarely seen 1. If it's going next town, it may be there in 3. If it's going to most states it's 3. If it's going either to Florida or Utah, or thru via, it might be 3 days late. Nobody knows why. Utah delays are often ugly. Otherwise, 3 days is usually a good estimate. Be aware that 3 days means 3 business days, not including pickup date, which can stretch to a week. If they don't keep their promise, tuff tiddies. Damage is rare. If a guy orders more than 3 boxes, then a flat rate won't hold the goods, & we eat the diff.

FedEx is a disaster waiting to happen.

Does your merchant actually promise 3 day delivery, or do they promise to ship via an outfit which promises them 3 day delivery?

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I'm with rusty. Many times when I pay for 3-day shipping, it doesn't arrive for 7 days, and sometimes more. Just because it's the government, the USPS doesn't have to honor it's stated times. Why shouldn't I get a refund when I send something to Ernest and it takes triple the time then it should have? This is June. It's not a busy time. Ernest doesn't live in the sticks. I paid 20 bucks to ship something to him and he got in a week and a day later? I could have sent it f****** media mail and it would have gotten there in 8 days.

Don't look ↑
    edited June 2021

I'm not arguing fairness, Frank. I just don't know there's any alternative. The shipper doesn't get what he paid for, and so you don't get what you paid for. I have asked those identical questions of several postmasters. All you get is weasel answers in an I couldn't give a crap tone of voice. Me, I'm up to here, at this point, with the Covid excuse.

Of all the poor ways to ship, what we've found is that Priority Mail sucks least.

May have to adjust expectations.

Be nice if they handed the whole post office over to Amazon. They know how to get **** done.

If the merchant didn’t guarantee 3 day shipping I wouldn’t expect it; however, if they do then that is what they should deliver upon. If they guarantee it and then find a cheaper route that to me is a problem. I’ve been in sales and service for quite awhile. Something I learned very early is to not guarantee something if there is any question as to whether or not you can deliver upon that guarantee. It always seems to be the larger retailers making these guarantees. They have what I like to call “the Walmart syndrome”. They’ve gotten so large that they really don’t care if they have your business or not. Smaller retailers I have dealt with will do their best to make it very clear that it may be 7-11 days....and I don’t have a problem with that.

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

All I'm saying is we need to pick our battles. I wish all the carriers would keep their promises and give us what we pay for. The fact is, they don't. So what's the point of me getting my undies in a twist? Give me an example of the actual harm being done when something takes 5 days and they promised me 3. For 99% of the time, it just doesn't matter, other than the principle being violated.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

The way I see it...if principles being violated meant more to more people the world would be in a lot better shape. Sure we need to pick our battles. This is one I decided to pick simply because of the principle. Call me old fashioned or whatever... but I still believe someone’s word or guarantee should mean something no matter the situation. People have let things go for so long that they’ve become the norm.

Say what you mean, mean what you say. It’s really that simple.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

@webmost @peter4jc

I'm not arguing "fairness" at all. I don't live in a fair world and in fact, I cringe when my kids or employees bellyache about being fair.

But...

The box says 2 or 3 day. I pay per pound per mile when I don't ship flat rate. Flat rate is designed to be easier...red white and blue boxes that are certain dimensions that promote quick delivery. I pay a premium over first class to get it there faster. Now, it gets there with no statistically significant time difference than that of first class mail.

i.e.-There's no "priority" in the method.

The frustrating part of it is that there's ostensible reason or cause for it. Christmas always shares some blame. Amazon too, but the post office Amazon work has curtailed significantly with the advent of the Amazon van fleet. If there is some sort of reason for it, the post office, as a government institution, owes it to it's stakeholders to inform them of the reasons, new timetables, and possible windows or areas of delay.

I should know, I work for a government institution.

And I'm only talking about cigars. I would think that Peter would be more concerned. After all, guys like @IndustMech can apparently taste the difference between coffee roasted 5 days ago vs 6 days ago. How many more of the patrons of your artisan trade feel the same way? John may live a few hours from you, but what about the customer in California? Or the former customer from California?

If you thought I was whining, you misunderstood me I'm not whining. I am voicing my concern of a breech of faith that a government institution has created with it's stakeholders.

Don't look ↑
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank @Rdp77

I don't disagree with anything you're saying.

I also wanna say that I can, at times (more like almost all the time), come across like I'm saying, "I thought this through. I'm right. You should think like me." I apologize for not catching myself on that more often. Me telling you that you shouldn't get angry about stuff like transit times is waaaay dumber than getting angry about transit times.

Frank, John would be the first to say Day 5 after roasting and Day 6 are the same. But I do get your point and it bugs the crap outa me; my claim is that I roast and ship the same day, so when USPS can't even pick up until the next day and then wastes a day (or more) to deliver, I feel like I've let my customer down.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, there's a lot of griping on Home-Barista lately about delayed coffee order shipments from US roasters (not Peter) lately.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )