Home Non Cigar Related
Options

you can't make this stuff up

Comments

• Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:
    Walls of glass sound so much safer in a scenario that includes a bomb.

I often need to remind myself that I may not have the same information as the 'other people' who made a decision I see as dumb; they may have had other information and unknown reasons for deciding what they did. I often see some gaff and think "boy, was that dumb" and then turn around and do something even dumber.

Two quotes in my brain;

1) We make our decisions based on the information we have on hand at the time of said decision. (lets me off the hook for mistakes made when I was younger)

2) We judge ourselves based on our intentions, but we judge others based on their actions. (lets me off the hook when I screw up because my intentions were good, but others? F them, they screwed up)

I agree with what you said, it is easy to fall into that trap.

However, based solely on the fact the glass is transparent and allows potential shooters and ne'er do wells to see where potential victims are at in the room, I still say it is stupid.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hobbes86 said:
    A few years ago a local high school requested over 3 million dollars to renovate the inside of the school. This took place after a bomb scare, so their goal was to make it safer. The walls to the classrooms are now transparent glass.

Now no student can hide from a shooter, and yes, if you shoot in the same spot repeatedly even bulletproof glass can fail.

Oh, and they also used some of the funds to rebuild their auditorium, they made it smaller. It can no longer house the entire school population.

This is the poor decision making that wastes tax payer money.

What is the name of the school and where is it I'm intrigued to read about this craziness

• Options
    edited January 2022

@Jrflickster

Waseca, MN Junior/Senior High. I haven't found much online for it, just a few photos, but I am not sure how to get them here without posting a link for the entire search.

Here is a link to the architects that designed it, if you scroll through the banner you can see a few photos. In a couple of them, if you look in the background, you can see glass walls with desks on the other side. I found a photo that shows them better, but I just can't seem to include it without including a link for the entire image search. I am not tech savvy.

https://www.woldae.com/portfolio/waseca-junior-senior-high-school

• Options

I don't mind it nearly as much after seeing exactly what they accomplished. But I still wouldn't vote to approve a referendum for it in my schools.
    But that being said you should see the dome we recently built for really no good reason.
    https://www.hodagschoolsfnd.org/hodag-dome.html
    Sure there were donations but the money spent on it was stupid.

• Options

@Jrflickster So this dome was erected to provide an indoor location for athletic events? Was there no gymnasium?

• Options

We have a gym in both buildings...a pool in one. Weight rooms in both. I'd say we were set and doing just fine prior to the dome.

• Options

@Jrflickster said:
    We have a gym in both buildings...a pool in one. Weight rooms in both. I'd say we were set and doing just fine prior to the dome.

Interesting, I am inclined to agree with you on that one. My belief is that public schools tend to be too eager to reach for my wallet.

• Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

These people are working from home and required to wear a mask. Makes perfect sense.

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

"a fear of unmasked people"?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options

@CharlieHeis said:
    These people are working from home and required to wear a mask. Makes perfect sense.

What do they do if one of them has a fear of being masked? Do they green screen a mask on them so that the one with the fear of the unmasked now feels safe? Also, why would a sensible person "feel safe" when one of the other folks in the meeting is unhinged enough to have a fear of an unmasked person that is nowhere near them?

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShawnOL said:
    This is what this country is becoming. Coddling those with irrational fear. Sickening.

I think this may have started with Dr. Benjamin Spock in the 1950's. We've spent the last few generations indoctrinating school children with the idea that they should identify themselves with "their disability". That society at large is charged with an obligation to perform whatever mental / moral gymnastics are necessary to accommodate "their disability", no matter how real or contrived it may be.

By the 1980's parents were encouraging their children to act out in sometimes violent but always outrageous ways at school, so that they could get "their crazy check" from the government. A regular Pandora's Box of evil was released by these originally benign attempts to show compassion to those with disability.

It makes me wonder, what would the outcome have been if we'd punished those who attempted to game the system? Or, at the very least, not rewarded them?

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

@Amos_Umwhat What you just referenced above is further exacerbated by the fact it is becoming taboo for counselors and therapists to identify certain mental and emotional disorders. This is because, like you said, people are choosing to identify themselves by their disorders. Any attempt at identifying the disorder, or real attempt at correcting it, are then declared to be attacks on the individual's identity.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

or it could be sarcasm, poking fun at 'snowflakes'.

• Options

@silvermouse said:
    or it could be sarcasm, poking fun at 'snowflakes'.

It could very well be sarcasm poking fun at the "snowflakes." But then, that requires the existence of the issue.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

The suggestion to shoot them was, indeed, sarcasm. The rest of it? Not so much.

Or, are we referring to Ashleigh's memo? In which case, I stand by "Not so much", having recently spent time with my youngest sister who buys into this crap wholesale.

Compounding madness won't make it go away. Sooner or later, we'll either face facts, or suffer the consequences of denial.

Hmm, I think later might be now.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

@Amos_Umwhat My wife supervises a team of social workers, the kind of stuff Ashleigh says in her memo my wife hears on a consistent basis. Both from clients and fellow staff members. I believe you are correct, what folks always said might be happening later, is happening now.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,379 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sigmund Freud's nephew Edward Bernays, the "father of public relations" launched a successful campaign in the 1920s for the Beech-Nut Packing Company prompting physicians to agree that a hearty breakfast is better than a light breakfast to popularize bacon and eggs over the more traditional lighter breakfasts. He had his advertising agency's staff doctor send out 5000 letters to other doctors to get the headline: “4,500 physicians urge Americans to eat heavy breakfasts to improve their health.”

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

not the best solution to your problems:

Autocracy is a system of government in which absolute power over a state is concentrated in the hands of one person, whose decisions are subject to neither external legal restraints nor regularized mechanisms of popular control.

Kazakhstan president gives shoot-to-kill order against demonstrators, vows no negotiations
    President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev said he had mostly regained control of the country as Russian-led troops arrived but “terrorists” continued to attack “peaceful citizens.” He dismissed calls for negotiations to deal with the anti-government protests roiling the country for the past week as “stupidity.”

• Options

@silvermouse said:
    not the best solution to your problems:

Autocracy is a system of government in which absolute power over a state is concentrated in the hands of one person, whose decisions are subject to neither external legal restraints nor regularized mechanisms of popular control.

Sounds familiar.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options

@Yakster said:
    Sigmund Freud's nephew Edward Bernays, the "father of public relations" launched a successful campaign in the 1920s for the Beech-Nut Packing Company prompting physicians to agree that a hearty breakfast is better than a light breakfast to popularize bacon and eggs over the more traditional lighter breakfasts. He had his advertising agency's staff doctor send out 5000 letters to other doctors to get the headline: “4,500 physicians urge Americans to eat heavy breakfasts to improve their health.”

Science is for sale.

• Options

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

You all missed it. The correct answer was to wear a mask with a mouth and nose screen printed on it.

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Options

one inch of snow most of which melted by 1 pm,
    and they called a snow day for the public schools.

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    one inch of snow most of which melted by 1 pm,
    and they called a snow day for the public schools.

Only miles away

• Options

• Options