Home General Discussion
Options

THE NEWBIE WELCOMING THREAD

Comments

• Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Hi! Not exactly a total newbie (I did post one a few weeks ago), but this is my formal 'coming out' here.

Approaching midlife, I've decided to become a cigar hobbyist. Oh, I had smoked before, but not for many years and only at social events when some guy hadn't them out. Maybe I had smoked 10-20 in my whole life.

Anyway, I got into this in full cognitive dissonance mode. I know that smoking in general is bad for me (several friends and family members have died of lung cancer), and that even cigar smoking can't be good if you have all those burning chemicals rolling around your mouth, but I rationalize by saying that if I smoke only one cigar a week I may be lessening the odds.

Anyway, I know very little about cigars and am starting my journey by getting sampler kits from Cigar.com and The Other Big Cigar Company. Even though I'm sure I'm probably cutting, lighting, and drawing wrong, I think I've come to some general conclusions after going through around 20 different cigars so far.

1. I tend to favor full-bodied cigars that produce lots of smoke. So far, my favs have been Joya Nicaragua Antono, 5 Vegas Cask Strength, CAO Gold Maduro, Morrow Castle, and G2 Turbo.

2. I really prefer darker, oilier wrappers over Connecticut wrappers.

3. Some of the "highly rated" cigars do nothing for me. I hated the Cohiba Red Dot. The Padilla Miami, Cain Daytona and Ave Maria that came with my samplers were okay but nothing special. Even the Alec Bradley Prensado, while quite nice, wasn't nearly on the same tier as my 'favorites.'

4. I think I prefer Nicaraguan tobacco over other kinds, and probably have more of an affinity for the AJ Fernandez productions I've tried.

Of coure, all of this may change as I go through the next set of cigars, those in the 'Cigar Journal Top 25' sampler and the 'Alec Bradley sampler' kit.

Cheers!

Jeff in the Boston area
  • Options
    IONTCIONTC Posts: 172
    Welcome to the forums Raisindot, I think you'll find it very welcoming here!
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Jeff, welcome to the forum! It sounds like you are doing the right thing and just trying a large variety of cigars. If "The Other Big Cigar Company" starts with a "T", I would do yourself a favor and never go back. Trust us when we tell you that Cigar.com will take MUCH better care of you. We aren't just promoting the host site, they really are that good. And the "T" site is really that bad. Anyways, welcome, look around, make yourself at home, and don't hesitate to participate in the discussions.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Jeff, Hope you enjoy the Forums. There are terrific BOTL here to help you on your journey....alot of knowledge and insight!
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff, welcome! Sounds like you're off to a good start so keep on what you're doin, stick around for a while and soak up all the knowledge these forums have to offer.
    Read through the forums and you'll find "answers" to questions you never would have thought of.

Glad to have you!

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Jiffy Jeffery, you sir have a PM!!!!!!
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    MVW67:
    It's a trap!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    SleevePlz:
    MVW67:
    It's a trap!
    Quiet shhhh Tony!
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    MVW67:
    SleevePlz:
    MVW67:
    It's a trap!
    Quiet shhhh Tony!
    hey Jeff. Give him his own addy. I have it. PM me
  • Options
    jliu:
    MVW67:
    SleevePlz:
    MVW67:
    It's a trap!
    Quiet shhhh Tony!
    hey Jeff. Give him his own addy. I have it. PM me
    Mind your own business, fill that list yet??
  • Options
    nickiamnickiam Posts: 608 ✭✭
    MVW67:

NOOOOOOO! Save yourself! RUN!
  • Options
    marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    Don't worry, Mike won't hurt you. Now excuse me while I go get fitted for a prosthesis and change my colostomy bag.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Bump
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think Mike skeered him away? Looks like a 1 hit wonder.
    If they ain't participating, they're missing out.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the newbies. Who you are.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    insomnniapbinsomnniapb Posts: 590
    Hey everyone, I'm David. I'm new to the world of cigars and the forums. I just got my first humidor seasoned and ready to go. I have already browsed the forums and found tons of information to help me on my way. I would like to thank everyone for the information amassed on this forum. Here's to new friends and good times! o/
  • Options
    Hi David welcome to the forums!! It's a fun time here!! You have a pm
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi David! Welcome..pm to ya
  • Options
    marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    insomnniapb:
    Hey everyone, I'm David. I'm new to the world of cigars and the forums. I just got my first humidor seasoned and ready to go. I have already browsed the forums and found tons of information to help me on my way. I would like to thank everyone for the information amassed on this forum. Here's to new friends and good times! o/
    Another Ohio-an, welcome David. And if you answer those pm's, well......duck hard!
  • Options
    IONTCIONTC Posts: 172
    Welcome david!
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Hey there, My name's Jim. Have lurked here occasionally for a little while, but now that the boss...er...wife... has approved of a humidor for the house, decided become more active. Currently picking it out, but I am giddy as a schoolboy. Currently, I just smoke once or twice a week grabbing from my local B&M, and am looking forward to being able to age some, and even more so to keep my favorites on hand for sharing with friends. I tend to favor med-full to full flavor smokes, my favorites being LP Undercrown, LP #9, and Four Kicks. The wife loves the La Aroma De Cuba Mi Amors (and I rather like them too). When I am not smoking, I usually am at work, currently as an app developer, but I seem to bounce around the IT fields every few months. My other vice/passion is whiskies of all kinds. So...yeah....nice to meet you all.
  • Options
    Welcome newbs, and strap your self in!!
  • Options
    Nice to meet you Jim..I'm Jim as well and so are a few others on here. Read up, ask questions, lots of real knowledgeable people here. It will be apparent soon enough that generosity is their middle name!!
  • Options
    reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    hi all, my names rich, and im new to the cigar world, been cruisin around on the forum for a few months now, i have learned alot! i have posted a few times already and have had my questions answered, and have been made to feel welcome! i feel i can relax here on the forum just as i can relax with a good cigar!!
  • Options
    Welcome Jim and rich!! Now pm me your addys!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Yeah!! Me too!!! Hmmmmm
  • Options
    reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    i just got to thinkin.......the pm me your address, may be a bad thing? since ive been asked four times! is this normal??
  • Options
    reggie713:
    i just got to thinkin.......the pm me your address, may be a bad thing? since ive been asked four times! is this normal??
    I just add to a list, don't know what them other Borks want! LOL I am harmless!
  • Options
    RobIsSweetRobIsSweet Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
    reggie713:
    hi all, my names rich, and im new to the cigar world, been cruisin around on the forum for a few months now, i have learned alot! i have posted a few times already and have had my questions answered, and have been made to feel welcome! i feel i can relax here on the forum just as i can relax with a good cigar!!
    welcome rich I am also new! these forums are a great place to be :D