Home Non Cigar Related

BoTL and The GUN...Military thread

So as hijacked from previous post who else is out there?
Active, Reserve or former?
Branches?
Let the 'brotherly' smack talk begin...lol!

Comments

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Was in the Army got out as a E-5 "buck" sergeant.
  • Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    I'm a Jarhead myself...got out as an E-3 Lance Corporal.
    so.. anymore army folk, got to outnumber the jarheads ya know.. lol
    Andy, were you active during any of the wars? I was in afgan but luckily got out before Iraq started, though I kind of wished I would have stayed, I lost a lot of good friends over there, sort of keep thinking I could have helped in some way...
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    I'm active Army with 18yrs TIS. I'm currently a SFC (E-7) but will be a 1LT in about 2 years and a CPT 16 months later, so I think that means that I outrank the Jarheads even if they do outnumber us Phoebs. LOL
    lol, what took ya so long change your mind and go to OCS? Have you thought about going Warrant? I was considering changing MOS's and becomming a helicopter pilot Warrant.
  • I am now a SSG on active duty in the army. I was in for 5 years before, during desert storm and came back in a about 2 years ago. Have 7 years in. Was a medic before and now have different job...
    one jarhead out numbers and out ranks about 10 soldiers...lol
    I wasn't in during any wars...Somalia was ending and Bosnia was a NATO deal. I wouldn't worry about the past, you never know what you could have done to help...you might have been there with them and not made it back either. I feel you on the comraderie though...I miss a few of my friends from when I was in. There is nothing like partying with fellow jarheads.
    Very true Andy. I have a few Navy and Marine friends (about the same actually.. lol) and getting drunk with them is a little too much fun.. I usually feel outnumbered as most of my military friends anymore are navy, airforce, and marines.
  • Currently active Navy Petty Officer First Class (E-6) been in fo 9 1/2 years.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    thats not why your angry is it?
  • Was an E-4 in the Army. I was planning on staying in. I was going to the board in Iraq, but I had a little breakdown and my first sergeant changed his mind. I got out when we got back and I think I've been better off since. I don't think any American should be asked to fight a war when it doesn't mean protecting american lives.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Currently an Active Duty Navy Chief Petty Officer(E-7) stationed in Lemoore, CA. Been in for about 12 years. Been aviation all of my career and have spent a lot of time aroud mairines, have developed a deep respect for the bastards.
    awesome Chief...lol...I wonder if you know any of the navy folks I worked with over there

BTW, I got the V mads in...Thanks greatly.
    Glad you liked em! I'm still kissing every ass i can find out here trying to get a few more.
    i here ya, they are now a must have and the supply is limited. If was able to buy (cigar restriction), I would but all I can do for now is trade.
    Bad Andy:
    i here ya, they are now a must have and the supply is limited. If was able to buy (cigar restriction), I would but all I can do for now is trade.

Cigar restriction? Sounds like me(well...the wife to be exact) when i overshoot the cigar budget LOL!!
    At least you have a cigar budget...mine has dried up for a while. Got to get a few things paid off then it will be on.
    phobicsquirrel:
    lol, what took ya so long change your mind and go to OCS? Have you thought about going Warrant? I was considering changing MOS's and becomming a helicopter pilot Warrant.
    I'm not going to OCS. I'm in the Physician Assistant program. I've been wanting to do it for a while but didn't have the prereqs and wasn't able to get them with deployments and all. Then a few years ago, they started a program that allows you to go to college for a semester to finish certain prereqs before PA school so I applied to PA school through that progarm and got accepted in 2007. I just finished the prereqs and will start the actual school in April. When I'm done in 2 yrs, I will be a PA with a Masters degree from the University of Nebraska and will get commissioned as a 1LT with accelerated promotion to CPT at 16 months because they give you credit towards promotion for the time while you are in school.

Andy, I feel you brother. My cigar funds have dried up for a while too. My truck died last week, so now I need to save to get the part to fix it. I think its the fuel pump but have a couple more checks to run on it before I'll know for sure.

Also, I'll deny it if anyone asks but some Marines are good guys. I just have to keep the Army-Navy rivalry alive and well. Besides, they can't help themselves that they aren't man enough to do 12-15 month deployments and have to go home to momma after 6-8 months. LOL
    Yeah...being broke is like the term 'when it rains, it pours'!

Hell, I'd deny it too but I am one we can be a bit 'different' and it is fun. I always pick on army friends, saying they can't shoot or march. I'm pretty sure its not that we aren't man enough, maybe it is true that MARINES are SMARTER than SOLDIERS...lol
    Bad Andy:
    I'm pretty sure its not that we aren't man enough, maybe it is true that MARINES are SMARTER than SOLDIERS...lol
    I'm pretty sure it's not that they aren't man enough, and I would probably agree in part to the smarter part at least where the higher leadership is concerned. The way that I heard it explained was that the Army had to do longer tours because we had to ship our unit equipment over and by the time we got our equipment there, unloaded, set up and transitioned with the previous unit, a month would be gone and then the same going out so 6 months was too short and not cost effective. For my last couple rotations though we have always taken our equipment and then left it behind for the next unit so this really doesn't hold water with me anymore.
    I would agree about y'alls leadership...I went to crypto school at Ft Gordon back in the day. Saw a lot of leadership missing there. Then I saw some awful things while I was contracting too. Marines have there own leaderhip issues too, usually the overzealous yackoff that wants to micromanage things instead of delegating to perfectly capable and well-trained Marines do their jobs. It usually doesn't last long...SNCO/NCO handle things at that point...

The way I understand y'alls rotation is that you are much larger and that is what the army is made for...holding ground. Marines are smaller and more mobile...essentially a combat element as a whole, take the ground then move-on to take more ground. We operate completely different.
    rdnstn:
    I just have to keep the Army-Navy rivalry alive and well. Besides, they can't help themselves that they aren't man enough to do 12-15 month deployments and have to go home to momma after 6-8 months. LOL

WTF????.....Game on Ron!

rdnstn:
    The way that I heard it explained was that the Army had to do longer tours because we had to ship our unit equipment over and by the time we got our equipment there, unloaded, set up and transitioned with the previous unit, a month would be gone and then the same going out so 6 months was too short and not cost effective. For my last couple rotations though we have always taken our equipment and then left it behind for the next unit so this really doesn't hold water with me anymore.

So it all boils down to efficiency? We can pack up 7 squadrons of 6 to 12 aircraft each, all of our tools, equipment, gear and personal belongings and be on a ship underway in 48 hours, which can be put anywhere in the world. Close air Support...Navy, Corpsmen...Navy, Battlefield Communications...Navy, SEALS...Navy, Equipment Transport...Navy, Amphibious Assault...Navy. We can refuel, replenish, restock and re-arm all underway, during flight ops at 25 knots. It's not that were not "man enough" to do 12-15 month deployments, but when you got your **** together, 6-7 months is all it takes....Son!

The Chief has spoken...
    yes you have...thanks for the ride Chief
    I agree Jet but I was aiming that comment specifically at the Marines because I can honestly say that I have no idea how the Navy operates. Its all in fun though. In my family, one of my grandfathers was in the Navy, the other was in the Air Force and I had an uncle in the Marines so we have every service covered except Coast Guard. But they don't count anyway since they belong to the Dept. of Transportation except during times of war.
    Rofl, hopefully ya'll didnt take that too seriously. I love you guys but i still like spirited inter-service smack talk. Happens between us and the marines on the boat all the time. Usually ends up with them getting pissed off and whooping our **** though.
    wow, navy personnel admitting to that...lol
    Yeah, its a love hate thing on the boat. Usually they only fight as a group though. We had a no-fly maintenance day on the boat once. The marines washed 3 airplanes that day. I cant remember what they did to piss us off but we went over and smeared black axle grease all over their clean bird, they came back at us that night and threw one of out tool boxes over the side, we in turn picked up all of their box lunches for lunch and dinner(we called the galley posing as marines saying we were busy so a navy guy would be picking up their food) so none of em ate that day. That really pissed them off so inbetween launches they mustered up their whole line shack, busted into ours, beat us up and took our food. No major injuries, just a ton of bruises. We kinda had that coming, people get cranky when the dont eat on the boat :)
    Never mess with a Marines woman, food and alcohol. Do not make eye contact with a Marine while he is eating either, it can get ugly.
  • I don't see that happening to any of the guys I was in the Army with. The thought of some wannabe sailors who couldn't score high enough on the asvab to get in the Navy taking our lunches? It's laughable. BTW, we still doing the superbowl game?