Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Gardens

Comments

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s been the same here. Cool wet spring. Most of the leaves are out now but the ground is still colder than normal.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CalvinAndHobo said:
    One of the praying mantis eggs hatched, but I’ve got snow on the ground. Hopefully they can survive until tomorrow before I release them.

How did they do, Calvin?

• Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:

@CalvinAndHobo said:
    One of the praying mantis eggs hatched, but I’ve got snow on the ground. Hopefully they can survive until tomorrow before I release them.

How did they do, Calvin?

I haven't seen a single one outside since I released them. Then again, they are meant to blend in, so who knows.

• Options

Back when I worked on the farm I would bike 2 miles and put in 8 to 10 hours of hard work and bike back home. Now 1/2 hour exhausts me. I don't like it.

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

@0patience said:

Doing some clearing.
    Most of it was saplings growing out of control.

Damn Tony you looking settled in there. Anyone got an address yet???

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds great!

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    TRayBTRayB Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

@silvermouse said:
    Harvested rhubarb and made a batch of strawberry/rhubarb frozen yogurt.

My Granddad used to make an awesome strawberry-rhubarb pie. Sweet and tart. I miss those pies (and Granddad, he's been gone about 20 years now).

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grandma always had Strawberry Rhubarb pie, I love it, but I'm not sure if she made it or bought it. She also always had creamed corn from the can.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    edited May 2023

It is an old spring tradition that has mostly died out, except in England where forcing the stems in late winter or early spring is still practiced. Used to be known as 'pie plant'.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/forcing-rhubarb/

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/rhubarb/how-to-force-rhubarb-plants.htm

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're having strawberry rhubarb anything, it's a law that you have to plop a big scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

We freeze half pint jars and add them to apples when we make pies. Great combination

• Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still haven't seen a single preying mantis since I released them in my yard. I'm assuming they all died at this point. Going to try ladybugs next year I think.

• Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

The squirrels have been robbing my raised gardens.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Squirrels love those maple seeds I see in your pictures. They may be burying those, as much as they are robbing your garden.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭✭✭

We use granular animal repellant to deter them critters.

• Options

@First_Warrior said:
    Started a flat of lettuce this AM. Direct seeded second planting of green beans, radishes, turnips, and onion sets for green onions. Transplanted a flat of lettuce and pulled weeds. Will see to transplanting tomatoes, summer squash and cucumbers this weekend. Looks like the southeast will be dry this summer so We are planing for it and mulching most everything. Our thyme and rosemary has taken off as well as cilantro, mint, and chives. Nice to have fresh herbs while building a meal.

Sounds like an excellent garden you've got there, Rodger.

• Options

Labor of love brother. Growing stuff is kind of magical. We have raised beds with a six foot deer fence.

• Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭✭✭

First time growing anything besides grass and weeds. How does one know when radishes are ready for picking?

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options

when you want a radish and they are big enough, don't let them send up a flower stalk or they will get woody. Too much water and they will split, too little and they will stress and bolt early.

• Options

@silvermouse said:
    Planter the peppers and pole beans, finally. Between the cold nights and being able to only work in 10 minute bursts the garden is getting planted later than usual. But it sure feels restorative and rewarding. Tomorrow the squash.

Rodger, what do you use for mulch?

We got most everything in this AM. Used straw and some old ratty landscaping fabric for mulch. I like French Breakfast radishes as they grow fast and are trouble free. For slower growing radishes we go for Watermelon radishes.

• Options

When I joined this forum I never thought I'd learn so much about things other than cigars. Gardens, bbqs, smoking meats, pipes, beer, bourbon, and so much more is covered around here.