Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    Well I broke in the garage last night. I enjoyed a Kristoff Maduro while my buddies enjoyed a CAO cameroon and a Nice Libre from my collection....all the while we were watching Family Guy!!! The Kristoff was very good, but I'm not too sure if I would buy it again. For the price, there are other cigars I enjoy more.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    PuroFreak:
    Finally done with my long stretch of work and now I'm off for 9 days! Let the smoking BEGIN!!!!

Chiiit if I got nine days off I probably wouldn't go back ....
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I had a Maker's Mark the other day and, althought it wasn't horrible, I just didn't get it. While the prelight aroma was pretty good, that's about it. The wrapper was so thin and it tasted like a wanna-be Acid. Not to mention there was absolutely no body to it at all.
  • Options
    clearlysuspect:
    I had a Maker's Mark the other day and, althought it wasn't horrible, I just didn't get it. While the prelight aroma was pretty good, that's about it. The wrapper was so thin and it tasted like a wanna-be Acid. Not to mention there was absolutely no body to it at all.

Hey Phil did it have any age on it? I've had 'em fresh and with over a year and age def does them some good ...
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I had a Casa Magna today after seeing a live Division 3 Rugby match... Cigar Aficionado gave this the #1 rating for 2008 and I can see why... It's cheap and has a very chocolate and leather feel too it. Smoked perfectly and slowly, a very good cigar for the price... Mine was a little young and got bitter in the last third, but a worthy smoke... Maybe not ALL TIME #1, but worth the price in spades.
  • Options
    Just finished off a Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet Torpedo....good prelight aroma...lots of creamy white smoke....medium bodied....with a nice smooth draw. This is a good tasty cigar with a very pleasant aroma....def in my top 10 right now.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    forum blend...it was excellent, of course
  • Options
    tshawtshaw Posts: 178
    Lasabar:
    I had a Casa Magna today after seeing a live Division 3 Rugby match... Cigar Aficionado gave this the #1 rating for 2008 and I can see why... It's cheap and has a very chocolate and leather feel too it. Smoked perfectly and slowly, a very good cigar for the price... Mine was a little young and got bitter in the last third, but a worthy smoke... Maybe not ALL TIME #1, but worth the price in spades.
    I had one as well...what size did you have? mine was delicious to say the least. second one i have had and they havent failed to impress.
  • Options
    gmill880:
    clearlysuspect:

Hey Phil did it have any age on it? I've had 'em fresh and with over a year and age def does them some good ...
    No age. Straight outta the tube. Probably just not my cup of tea though. I like thick wrappers on my cigars and I gotta have it full bodied. I think the only mild cigar I've ever enjoyed was the Ccom Purple Label.
  • Options
    clearlysuspect:
    gmill880:
    clearlysuspect:

No age. Straight outta the tube. Probably just not my cup of tea though. I like thick wrappers on my cigars and I gotta have it full bodied. I think the only mild cigar I've ever enjoyed was the Ccom Purple Label.

Gotcha ...
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Lasabar:
    but worth the price in spades.
    What's the exchange rate on spades to USD? :)

Had a few today with some of the forum guys. Started with a Rocky Patel 1961 robusto, this one screamed typical Rocky to me, not bad but not great, basically a cigar anyone can enjoy. Later was a Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet segundo churchill, awesome smoke. After that came a La Flor Double Ligero, was about a 6x54 or so, good cigar, got a bit squishy in the last couple inches.
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Another slow night at the bar.. Apparently this place used to be wild and crazy, but now that they're trying to clean up the image, it's slow as chit..

Either way, it gives me time to enjoy a Gurkha Park Avenue churchill.. Ya know, this really is the perfect time for a big stick - gives a solid couple hours of enjoyment to pass the time..
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Had an Indian Tabac Super Fuerte last night while i finished up a t-shirt design for the shop. It was such a great smoke, every time I have one of these I am so satisfied. They really hit the spot. Right now I am in the middle of a Java, another great smoke.
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    I'm smoking my last Cu-Avana Intenso. I really wanted to get in on the torpedo daily deal, but wasn't able to. I want today's deal too, but can't get it. It sucks not having a bank account.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Having a CAO LX2 right now, seems to have got better with 6months of age, still strong but more flavor.
  • Options
    ashmaster:
    Had myself a La Flor Domincana L300, aged 9 mos. This smoke was perfect for the night. Lots of smooth flavor, med to med-full body, hint of sweet spice, some earthiness and a woody flavor, great burn, plenty of smoke, finger tips burnt. Went nicely with a touch of Glenfiddich. Very happy!!
    GREAT cigar. I love these guys. I really dig the l500
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Just had a Gurkha Sherpa.... not a fan.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Well it has been an AWESOME weekend so far! Started Friday night with an Opus X that was AMAZING as always. Next went with a Centurian, also have had and Ashton ESG. Not sure what is on deck for tonight, but it will be something good!
  • Options
    PuroFreak:
    Well it has been an AWESOME weekend so far! Started Friday night with an Opus X that was AMAZING as always. Next went with a Centurian, also have had and Ashton ESG. Not sure what is on deck for tonight, but it will be something good!

Thoughts on the ESG Jason ...
  • Options
    gmill880:
    PuroFreak:

Thoughts on the ESG Jason ...
    Some top shelf cigars there puro, how did you like the esg? I find it rather under-whelming myself. Not as much flavor as the vsg in my opinion. What Opus did you have btw?
  • Options
    TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
    5 Vegas Gold Torpedo. Enjoyed this one quite a bit. I was told that the 5 Vegas Gold was very similar to the CAO Gold, which thus far is my fav. And it is very similar. I can only compare the CAO robusto to the 5 Vegas Torpedo. I found the last two inches or so to become a bit harsh and bitter, which I did not find in the CAO. But for the price difference, I may have a box of 5 Vegas Gold Robusto in my future. I really like how this smoke is mild but doesn't lack flavour, creamy and rich. It also doesn't leave my mouth feeling nasty the rest of the day.
  • Options
    nickgonzonickgonzo Posts: 146
    I actually had a Opus last night. Smoked the power ranger, then in the process I had too many cuba libres (the drink) and smoked a Differencia Cubana or something was really mild. This morning sucked though mad hangover :(
  • Options
    TheShaun:
    5 Vegas Gold Torpedo. Enjoyed this one quite a bit. I was told that the 5 Vegas Gold was very similar to the CAO Gold, which thus far is my fav. And it is very similar. I can only compare the CAO robusto to the 5 Vegas Torpedo. I found the last two inches or so to become a bit harsh and bitter, which I did not find in the CAO. But for the price difference, I may have a box of 5 Vegas Gold Robusto in my future. I really like how this smoke is mild but doesn't lack flavour, creamy and rich. It also doesn't leave my mouth feeling nasty the rest of the day.
    I noticed the same thing.
  • Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    I just had a 5 Vegas Gold Robusto and I have to agree that they are a very mild but flavorful smoke. I was able to walk away for 5 or 10 min. and it was still lit perfectly! I have not tried the CAO Gold yet for a comparison but I would def. recomend the 5 Vegas Gold as an everyday cigar. You can't go wrong with the deals that they were running on C.Com. I'm thinking that I will smoke a Nica Libre 1990 or La Aroma De Cuba tonight....hmmmmm decisions decisions. Any thoughts???
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Yesterday was a 4 stick day for me, it started out kinda crappy with a Gurkha Black Dragon that had kind of a busted foot and a slight hint of a crack that ended up causing the stick to blow up about 2 inches in, wrapper, binder, everything blew up in it but before that it didn't impress me all that much. Tim gave me a Perdomo Reserve Oscuro that made me a bit green until I went and got something to eat. Man did that help a ton, it ended up being a really powerful, flavorful smoke and I'd recommend it to anyone wanting something full bodied. I wrapped up my time in the shop with a RP 1961 and that sucker was spicy, and had some pretty good flavors but by the time I had got to it, my nose was pretty much shot and needed a break.

I went down to San Diego and bought a Oliva Connecticut Reserve and I loved it so much I nubbed it down to below an inch, I'm gonna have to scrape up some cash somewhere and buy a 5 pack of these, they are really tasty for a Connecticut wrapped stogie.
  • Options
    Just finished a DPG Cuban Classic , my first of these. First the draw was really really loose , almost no resistance at all. Seemed to burn a little fast , it was a robusto and lasted about 50 minutes and I was not smoking fast at all. Good flavor ...spice earth and pepper ...lotsa smoke ...good aroma ...a very pleasant experience although I don't believe I got the full experience of what these have to offer compared to some of you guys. I would like to burn another and compare. This one was fresh from the B&M , I stopped by there to pick up my ticket for the CAO event this tuesday ...really looking forward to that . They are having it at a pub with a nice smoking area , cash bar and should be a good time. My cigar buddy can't make it but a good chance to meet some like minded folks, smoke some cigars have a few drinks and make new friends ...can't have too many friends !!! Or Cigars !!!
  • Options
    TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
    phobicsquirrel:
    TheShaun:
    I noticed the same thing.
    Which part?
  • Options
    TGOTGO Posts: 340 ✭✭
    Starting the evening off with a Nestor Mirana Special Selection Lancero... got a RP 1961 on deck :)
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Had myself a Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet Friday night. It was the really small size. A little bigger than the Upmann DemiTasse but nowhere near as good. After that, I had a DemiTasse. This one was weird. I swear I was smoking a Gurkha Platinum Reserve, the one that is triple infused. Obviously this cigar is not infused but it tasted soooooooooo similar. Last night was anohter DemiTasse. For small cigars these things smoke for like 45 minutes minimum. The one last night was similar the Friday but not that close. I bought a box of 60 of these months ago and it's nice to see that age does them well. Today I had my first CAO Black from the cotm club back 6 - 7 months ago. It was good. Lasted a long time. I think it was the Bengal size. Not bad but there are others I like better.
  • Options
    I had an Oliva Series O today. First one I've ever tried and also the first one I've ever smoked while riding around in my car. I really enjoyed both the cigar and riding around in my car.