Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Fish Nuggets....aka Catfish's reviews

Comments

• Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Very nicely done Dustin. I enjoyed the comparison. It is ovious aging make a huge difference. Congrats!!!
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    Very nicely done Dustin. I enjoyed the comparison. It is obvious aging make a huge difference. Congrats!!!
    Thanks Rip, I plan on digging deep into this subject to document the changes. My next one will be Upmann.
  • Options
    ImgemboImgembo Posts: 661 ✭✭
    Great review. Looking foward to when you do a nc comparison.i need to start acquiring some isom but I lack the storage space to let them rest properly ( running on a 40 cr humi and a very small cooler). Sounds like I would enjoy a young monte more than the aged one.
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Great concept, keep it up! I've been curious about the changes due to aging but where people come back to certain sticks years later i always wonder how much is a change in preference/taste and how much is the stick (realizing the answer is always at least some of both). This helps answer that. Looking forward to the Upmann review, I've only had a couple NC Upmanns but really enjoyed them.
  • Options
    perkinke:
    Great concept, keep it up! I've been curious about the changes due to aging but where people come back to certain sticks years later i always wonder how much is a change in preference/taste and how much is the stick (realizing the answer is always at least some of both). This helps answer that. Looking forward to the Upmann review, I've only had a couple NC Upmanns but really enjoyed them.
    the upmann will be isom. The problem with doing this with NC, is they don't date boxes, so it will be very hard for me to find sticks in that veign I can accurately compare. The one that comes to mind, is Oliva MB2 versus MB3 as I have them both. Otherwise, I can only do it if I find box dates.

Honestly, I really think there is a lot of interest from newer isom smokers with what changes take place and what the benefit of age really is. I really liked both of these for different reasons really. But I don't have tons of aging boxes with 5-6 years on them so its hard for me to discern what to buy. I figure this will a lead give some people a snap shot of brand profiles, changes, and whether or not to age specific blends.
  • Options
    Imgembo:
    Great review. Looking foward to when you do a nc comparison.i need to start acquiring some isom but I lack the storage space to let them rest properly ( running on a 40 cr humi and a very small cooler). Sounds like I would enjoy a young monte more than the aged one.
    man... The aged monte has become a benchmark for me. It was an unreal smoke. However, I had a few edmundo and petite edmundo recently and fresh they are amazing. It would be hard to age those bad boys....
  • Options
    ImgemboImgembo Posts: 661 ✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Imgembo:
    man... The aged monte has become a benchmark for me. It was an unreal smoke. However, I had a few edmundo and petite edmundo recently and fresh they are amazing. It would be hard to age those bad boys....
    Good to hear about the Petite edmundo this was reccomended to me by rzman sometime ago . That is on my short list to try along with some offerings from Trinidad. I also want to try some stuff curivari ( thanks for the review on the Lmt 4000 btw). I have a short list of must haves right now and i cant wait until i can start making that list shorter hopefully in the near future. Unfortunately a larger Humidor is also on that list.
  • Options
    curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    Just caught up to this. A fine job as always my man !
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • Options
    Imgembo:
    catfishbluezz:
    Imgembo:
    Good to hear about the Petite edmundo this was reccomended to me by rzman sometime ago . That is on my short list to try along with some offerings from Trinidad. I also want to try some stuff curivari ( thanks for the review on the Lmt 4000 btw). I have a short list of must haves right now and i cant wait until i can start making that list shorter hopefully in the near future. Unfortunately a larger Humidor is also on that list.
    the 4000 is the best, and the birnventura is excellent as well. I've bought boxes of both. The petite edmundo rules as well.
  • Options
    curtpick:
    Just caught up to this. A fine job as always my man !
    thank you Curt
  • Options
    Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    Great reviews Dustin. LOVE the format!
  • Options
    Steve2010:
    Great reviews Dustin. LOVE the format!
    That was the one you sent me Steve. The review style is fun, but the hard part is finding both an aged and ROTT example. Thanks again, I have a box on the way and a petite box is next.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    This is a great idea! Plus an amazing excuse to smoke cigars.
  • Options
    Rain:
    This is a great idea! Plus an amazing excuse to smoke cigars.
    I do need to put down I smoked them a month apart or so. I did not realize that detail until you mentioned it.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I was 99% sure you were not having them back to back...but I had to ask!
  • Options
    Chapter Three of my ongoing reviews of the pairing of coffee and conny cigars. AKA, San Latano conny lancero, and Room 101 all made appearances on this go around. Check it out, and any recommendations are welcomed guys. I love me some conny's lol....
    Click here for Conny Love

• Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Chapter Three of my ongoing reviews of the pairing of coffee and conny cigars. AKA, San Latano conny lancero, and Room 101 all made appearances on this go around. Check it out, and any recommendations are welcomed guys. I love me some conny's lol....
    Click here for Conny Love

I'm very jealous of your coffee's and connies! Great write ups! Makes me wish I had both right now!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Sometimes, a review sets a benchmark for ya. This was one of those cases, as this cigar had one of the longest developing finishes I have ever experienced hands down...
    Gooey Maduro Goodness of the Gods

• Options
    For all the mild-med fans out there, this was a nice surprise. I thought this smoke was pretty damn good. Check it out image
  • Options
    Well, so far I haven't liked any La Palina... That changed with this cigar and I fell in love with it honestly. I find it funny at times that people can not like a certain blender and write them off. I have learned over the years always try everything you can from everyone at least twice, you never know when you'll find a gem. This was an excellent smoke IMO, Click here to Check It Out
  • Options
  • Options
    Hey guys, I'd like to get your honest feedback on this subject. You can reply here, or at CFed. Let me know what you think-click here
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    As a consumer I'd prefer to know issues you encountered, but I liked one of the commenters suggestion of contacting the company privately at first to see how they handled it and then either toss or complete the review based on that.

As for the taste even if you don't like it so long as it is an accurate review I don't see a problem with reporting what you tasted and then attaching a personal note stating your preference.

In the end so long as you are being fair and not insulting to anyone I don't see a problem reporting the good and bad, if I were selling a product I'd want to know if there were problems that were in need of fixing or if there is a flavor profile I might be missing out on. Just my $0.02.
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Honestly, I would want you to tell me whats what with a cigar; like you do with us here or when we pm you with a question. I guess the tightrope that has to be walked is to be truthful without being disrespectful to the companies. To be fair, I will take a chance on a cigar if the reviewer says he liked the flavor but had problems with construction etc. Most are able to read between the lines so as long as you don't have an agenda, it should work out in the end.

I know which company you are talking about and I believe that is the category that would fit into. If you think you need to smoke a couple more cigars to give them a fighting chance then do so. If not then don't. Write your reviews with integrity and honor and you won't have anything to regret.
  • Options
    Actually Rob the company I am referring to is several. For instance, last night I had a cellar reserve blow up on me. This was one of my top 12 last year, and I've smoked dozens. Now if that was the one I was going to review, I might've bashed a good product and never found out I love it...hence my predicament. Another example is Regius, and I think Perkinke's suggestions fits this. I was reviewing the robo and the band pulled the wrapper up which led to explosion. Rather then post the review, I contacted the owner, and eve developed a great bond since, and I LOVE their stuff. Don't get me wrong, if I don't like something, I say it respectfully. But given the odd nature off cigars and environmental influence, I felt a discussion necessary to brainstorm with BOTL. And I will admit, Rob is correct in that I am a bit more honest here with you guys. That is based on my loyalty to this board and the familial bond of trust I have with you guys.
  • Options
  • Options
    I love the maduro londres size (and any of the other sizes) but have not tried those! Those small rg maduros do seem to pack a punch! I need to revisit the naturals...
  • Options
    The naturals are my favorites man... i will always love the natty londres, palma, and panetelas. I need more but ccom is out, so i went with the zino's on clearance lol
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    The naturals are my favorites man... i will always love the natty londres, palma, and panetelas. I need more but ccom is out, so i went with the zino's on clearance lol
    It seems like ccom has a hard time keeping the Padron's in stock. I also wish they sold larger bundles... I'll have to email someone when I want to order some! All of those pardon lines are such a good deal for fantastic cigars
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    catfishbluezz:
    It seems like ccom has a hard time keeping the Padron's in stock. I also wish they sold larger bundles... I'll have to email someone when I want to order some! All of those pardon lines are such a good deal for fantastic cigars
    they are not a dealer of Padron, so basically they get them sideways, which allows them to price under retail, while everyone else prices at retail. That's why they have such great pricing, and also why they have less stock. Alex commented on this some time ago. I always try and grab some when I see them in stock. You can't beat $3 a stick for the Londres.