Home General Discussion
Options

THE NEWBIE WELCOMING THREAD

Comments

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome @RobbyCruz

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome @RobbyCruz and @logan_042

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome @logan_42, @BlueMan0, and @RobbyCruz and anyone else I missed.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,884 ✭✭✭✭✭

That about covers it, Peter's an "also ran".

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

@Bob_Luken said:
    Big welcome to all the new guys, Ray, Peter, Mikey, and Arley. (And to anybody I missed.) Welcome aboard.

@peter4jc : From February 2015

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IndustMech said:

@Bob_Luken said:
    Big welcome to all the new guys, Ray, Peter, Mikey, and Arley. (And to anybody I missed.) Welcome aboard.

@peter4jc : From February 2015

That is my favorite necro,.... until I see better.

• Options
    amosdmorseamosdmorse Posts: 4 ✭✭

I am new to the forum but I am a Louisiana guy who has been smoking cigars on and off for about 15 years. I got into it when I was overseas as a Navy contractor and now I smoke about a cigar a week. My go-to is a Carlos Torano Exodus Gold 1959. I am looking for a recommendation of something similar.

• Options

Welcome to the forum, @amosdmorse!

I'll let some of the bigger Torano fans around here chime in with the recommendations, but finding a similar cigar can be hit or miss.

• Options

Thanks. Looking forward to trying some new cigars and listening to what people have to to say.

• Options
    CommanderDuke1_CommanderDuke1_ Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome @amosdmorse

• Options
    BlueMan0BlueMan0 Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

Welcome aboard @amosdmorse

• Options
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, I was over here looking for @2guys1cup, since he plans on sticking around. I also searched the whatcha smoking tonight for his partagas white post. You know, since he's gonna stick around.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

User not found....strange....maybe check with the welcoming committee.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    TwoGuys1AshtrayTwoGuys1Ashtray Posts: 18
    edited November 2020

Hey all

New here.

My daily smoke is usually a RP Decade. Unless the wife’s on me to do something. Then its a Short Story.

Favorite cutter. Is the v-cut

Live in Phoenix the area. Usual cigar bar is my backyard, Fox cigar bar or Maduros for me.

I’ve also gotten into pipes lately. It’s good for a quick smoke. But takes a little bit more effort

If anyone has any good tips on keeping my humidor good let me know. My travel one is always great. But I’ve had a few wood ones over the years and they’ve never worked out for me. Looking for any tips

Thanks
    Scott

• Options

Found my answer on the forum about the humidor. It’s everything I’ve had problems with. Looks like I’ll just stick with my travel one and the Tupperware one

• Options

Nice to see ya @TwoGuys1Ashtray, I did 5 years in Phoenix in the mid 80s.

• Options

Thanks. I bet its changed a lot since then. I’ve only been here 7 and it’s completely changed around me. A lot of Californians fleeing here

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, them Californians like to move elsewhere and ruin their new states.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

Do the grocery stores still have signs asking you to check your firearms? Not that you had too, they just ask. Bet that would freak out the cali's.

• Options

Yeah. Grocery stores and some restaurants The statistic is that at our Target store 60 percent carry concealed

• Options

Open carry was very common back then.

• Options
    CommanderDuke1_CommanderDuke1_ Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Thanks

• Options

Welcome Scott @TwoGuys1Ashtray.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

Welcome @TwoGuys1Ashtray , as you've seen, it takes some thick skin to hang out here, but it'll all work out fine if you're for real. We're not actually as cranky as we seem at first. Well, usually.

Regarding wooden humidors, I have two. Identical, Southport was the name, I think. Bought them from CCOM. What has worked for me is this: These are 100 count humidors, so, 75 realistically. 3 wells and a top tray. In each of the wells I put a "black ice" jar, keep the beads at level, and also a 60 gram Boveda, 69%. Also a 69% Boveda pack in the top tray. That's 4 total.

This may seem like overkill, but it works for me. Add distilled water to the bead jars as needed, they release moisture, the Bovedas regulate the % of humidity. I only need to replace the Bovedas about once a year doing it this way, and the rH usually stays about 65 - 67. This is where I keep cigars I will smoke "soon", meaning within a month or two. New purchases go in the 75 quart cooler until the wooden ones start getting low.

I used to use two coolers, but I've cut back.

Hang around, have fun.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain