Home Non Cigar Related
Options

The Bourbon and Whiskey Thread

Comments

• Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @90+_Irishman IMHO this one does well to sit a while in bottle after opening (what would I call that? Oxygenating?). Really opens it up
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I may have missed it, but has anyone tried the Jamison Caskmasters yet?  I like the regular Jamison, but the new commercial also looks interesting.  
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YankeeMan said:
    I may have missed it, but has anyone tried the Jamison Caskmasters yet?  I like the regular Jamison, but the new commercial also looks interesting.  
    Love the caskmates.  Really good flavor and not overpowering.  Definitely a great drink for the price.
  • Options
    YankeeMan said:
    Love the caskmates.  Really good flavor and not overpowering.  Definitely a great drink for the price.
    Thank you for the info.  Of course I had the name wrong but luckily you knew what I meant.  I will give it a try for sure.
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YankeeMan said:
    YankeeMan said:
    Thank you for the info.  Of course I had the name wrong but luckily you knew what I meant.  I will give it a try for sure.
    I had to look at the bottle to confirm.  LOL.  I thought I had it wrong. 
  • Options
    Having a pour of Yamazaki 18 tonight. Hot damn, what a special dram
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    @90+_Irishman I had some Monkey Shoulder tonight. Gem of a blended Speyside Scotch offering. Highly recommended ! 
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jarubla said:
    @90+_Irishman I had some Monkey Shoulder tonight. Gem of a blended Speyside Scotch offering. Highly recommended ! 
    Very nice, I love that stuff and have a partial bottle stashed away that I take sips on on occasion, love it!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Brett, I opened a bottle of CEHT Straight Rye last night as well. Damn, Buffalo Trace did a great job with this one!
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a bottle of CEHT Barrel Proof that is incredible, huge body and massive flavor with a decent bite as you would expect with barrel proof. I don't drink it regularly for that reason, but on special occasions is a wonderful axe kicker! Its one of those that kicks you in the teeth but you like it if that makes sense!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Tonight's pour. Mein Gott im himmel, what a truly magnificent dram

• Options
    You all find the most unique brands.  We have the state liquor stores here and I have to try several stores in different counties just to get Irish Mist!
  • Options
    A pour of Laphroaig 10 to celebrate St Patty's, followed by a pour of Unibroue's 'Terrible Select' ( http://www.unibroue.com/en/beers/22/product )
  • Options
    Another pour of laphroaig 10 and an lfd back in the back room
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love Four Roses <3

• Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

I used to drink a brand called Wasmund's from Copper Fox Distillery near Charlottesville, VA.  The first single malt whiskey they made used a hybrid fruit wood developed by the University of Virginia and it was absolutely amazing.  Looking at their website it seems they've grown and expanded.  I think they only sell up in the states surrounding Virginia (looks like they ship too), so if you're ever in that area pick yourself up a bottle.

I'm a big fan of whiskey in general.  I'm no connoisseur by any stretch of the imagination but I definitely love sitting down to a glass with or without a cigar.  I usually keep a handle of Black Label on hand at all times but in the last several months I've also had a bottle of Oban 14, Tallisker 10 year, Johnny Walker Gold Label, Glenmorangie 10 year, Red Label, Crown Royal Rye, and Haig Club.

I'd say I'm a pretty big fan of everything I just listed except the Haig Club.  I don't take notes or look for particular flavors like I do with cigars but I do know I'll drink the rest of that bottle mixed with Coke.

• Options
    @MikeTodd Did you happen to notice the gold and silver labels? Did they enlighten you on your tour as to why that might be?
  • Options
    MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jd50ae, are you talking about on the bottles or on the barrels themselves? I know there is a different 4 Roses that is sent to Japan and also there are several limited editions out there. I'm not sure to what you are referring to though.
  • Options
    @MikeTodd The photo I posted one is silver and one gold. They were bought at the same liquor store. Didn't even notice until I took the photo. 
  • Options
    MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm. They look very similar in the photo. I am honestly not sure. They are all bottled at one facility in KY so it isn't to diferentiate which site they were bottled on. That is interesting.
  • Options
    @MikeTodd Guess what. It isn't gold or silver, it is transparent. But embossed in such a way as to look metallic. I admit my eyes aren't what they use to be but gee whiz.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

I am a bit behind on sharing **** here. Have grabbed a few bottles (hell, WAS, I suppose is an akin malaise to CAS, right??) but I am truly stoked about this offering.

Slainte
  • Options
    Nice pours tonight

• Options
    Picked up a JWGL and a Genfiddich 15 Solera earlier today. Gonna open the Green Label in a sec
  • Options
    jarubla said:
    @90+_Irishman IMHO this one does well to sit a while in bottle after opening (what would I call that? Oxygenating?). Really opens it up

I know what I am about to say will be considered heresy by some, but I like it.
    I have found that a splash of unflavored sparkling water will open the nose and flavor no matter the Whiskey.

I have never had W.L. Weller,

And this bottle has been sitting in the cabinet for over a year. Bout time.......

• Options
    @jd50ae drink it however you like! 

How was that WL Weller? 
  • Options
    jarubla said:

How was that WL Weller? 

I could become accustomed to it, ain't bad at all.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:
    jarubla said:

How was that WL Weller? 

I could become accustomed to it, ain't bad at all.
    Isn't the Weller made from reject Pappy bourbon that doesn't make the cut? Seems like I've heard that. 
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a big fan of whiskey in general.  I'm no connoisseur by any stretch of the imagination but I definitely love sitting down to a glass with or without a cigar.  I usually keep a handle of Black Label on hand at all times but in the last several months I've also had a bottle of Oban 14, Tallisker 10 year, Johnny Walker Gold Label, Glenmorangie 10 year, Red Label, Crown Royal Rye, and Haig Club.

I'd say I'm a pretty big fan of everything I just listed except the Haig Club.  I don't take notes or look for particular flavors like I do with cigars but I do know I'll drink the rest of that bottle mixed with Coke.

@clearlysuspect Sound like a connoisseur to me! I really like the Talisker 10, and Glenmorangie is a great easy to drink scotch. 
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America