Home Non Cigar Related

Post Every Boring Aspect Of Your Mundane Life Thread

Comments

• JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hehe no no not you either

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reading this article led me to wonder why we are doing this when there is so much to fix on the planet we are already on.
    Artemis: Nasa expects humans to live on Moon this decade
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-63688229

Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible God and destroys a visible Nature. Unaware that the Nature he is destroying is this God he is worshipping. -Hubert Reeves

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

Planning an escape route for the few at the top of the pyramid would be my guess.

Love that quote, but I think I'd replace unaware with denying. Minor point, the sentiment still holds.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most days, anything to do w/ space seems a waste of money to me. But, and there's always a but, I believe it's possible to remedy the world's woes and explore.

That quote only works to send a message in broad terms. Broken down, it is faulty and poor logic. I get what Reeves was saying and agree with the basic premise. But Man does not worship God, Man worships himself; those who accurately worship God also reverence His creation and are good stewards of it.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

Eversource is raising our electric bill by 23% because of the cost of fossil fuel in Massachusetts and the increasing demand for kilowatts. Throwing a few billion from the rocket budget would help fix the problem. A growing fleet of electric vehicles and rickety grid with not enough chargers could use some fixing, too.

The Doomsday Clock indicates the likelihood of a global catastrophe. With the clock sitting at 100 seconds to midnight, there are plenty of problems to take care of here on Earth.

So why are we going back to the moon at any cost?
    By contrast, commercial aerospace company Space-X’s smaller but reusable Falcon Heavy rocket costs just $90 million per launch. The company’s upcoming behemoth, the 394-foot tall Starship, is projected to cost as little as $10 million per launch. Even if these estimates are optimistic, Space-X rockets will be a bargain compared to the projected $93 billion that NASA will spend to land two astronauts on the moon.

https://thehill.com/opinion/technology/3743139-back-to-the-moon-at-any-cost/

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is, however, a touch of irony that we're having this conversation on devices that primarily exist solely because of the knowledge gained in the pursuit of space exploration.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

Maybe NASA is like defense contractors, and politicians can get re-elected by spending govt. money in their own districts?

edited November 2022

At least it is just water vapor though the cloud causes some cooling effect.

edit...I don't know what energy source NASA uses to generate the hydrogen though.

Post edited by silvermouse on
  • Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, let’s just say that all of that👆🏻is 100% water vapor. With the amount of heat generated, and the force that the vapor is expelled (generally in the gulf coast area) people are going to try to tell me that my truck is causing an uptick in hurricanes???

I just can’t get behind the whole space exploration thing…not until they can at least tell me where on Earth the planes of flight 19 are, or where Jimmy Hoffa is, or on and on….there’s still plenty here to explore that wouldn’t cost us nearly as much. 

• First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no proof but I think we are in a space race with at least the Chinese. There are no International governing rules in space. Who will develop a base on the moon first? Who will control the moon? Will that country militarize their base? More questions than answers.

• CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also think all this space exploration is just the cover for military related projects, which is the real purpose of it all.

That's my WTF, lol.

• Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

At home already for the week…on Tuesday 🙄. Being told there’s nothing left “we” can do this week that can’t be done over the phone. Laziness is a frickin cancer.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Busy enough today that I don't have time not to just do things to get them off my plate. Benjamin Franklin once said that "if you want something done, ask a busy person." People who aren't busy have the time to put things off.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

Dug up the dahlia tubers for winter storage before the ground froze. :)

• TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paying attorney retainer...so fun

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lawyers are trained in the art of deceit.

• TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022

@First_Warrior said:
    Lawyers are trained in the art of deceit.

I think the one I talked to was getting sauced after his Thanksgiving but the guy's reputation is impeccable so... $350 an hour on the phone well spent.

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.

I changed the oil in my car and then made a dessert for the Thanksgiving pot-luck tomorrow.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

I ordered some of the ccom cyber Monday deals and they somehow managed to place an order for me on a box of LFD Air Bender Double Press that I didn't want. Now I have to call them on their busiest day of the year to get it canceled. Wish me luck.

https://www.cigar.com/shop/cigar-com-cyber-monday/2042119/?v=60

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.