Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Fish Nuggets....aka Catfish's reviews

Comments

• Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    If you are not familiar with these guys, you should be. George has a very distinct blending style that is not for everyone. Many Habanos fans love his medium stuff, and his style of blending is not about changes, but more about building layers of flavor without hitting the wallet. I like what he does with this blend, the La Fortalenza, as it is a straight medium maduro that very subtly builds into a rich profile. The classic and boutique lines are worth trying as well, specifically for those that like Dominican stuff. I will be honest, I think his appeal is to a specific type of smoker, but those that love his stuff, are adamant fans. Click here for the review. image
  • Options
    A while back I reviewed a Villigier and it was a pretty good stick. These guys were pipe tobacco and mini cigar producers that had been aimed at the Euro market. They jumped into the American market last year with this blend and their Colorado line. It's a pretty decent smoke and was a good experience. Click here for the review image
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Nice review! I agree with you when you say it is a profile cigar. This is cigar has very much the European taste- medium bodied, smoother with sweet-creamy profile. I like this kind of cigar as a after breakfast smoke. Thanks for sharing.
    catfishbluezz:
    A while back I reviewed a Villigier and it was a pretty good stick. These guys were pipe tobacco and mini cigar producers that had been aimed at the Euro market. They jumped into the American market last year with this blend and their Colorado line. It's a pretty decent smoke and was a good experience. Click here for the review image
  • Options
    Well gents, I tossed something together for my blog, click here for my random madness...Below is a picture of Akhil from Regius, myself, and Manuel Quesada. Thsi is after an all nighter, and rum tasting for breakfast with the madman from 1502....
  • Options
    Some of you saw my post about this last night. Hands down, box buy, new top 10 for this year, and Kelner hits a homerun with Chris the owner of Cabal. Unlike the Smoking Jacket that started mellow, this is a full bodied beast up front. I really think folks that like stuff like Punisher will appreciate this for the initial blast, but the finish is so clean and mellow habanos fans will dig it. These guys are making cigars that are very distinct and unlike any other company IMO. Chris with Cabal is Kelner's first customer. I highly recommend this cigar ,and they are very small production. Click here to read the review. image
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    great interview Catfish. You gotta work on the audio a bit. Hehe.
    Its' cool that you get to walk up to these guys and strike up an interview with minimal equipment and share it with us so fast.
  • Options
    Yeah man, everything was so off the cuff, it was a blast. The whole show was an adrenaline rush really, and we used little cameras or iPhones if we had to but the guys knew we were there with passion. I can't wait for next year really, and if I could just do reviews all day on a ll the great stuff I got I would.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Smoking Jacket sounds like a great cigar, do you think they going to be ridiculously HTF?
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Some of you saw my post about this last night. Hands down, box buy, new top 10 for this year, and Kelner hits a homerun with Chris the owner of Cabal. Unlike the Smoking Jacket that started mellow, this is a full bodied beast up front. I really think folks that like stuff like Punisher will appreciate this for the initial blast, but the finish is so clean and mellow habanos fans will dig it. These guys are making cigars that are very distinct and unlike any other company IMO. Chris with Cabal is Kelner's first customer. I highly recommend this cigar ,and they are very small production. Click here to read the review. image
    that's insane ash man, congrats. btw when will these be dropping? I need to try these, sounds good.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    Smoking Jacket sounds like a great cigar, do you think they going to be ridiculously HTF?
    75 stores, that's it. I can find one close to you if you need, but I'll just send you one first.
  • Options
    Squirrel, the Cabal is only hitting four stores in TX. In the review, you can contact the owner of the line. He's a good dude.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Ken Light:
    75 stores, that's it. I can find one close to you if you need, but I'll just send you one first.
    You really don't need to do that, if there's one in my area
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    catfishbluezz:
    Ken Light:
    You really don't need to do that, if there's one in my area
    shoot me your addy, I get back in a week
  • Options
    There was a lot of buzz around the show about this blend, being an American Puro, and having the Kentucky filler. This is definitely a different smoke, and I'd love to get Walt, JS, and Amos' thoughts as I think it has pipe elements to it.Click here for the reviewimage
  • Options
    I managed to get my hand on one of these for review at IPCPR. Literally, there was one box of 10 there... It was fantastic, and easily one of the best Nica cigars ever produced. IMO, these guys can easily compete with Habanos. Click here for the reviewimage
  • Options
    jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    Love your roach clip
  • Options
    jadelt:
    Love your roach clip
    It's a Havanasaver, they rock man. I friggin use it all the time. And a little hint, if it's in the review...I probably really liked hte cigar
  • Options
    When i was at the show, I stumbled upon a manufacturer, Brun Del Re, from Costa Rica that caught my eye. The owner ofthe company gave me several samples to review, the Colonial was one. This was an awesome smoke really, and if any of you see this brand in your stores, I'd highly recommend checking them out. The Brun Del Re line has got great ratings from Cigar Journal and I can see why. Click here for Brun Del Re Colonial review
  • Options
    I hate it when a new blender blows me away and I HAVE to buy boxes of his stuff. My Lord this one was my favorite so far of the Kelner Jr stuff guys. Click Here image
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Dang it Catfish. Great review. Those sound like a winner. Are they only going to be at B&M's?
  • Options
    Roberto99:
    Dang it Catfish. Great review. Those sound like a winner. Are they only going to be at B&M's?
    yes, shop only for all KBF cigars as they are very small batch. It's a box buy for me, and as soon as I procure a connection, I'll pass it along. I'm working with a guy in Texas now. Put it to you this way... I sold habanos to buy a box. Granted, I wouldn't have done that if I ha the money, but I want a box to age before they run out.
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Very nice review Dustin...thanks!
    catfishbluezz:
    I hate it when a new blender blows me away and I HAVE to buy boxes of his stuff. My Lord this one was my favorite so far of the Kelner Jr stuff guys. Click Here image
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    catfishbluezz:
    Roberto99:
    yes, shop only for all KBF cigars as they are very small batch. It's a box buy for me, and as soon as I procure a connection, I'll pass it along. I'm working with a guy in Texas now. Put it to you this way... I sold habanos to buy a box. Granted, I wouldn't have done that if I ha the money, but I want a box to age before they run out.
    When you find a good source for em, holler at me. I may need to break my no purchase streak for these...
  • Options
    Found this guy in my pile dedicated to reviews and gave it a whirl. Nica fans and pepper fans may enjoy this guy.Click Here for the reviewimage
  • Options
    I've been smoking a ton of mini's lately, and rather enjoy them. Check out my writeup of several out there, if tehre is enough interest, I'll do this again.mini madnessimage
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    So, how does the AVO Purito compare to the Presto? Since you smoke them regularly, I assume you like them, but I couldn't tell from the review if you liked the presto more, less, or about the same.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    The presto is much better really, but the purito is $3.50 less so my wallet says purito lol
  • Options
    Hey guys, I got to take part in reviews for a vendor recently, so I chose a brand that is not very well known from ISOM. This is a fantastic smoke IMO. Click Hereimage
  • Options
    Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    Nice review C-fish. I was at my local B&M last week enjoying a stick and was gifted a Juan Lopez Nicaraguan by a rep who was there. Based on your review of the ISOM I am looking forward to trying it but I'm going to wait a while so it can collect some humi time. A couple of the other guys there fired up theirs and mentioned the stick was a bit green but with some resting would be quite good.