Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Fish Nuggets....aka Catfish's reviews

Comments

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Hey guys, I'd like to get your honest feedback on this subject. You can reply here,
    Good, bad, or indifferent I want to know how the cigar was. There's soo many brands out there, and more and more new ones coming out each week I don't have the time or $$ to try them all.

When looking for new brands (especially on the more $$$ brands) I'll browse forums, review sites, etc., and talk to the shop owner to see if there's a general consensus on how that cigar is.

If I find more + than -, I'll give it a shot.
    But if a majority of people have problems with it, then move on. Try something else.

perkinke:
    As a consumer I'd prefer to know issues you encountered, but I liked one of the commenters suggestion of contacting the company privately at first to see how they handled it
    +1
    But include the companies response with your review.
    As mentioned above --- bum cigars happen.
    If a company is putting out "a lot" of duds, but knows they have issues and will make it up to the consumer then I'll be more apt to give them a chance.
    But if I know they're putting out bum cigars and don't do anyting to make it right, then nope. Won't waste my time with them.

So yes, let us know how it was ---- good bad or otherwise.
    But (as a reviewer) give the company a chance to make it right and let us know how they respond.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    catfishbluezz:
    Hey guys, I'd like to get your honest feedback on this subject. You can reply here,
    Good, bad, or indifferent I want to know how the cigar was. There's soo many brands out there, and more and more new ones coming out each week I don't have the time or $$ to try them all.

When looking for new brands (especially on the more $$$ brands) I'll browse forums, review sites, etc., and talk to the shop owner to see if there's a general consensus on how that cigar is.

But if a majority of people have problems with it, then move on. Try something else.

perkinke:
    As a consumer I'd prefer to know issues you encountered, but I liked one of the commenters suggestion of contacting the company privately at first to see how they handled it
    +1
    If a company is putting out "a lot" of duds, but knows they have issues and will make it up to the consumer then I'll be more apt to give them a chance.
    But if I know they're putting out bum cigars and don't do anyting to make it right, then nope. Won't waste my time with them.

But (as a reviewer) give the company a chance to make it right and let us know how they respond.
    i definitely think this is the way to go about it. I've had several people, including a retailer, suggest that route. The main issue is I buy the cigars I review, although hopefully that will change after IPCPR =] Given that I normally spent my own money on them, I am hesitant to rebuy something that blew up for review. Then if the company does make good, I guess I would still feel bad if a second explosion took place lol. Going forward I think establishing relationships with folks at the company will make the biggest difference.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    jgibv:
    catfishbluezz:

perkinke:
    +1

i definitely think this is the way to go about it. I've had several people, including a retailer, suggest that route. The main issue is I buy the cigars I review, although hopefully that will change after IPCPR =] Given that I normally spent my own money on them, I am hesitant to rebuy something that blew up for review. Then if the company does make good, I guess I would still feel bad if a second explosion took place lol. Going forward I think establishing relationships with folks at the company will make the biggest difference.
    So you're like most of us "average joes."

I agree, it's hard to spend more $$ on a brand that's already let you down once. I'd say contact the manufacturer (or B&M) before buying the second one though and see what happens. But put a time limit on it ... if you haven't heard back in 1 week, 2 weeks, etc. then publish your review and tell us you never got a response.

But let's say they take longer than 1-2 weeks to get back to you .... you can always go back and make an addendum to your review if they do work things out.

And if they send you a replacement quickly, very cool. Brownie points for good customer service .... but if that second cigar blows up too .... I want to know (and the manufacturer may want to know too) because 2 "duds" in a row isn't something you can overlook.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    For sure man. I'm thinking that is the best way to go, because construction issues arise no matter what the brand. Granted, some brands less then others, but still it happens. If the company handles it in a professional manner, that is a big plus for the consumer. If not, then why buy there stuff again? This whole thing came about as one of my Top 12 last year blew up on me and I thought about how that would've altered my review or possible ranking. I emailed the company and am awaiting a response... So far, I've got none.
  • Options
    Oddly enough these showed up on the DD. Click here for my thoughts

• Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I hate bad draws.Thanks for the review, I'm looking to try some Auroras.
  • Options
    Rain:
    I hate bad draws.Thanks for the review, I'm looking to try some Auroras.
    The DD is actually a good deal, I even considered it with the bad construction issue I had. The flavor was decent when it was there. AL makes great stuff, I need to add more to my humi's really. At this point, i think I could have a Dominican humi and get it up to 300 with Avo/Davidoff/Zino, MATASA, and LA stuff. I have a 125 dedicated to Avo/Davi/zino right now and its full.
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Very balanced review Dustin. I smoked two and most probably will not buy them in the future. I think the draw issue is permanent.
    catfishbluezz:
    Oddly enough these showed up on the DD. Click here for my thoughts

• Options
    I know a few of you guys were waiting for this, so Click here for the Review. This is a definite multiple box buy for me guys. I'll be buying a box of robusto, and want to try the corona, churchill, and petite lancero as well ASAP.
  • Options
    Chuck_NChuck_N Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭
    I couldnt agree more with you on your Regius review. I bought two 5ers of this cigar to give it a chance. Well I have only 2 left and will be buying muliple boxes. For me this is a stick that is priced right and is very enjoyable.
  • Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Chuck N:
    I couldnt agree more with you on your Regius review. I bought two 5ers of this cigar to give it a chance. Well I have only 2 left and will be buying muliple boxes. For me this is a stick that is priced right and is very enjoyable.
    +1 to this! Review was spot on bro! Got to smoke another now after reading it so I'll have words to describe the experience! LOL, didn't I send you the corona?
  • Options
    Thanks guys, actually the owner called me and said the same thing in regard to the review being spot on. That's the third time I've had that happen, and its come from owners and consumers, which is really encouraging with the whole process. I appreciate you guys reading and enjoying, thanks again. But yeah...it's a multi box buy for me. I didn't want to go to overboard with my praise, but it really reminds me of aged Cohiba without the price tag. I jsut figured if I said that, I'd get flamed by fanboys.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Smooth with some spice? Oh yeah! I gotta get some of these.
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Regius robusto.......where have I seen this before........
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    SleevePlz:
    Regius robusto.......where have I seen this before........
    thats a corona... And the upmann looked like a 12 from that pic, but I wouldn't know, Juinn snaked the punch ;)
  • Options
    smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great review brother..i see they are sold at a shop not to far from me. Might have to drop by and pick up a few to try myself.
  • Options
    smoke em if you got em:
    Great review brother..i see they are sold at a shop not to far from me. Might have to drop by and pick up a few to try myself.
    They won't have the pepper you are accustomed to from the DPG stuff, so make sure it's a first cigar of the day. Thanks for the kind words
  • Options
    smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    smoke em if you got em:
    They won't have the pepper you are accustomed to from the DPG stuff, so make sure it's a first cigar of the day. Thanks for the kind words
    Thanks for the tip.
  • Options
    Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great review Dustin. I also am a fan of the mild to medium style, perhaps why I am a Habanos fan. Not yet available in Colorado, Mrs. Slob and I will have to take a weekend trip to Witchita. Never thought I would say those words.
  • Options
    macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    Coming to 'Ta town.... I happen to know couple nice places to visit... might even get a chance to get out and herf with little warning.
  • Options
    Poker Slob:
    Great review Dustin. I also am a fan of the mild to medium style, perhaps why I am a Habanos fan. Not yet available in Colorado, Mrs. Slob and I will have to take a weekend trip to Witchita. Never thought I would say those words.
    These are fantastic, just ordered a box, and they are not available online. I do have a connection for them though via email I got my box from if you need it. As a mild-med fan, I'll be buying boxes of several vitolas really.
  • Options
    Hey guys, one of the best parts about reviewing, is smoking stuff out of my comfort zone. When I had the Intemperance conny, it was too strong for me. So when it came to this, I was expecting too much, but in reality...it was excellent. Knowing I am not a huge maddy fan, or expect to buy many if any at all, this is one I'd buy before the FFP any day. I had an FFP a couple days before, and this was just as good IMO and it's half the price, with no BS availability. Anyways, for the DE/Tat fans...this is a brand you really should look into. I'll be reviewing the CroMagnon next. I have a feeling people that like that stuff, will love this. Click here for the review
  • Options
    This is one of Kuzi's favorite blends, and I can see why after he gave me one in a trade. I'm very curious to explore the rest of the line, as my guess is both their blends are fantastic. Click here for the review and post review discussion image
  • Options
    Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another great review Dustin! It's good to have someone I can follow that has similar taste in cigars.
  • Options
    Poker Slob:
    Another great review Dustin! It's good to have someone I can follow that has similar taste in cigars.
    I'm glad you liked it man, thanks for the kind words. I'm actually going to write a post on how to choose a reviewer here soon. Given the subjectivity of reviewers and the hobby, it really is important to find reviewers you can connect your palate with. It's funny because knowing Rob and Logan's tastes, I can help customers at my shop find cigars if they don't like what I do. Rob knows my tastes well enough, when he recommends something to me, I typically love it, even though he might not like it. I also know when he and Logan like certain types of cigars, I probably will not. It's a weird thing you kind of figure out over time of reading someone's thoughts and compare them to what you thought about specific cigars, regions, or brands. Anyways, I really dug the Elogio man. It's nice to see blending for balance and flavor in Nica. I think Rip would love this.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I've had several boxes of these over the past 2 years. I rarely have any construction issues. Occasionally, I'll pick up some bitterness at the very end, and I have had 1 or 2 get somewhat plugged in the lower 3rd. This might just be a humidity issue. I love these sticks. Good review, by the way.
  • Options
    beatnic:
    I've had several boxes of these over the past 2 years. I rarely have any construction issues. Occasionally, I'll pick up some bitterness at the very end, and I have had 1 or 2 get somewhat plugged in the lower 3rd. This might just be a humidity issue. I love these sticks. Good review, by the way.
    It was definitely tunneling, sucks when that happens, but the blend was so good I figured it was a rarity. People don't use tobacco that good and blend it that well to produce duds. Thanks for the kind words bro. I know a ton of people that love these, so I look forward to buying more.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    catfishbluezz:
    beatnic:
    It was definitely tunneling, sucks when that happens, but the blend was so good I figured it was a rarity. People don't use tobacco that good and blend it that well to produce duds. Thanks for the kind words bro. I know a ton of people that love these, so I look forward to buying more.
    Let me know if you have trouble finding them. My B&M carries the entire line and I just bought another box.
  • Options
    beatnic:
    catfishbluezz:
    beatnic:
    Let me know if you have trouble finding them. My B&M carries the entire line and I just bought another box.
    will do, def curious on the pricing of the line and would rebuy the habano for sure.
  • Options
    Better late then never right? I remembered having one when it came out, and not thinking it was worth the money. Had another one, and it grew on me... So I had to review one to see what I really thought. Honestly, I think the construction has been spotty on the few I've had, but these are still available on sister sites for a good deal as I grabbed a fiver recently. I definitely recommend grabbing some if you can, and contacting AndyD@cigar.com to see if they have any hiding. Click here for the review. image