Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Fish Nuggets....aka Catfish's reviews

Comments

• Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Lol! I know...I was at a private tasting event so taking pics was not easy really...
  • Options
    bigfnstevebigfnsteve Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Lol! I know...I was at a private tasting event so taking pics was not easy really...
    Private? Geez such an elitest lately
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    bigfnsteve:
    catfishbluezz:
    such an elitest. it's like I don't even know you anymore. you and your fancy June dog
  • Options
    jliu:
    bigfnsteve:
    catfishbluezz:
    such an elitest. it's like I don't even know you anymore. you and your fancy June dog
    Don't hate on the pup.... And yeah, you'd be surprised how many people don't know *** about cigars that a noob like me gets mad respect at the shop lol
  • Options
    To lazy to write a full review. 1st third dark fruit and marked sweetness, little cocoa powder in there and a very wet smoke, excellent draw and burn. Second third the fruit mellowed and a light spice picked up with cedar notes and the smoke dried out a bit on my palette. Final third the spice and cocoa and cedar are still there. The entire smoke has been nice and creamy IMO and would pair well with a creamy coffee drink late afternoon or dessert.

Looking at the makeup, the wrapper is ecudorian rosado and the binder is conny broadleaf. You can definitely pick up the sweet and spicy combo from these two leafs. Combined with NC and HC filler, I have a hunch this cigar will age extremely well and it is the best CAO I've had. I am going to try the other vitolas to find the best, then buy some to rest. Mine is the roadie 5.5x54 so I'm curious to see what the 44 and 50 gauges end up like. Excellent smoke gents. Foot pic for twisted stem lol image
  • Options
    marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    Just looked them up on ccom, the price point is not bad at all. May have to snag a couple.
  • Options
    marineatbn03:
    Just looked them up on ccom, the price point is not bad at all. May have to snag a couple.
    i am very impressed with the quality of the finish for the price bro. This one is 3 days off the truck new release too. I will be burying some for sure, it's the best CAO in that regard. I judge cigars these days mostly on the complexity of the finish nowadays and you don't find them this cheap with high quality tobacoo.
  • Options
    marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    True, I have had a few cigars start nice but lose everything halfway through, I enjoy some consistancy. I mean I like the changes a stck goes through, but not when it just seems to lose everything towards the end. Like a good movie that turns out to have no point.
  • Options
    NeleneaNelenea Posts: 90
    Man, that cigar in catfish's pic looks 3 feet long. Or at least 3 of his nub feet.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nelenea:
    Man, that cigar in catfish's pic looks 3 feet long. Or at least 3 of his nub feet.
    Clean those toes next time before you take a pic, please. ;) I will be looking for those smokes, I wondered how they would be.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    Tonight....I got my mind blown.... Enter, the Curivari Reserva Limitada 4000....little back story for ya. My favorite B&M is about 1.5 hours away and everytime I go there I walk out broke and finding cool weird smokes buried in the corner somewhere.... I spotted this smoke...simply by the wrapper as it looked like dark caramel with the onset of plume...pure bliss and grabbed it, and the owner whom i trust and trade with told me I was in for a treat.

Fast forward to tonight, allergies killing my nose, dry and nasty, and I'm at Vinny's house and the cat is driving my nose crazy. For some reason I grabbed it instead of the Monte 2 I planned on smoking. Unfortunately, I do not have great pics as it was low light in his garage....and I honestly was enjoying it too much after smoked tri tip.

From the first puff, I got that floral taste that reminded me of Cuba. It's kind of like Mom's cooking...you know it when you taste it. Put the monte band on, could've fooled me honestly. What followed was a floral type perfume flavor, with a sweetness that reminded me of Mango, and a hint of roasted coffee or toffee for that matter. Oddly enough, when I looked it up on their website, as I had no clue what line this was, it mentioned berries....and I would tend to agree. First third is nothing short of amazing....with perfect burn and construction.

Second third the roasted flavors started picking up, nuts and coffee with little sweetness. This cigar is very consistent here and the sweet spot stayed true to the flora, nuts, and roasted flavors. Still...amazing...ask Vinny I would not shut up about the damn thing and was amazed.

Final third...nuts and wood are coming on strong, no not a ****, but something more like oak paired with a musk that reminded me of Avo, but much less prominent. The finish is perfect, no heat, no bitterness, and the retrohale was fantastic even with the burnt out allergy meds nose. Cinnamon, nuts, and the roasted coffee were alive and well to the nub... This is a fantastic cigar, and I will be buying more...Monday.

I would be intersted to see if the floral note was just me. I sent one of these to Bandy, and Jason has one too. To me, this reminded me of a Cuban cigar moreso then many Cubans I have had. the price point is excellent too at about $85 for a box of ten. I'd easily pay that for a box, and will. I have another that was gifted to me from Stowggie that is a different blend. That one will go up the second my nose is back to normal. I wish I had better pics, but I was busy enjoying one of the finer smokes I've had in a while. image
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    catfishbluezz:
    Tonight....I got my mind blown.... Enter, the Curivari Reserva Limitada 4000....little back story for ya. My favorite B&M is about 1.5 hours away and everytime I go there I walk out broke and finding cool weird smokes buried in the corner somewhere.... I spotted this smoke...simply by the wrapper as it looked like dark caramel with the onset of plume...pure bliss and grabbed it, and the owner whom i trust and trade with told me I was in for a treat.

Fast forward to tonight, allergies killing my nose, dry and nasty, and I'm at Vinny's house and the cat is driving my nose crazy. For some reason I grabbed it instead of the Monte 2 I planned on smoking. Unfortunately, I do not have great pics as it was low light in his garage....and I honestly was enjoying it too much after smoked tri tip.

From the first puff, I got that floral taste that reminded me of Cuba. It's kind of like Mom's cooking...you know it when you taste it. Put the monte band on, could've fooled me honestly. What followed was a floral type perfume flavor, with a sweetness that reminded me of Mango, and a hint of roasted coffee or toffee for that matter. Oddly enough, when I looked it up on their website, as I had no clue what line this was, it mentioned berries....and I would tend to agree. First third is nothing short of amazing....with perfect burn and construction.

Second third the roasted flavors started picking up, nuts and coffee with little sweetness. This cigar is very consistent here and the sweet spot stayed true to the flora, nuts, and roasted flavors. Still...amazing...ask Vinny I would not shut up about the damn thing and was amazed.

Final third...nuts and wood are coming on strong, no not a ****, but something more like oak paired with a musk that reminded me of Avo, but much less prominent. The finish is perfect, no heat, no bitterness, and the retrohale was fantastic even with the burnt out allergy meds nose. Cinnamon, nuts, and the roasted coffee were alive and well to the nub... This is a fantastic cigar, and I will be buying more...Monday.

I would be intersted to see if the floral note was just me. I sent one of these to Bandy, and Jason has one too. To me, this reminded me of a Cuban cigar moreso then many Cubans I have had. the price point is excellent too at about $85 for a box of ten. I'd easily pay that for a box, and will. I have another that was gifted to me from Stowggie that is a different blend. That one will go up the second my nose is back to normal. I wish I had better pics, but I was busy enjoying one of the finer smokes I've had in a while. image
    Sounds epic man..jealous.
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Rain:
    catfishbluezz:
    catfishbluezz:

Sounds epic man..jealous.
    Thanks for putting this up, it looks like I'm in for something special when I burn mine.
  • Options
    No problem, there are some fine NC cigars coming out right now, this is one. I'm almost through my second box of 10. This is the type of cigar that gives ISOM a run for its money IMO. They do need age though, as the first box was excellent but the second needed some rest.
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Interesting...I need to smoke one. Thanks for the review Dustin!
    catfishbluezz:
    No problem, there are some fine NC cigars coming out right now, this is one. I'm almost through my second box of 10. This is the type of cigar that gives ISOM a run for its money IMO. They do need age though, as the first box was excellent but the second needed some rest.
  • Options
    rzaman:
    catfishbluezz:
    ill send you one if you want, love them Rip.
  • Options
    That would be nice, thanks Dustin. Also a Gurkha cellar reserve. I will send you a PM tonight.
  • Options
    rzaman:
    That would be nice, thanks Dustin. Also a Gurkha cellar reserve. I will send you a PM tonight.
    not a problem. Have you ha a domus Magnus or Oktoberfest yet?
  • Options
    It's funny I'm reading this review now after gojg through a couple boxes and it is still spot on IMO. Makes me proud I was able to write that a while back. I think I might have grasped a bit, but the first third is as I remember and the 2nd change is too lol. Curivari rocks for the $$$
  • Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Great reviews.I have delayed on buying a few 10ct boxes of the Curivaris just because we've been paying down a few bills and I'm not feeling like getting shut off for extended weeks at a time. Seems word is catching on about the Curivaris and I may regret it, because sites I saw that had boxes of every type are down to a few boxes of only a few different lines. Hopefully they get more in stock and these are a bit more available in the future.
  • Options
    blurr:
    Great reviews.I have delayed on buying a few 10ct boxes of the Curivaris just because we've been paying down a few bills and I'm not feeling like getting shut off for extended weeks at a time. Seems word is catching on about the Curivaris and I may regret it, because sites I saw that had boxes of every type are down to a few boxes of only a few different lines. Hopefully they get more in stock and these are a bit more available in the future.
    I personally feel the aging potential of this stick is as good as any ISOM I have smoked. Granted, that's my opinion, but I have had plenty of ISOM that couldn't hold a candle. Stock levels got funky there for a bit, and the new stock needs some time down. IMO, I feel dropping a box for 2-3 years would result in a mind blowing cigar.
  • Options
    stadstad Posts: 396 ✭✭
    rzaman:
    catfishbluezz:
    This has become one of my favorite cigars. Dustin hit this right on the head. Well done man. Rip, if you haven't tried this line I highly recommend it to you. I'd love to see you review it. I suggest smoking it while in your garden as the note are floral, coffee and to me, tea and perhaps berries. A truly great cigar.
  • Options
    stad:
    rzaman:
    catfishbluezz:
    This has become one of my favorite cigars. Dustin hit this right on the head. Well done man. Rip, if you haven't tried this line I highly recommend it to you. I'd love to see you review it. I suggest smoking it while in your garden as the note are floral, coffee and to me, tea and perhaps berries. A truly great cigar.
    oh......Rip will be trying it soon ;)
  • Options
    stadstad Posts: 396 ✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    stad:
    rzaman:
    catfishbluezz:
    HA! I read that after I posted this.What ISOM's are you digging on right now?
  • Options
    stad:
    catfishbluezz:
    stad:
    rzaman:
    catfishbluezz:
    HA! I read that after I posted this.What ISOM's are you digging on right now?
    anything h upmann with 5 years or more, diplomaticos with 5, party shorts, don Alejandro, bolivar PC, RAEL11, and RASS with 3-5.
  • Options
    I like the tea flavor in any cigar. usually some Costa Rican tobacco releases tea flavor and one hybrid tobacco(with costar Rican seeds) from Esteli has that tea flavor. If you find tea flavor that also comes with creamy milk chocolate-vanilla flavors. Did you find that as well? This is the reason I love La Palina Little Bill, Limited Edition 1896 and Graycliff Double Espresso. It seems like a great smoke. Well, If Dustin send me one then I will review it for you.
    stad:
    rzaman:
    catfishbluezz:
  • Options
    rzaman:
    I like the tea flavor in any cigar. usually some Costa Rican tobacco releases tea flavor and one hybrid tobacco(with costar Rican seeds) from Esteli has that tea flavor. If you find tea flavor that also comes with creamy milk chocolate-vanilla flavors. Did you find that as well? This is the reason I love La Palina Little Bill, Limited Edition 1896 and Graycliff Double Espresso. It seems like a great smoke. Well, If Dustin send me one then I will review it for you.
    stad:
    rzaman:
    catfishbluezz:
    There is one in there Rip, and it's been resting for at least 6 months so I'd let it sit two weeks when you get it and I'd love to hear your thoughts.
  • Options
    Bump...I'll be posting links to my reviews here in the near future. 100 Anos Maduro is coming up, along with a pancaked habanos review of the Montecristo Edmundo.
  • Options
    Well gents, if you did not know Rob and Logan have moved into full blown madness mode at reworking CigarFederation for CigarChat, Half Ashed, reviews, news releases, and tons of other info to grow the community. As a result, I have started posting my reviews there and will post weekly blogs with my reviews at cfed, while featuring specific cigars and reviews as needed. So I bumped this thread as I will be posting links and pictures here to so you guys can see them.

My first review posted is a concept I came up with and ran by a couple guys here and friends that collect. The idea is to take two cigars, that are significantly different with age, and do a pancaked review side by side to compare and contrast the changes that take place over time. My goal is to do this with Habanos to really detect the major difference in profile that change over significant periods of time. I am also going to do this with NC's as well when I can find and legitimately verify age on two smokes. It does propose a problem at getting not only an aged gem, but then verifying a ROTT smoke as well. Either way, I will concentrate on Habanos specifically to help educate myself and newer Habanos smokers as to the changes that take place over time. most of us wonder how much different a new Monte is versus an aged one, well...here it is....
    ClickyClickySmokeyMonte

• Options
    BTW...I do want to say thanks to the guys who helped me with this, by taking time out to read them and give me your opinions for formatting once I was done. I really appreciate it guys, you know who you are, and I want to do this as much as possible going forward.