Home General Discussion
Options

THE NEWBIE WELCOMING THREAD

Comments

• Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    nickiam:
    Hello Hello everyone, This is my first time posting. Ive been enjoying cigars for about a year now. My tastes have been slowly changing and i find myself more and more choosing not to smoke infused even though i do occasionally enjoy one still. Im up to keeping about 80-90 sticks in the humidor. Some of my current favorites are: Kristoff Maduro Alec Bradley Black Market and Prensado Acid Opulence 3 La Aroma Di Cuba Mi Amor My uzi weighs a ton Liga Privada Undercrown and No. 9 Drew Estate Natural Dirt Tatuaje el Trunfador I look forward to learning from everyone and reading up. Im also up for any recommendations based on my short list above. Thanks
    Welcome Nicklam! Looks like you have found some nice sticks so far!
  • Options
    carsontlcarsontl Posts: 6
    Hey Everyone!

I'm a cigar newbie and just recently grabbed the 10 pack of acid cigars with humidor box and humidor.

I just got the package in the mail and I honestly don't know what to do from here.

1. Do I unpack the plastic from all 10 cigars and leave them in the box with the humidor?

2. Do I need to put water in the little circular humidor contraption?

I'm trying to get into cigars, love the ones that I've had from friends.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Tom
  • Options
    marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    You have to season the humidor brother. Just leave the cigars in the bag they came in with the water pillow if it has one. The season the humi with distilled water. Basically, put a shallow dish of distilled water in the humi and close it up for a week to ten days.

Welcome to the forums by the way.
  • Options
    sounds good, i'm off to the store to get some distilled water. do i leave the cigars in there with the dish as well in the mean time?

thanks for making me feel welcome!
  • Options
    No, just keep them in the bag they came in, or put them in a tupperware container with the water pillow until the humi is seasoned. Does the new humi have a hygrometer? If not, you will want to invest in one, preferably digital. And they need to be calibrated, which is easy, but a whole nother bowl of wax.
  • Options
    not sure what a water pillow is, i don't think it came with one.

I have 10 x plastic wrapped acid kuba kuba's
    1 x humidifer
    1 x cutter
    1 x box
  • Options
    Then it didn't come with one. Just put them in a ziploc or tupperware container, can even put some distilled water in the humidifier and throw that in with them for now while the humi is being seasoned. And invest in a digital hygrometer, it will give you peace of mind for the long term.
  • Options
    That will do it, I have one of those. Just read up on the salt calibration test, easy to do and it will get you squared away.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeppers, that is a decent one. Follow the destructions for calibrating it and you should be good to go.

Are Kuba kuba's infused? If they are, you may not want to put non-infused cigars in with them.
    Oh yeah, welcome to the forum.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    being a noobie i honestly don't know if they are or aren't haha... they are quite formidable in smell... smells like awesome!
  • Options
    Kuba Kuba's are infused and not something you want to store with non-infused sticks
  • Options
    understood.

they aren't with any other cigars so no worries there.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    carsontl:
    understood. they aren't with any other cigars so no worries there.
    If you hang around here long enough, there will be. So be aware that infused (aromatics) and non-infused don't play well together. So if you are planning on getting into this too much and plan on having both, you're gonna want another humi.
    Check your PM for info on a reasonable deal on a humi.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    SmokindaddySmokindaddy Posts: 1,107
    Bump for the noobs
  • Options
    nickiamnickiam Posts: 608 ✭✭
    THANKS!!!!

Everyone here sure knows how to make a NOOB feel welcome

Except for you jliu, You have sketchy written all over you.

Im watching you.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hola Fellas, Forum virgin here! Be gentle....I just added my sticks after seasoning my humidor and receiving my digital hygrometer. I found a local B&M and spent some time in his walk-in humidor! Lovely! The smell was awesome and I picked some up for my brother and myself. Yum. Love reading the posts and find the comraderie very uplifting. My wife isn't crazy about this new hobby but it's better than chewing...that I used to do..Lol...thanks for having me!
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    nickiam:
    THANKS!!!!

Everyone here sure knows how to make a NOOB feel welcome

Except for you jliu, You have sketchy written all over you.

Im watching you.
    Hi Nick. Welcome to the forums. I would like to personally extend out my hand and shake yours. At CCOM you will find many great guys. I am a great guy. ok?
  • Options
    Bigshizza:
    Hola Fellas, Forum virgin here! Be gentle....I just added my sticks after seasoning my humidor and receiving my digital hygrometer. I found a local B&M and spent some time in his walk-in humidor! Lovely! The smell was awesome and I picked some up for my brother and myself. Yum. Love reading the posts and find the comraderie very uplifting. My wife isn't crazy about this new hobby but it's better than chewing...that I used to do..Lol...thanks for having me!
    Another Washington person. are you friends with Nick? I shake your hand too
  • Options
    Welcome to Nick and Bigs! Jump in and have some fun.
  • Options
    Smokindaddy:
    please describe fun smokingdaddy
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's all fun until the tests come back positive... :)
  • Options
    jliu:
    Smokindaddy:
    Fun is going to take place if Dustin and I can make up to Herf soon!!!
  • Options
    Smokindaddy:
    jliu:
    Smokindaddy:
    Fun is going to take place if Dustin and I can make up to Herf soon!!!
    that would be correct. quoting the great game of NBA Jams. boooooom shakalakaaa
  • Options
    MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome newbs!!!
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    MVW67:
    Welcome newbs!!!

^^^^^this!!
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome new guys! Feel free to put some info about which cigars you like and ones you would like to try in the future in your bio (click on your name on the top of the screen). It gives me a better idea of what I should bomb you with, not that I would ever take advantage of the fresh fish!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Welcome all new guys.. I haven't been around in a while so I am sure there are many brothers ans sisters that I have yet to share some time here with. I look forward to that.
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Kaspera
  • Options
    Hey thanks for the warm welcome. I just got back from canada. So yeah no cell reception up there. I just ordered a sampler pack with a humidor for 30 bucks. Guess it cant hurt to have an extra one to fill up. As for the smoke and whiskey sorry i missed the last one i would like to attend the next for sure. I will grt with trident as to when and where it will be.