Home Trades, Passes and Bombs

Mystery Stick Game

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    Damn, I've had the LVH Cameroon before too, but the one I had previously was nowhere near that good. I had a robusto, and it didn't have any age on it really, maybe that is why? I am going to have to give them another look, a very serious look. The Oliva V I should've known, but I have only had one of those before. And I've never had the CAO Gold Maduro, so no shock there. Thanks again for the sticks man, it was a blast.
    That LVH had well over a year of age on it, it hit my humi on 8/1/2008 but was part of a trade from another BOTL that had it for a while. The LVH was the curveball. I was intentionally shooting for some lower end sticks that I was hoping you hadn't had and the Oliva V was the one I figured that you would have had.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    alienmisprint:
    Damn, I've had the LVH Cameroon before too, but the one I had previously was nowhere near that good. I had a robusto, and it didn't have any age on it really, maybe that is why? I am going to have to give them another look, a very serious look. The Oliva V I should've known, but I have only had one of those before. And I've never had the CAO Gold Maduro, so no shock there. Thanks again for the sticks man, it was a blast.
    That LVH had well over a year of age on it, it hit my humi on 8/1/2008 but was part of a trade from another BOTL that had it for a while. The LVH was the curveball. I was intentionally shooting for some lower end sticks that I was hoping you hadn't had and the Oliva V was the one I figured that you would have had.
    The age did that LVH a world of good. Makes me want to buy a box of them just to sit 'em in the coolerdor for a year. And at around $30, I might do just that....
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    I assume it doesn't matter if I wait for my sticks, so who wants to mooch? I can go ahead and keep the show rolling.
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    I'd love to get back in on this game! Cholmes, I'd be honored to be your mystery mooch.
    betasynn:
    I'd love to get back in on this game! Cholmes, I'd be honored to be your mystery mooch.

Shoot me a PM with the info.
    Sent! Thanks a bunch.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    cholmes8310:
    Edit: Alien, this is a good idea, if it doesn't matter to you. We literally sit in cubes right across from each other.

2 things. First...that means both you guys are in the army?

Second...so who's turn is it to offer mystery sticks?

Nah, not in the army.  Work in a big corporate office sprawling with cubicles. 

And I offered the mystery sticks and had betasynn step up as the mooch.  Will get them out tomorrow or Saturday.  Waiting on an incoming order to see if there is anything I want to add.

I guess it's my turn, then? Who wants to be my mystery mooch? I'm just putting this out there; sticks will be sent monday.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Hey Robert...ya out there? Ever get around to smoking those mystery cigars?
    betasynn:
    Sent! Thanks a bunch.

Cigars are in the hands of FedEx. Said they'd be there Tuesday. PM sent with tracking info.
    madurofan:
    So I got my mystery stick yesterday. None of them smelled like a stripper so I figure no Acid's were snuck into the package, so I let them rest overnight in the humi and grabbed one for the drive home tonight.

They are not lettered in any way but all three are distinctive enough to tell the difference. One is an obvious Conneticut wrapper Toro, at first I was thinking ESV but the ring gauge is a touch too small to be a Perdomo(though thats a good thing IMO). Based on looks, feel and smell if I was forced to guess I'd say its a Cusano 18 Connie or an Avo.

The second is a Colorado wrapper which could be any number of things. Its also a very traditional robusto, guessing off looks, feel and smell is damn near impossible.

The third is a slightly Box Pressed Corona Maduro. Based on looks, feel and smell its a Padron 26 or 64. Although the Box Pressing at the foot seem a little more than on the Pardons. This is the one I brought with me for the ride home.
    OK so I smoked another today. I'll smoke the final one tomorrow. This was the conneticut Toro. Wasn't real impressed it had a bit of pepper through the nose but was otherwise papery and ashy. Seemed well constructed but the flavors were off. Reminded me of Reyes Family cigars, i.e. Puros Indios.

So Far - RP OWR and Puros Indios are my guesses.

You still around Robert? I haven't seen or heard from you in a minute.
    Ok I smoked the third and final one today. Its pissing me off. I know this cigar, I know it well but I can't place it. I mean I am drawing a complete blank. Great cigar, had some hints of leather and some baryard. Robert I hope you pop back up buddy I'd really like to what I smoked.

My guesses

RP OWR
    Puros Indios
    No idea. Maybe an Oliva Serie O.
    Robert where are you at buddy, don't leave me hanging I wanna know what I smoked.
    And also, anyone want to mooch from me? I send good cigars, swear!
  • robert69165robert69165 Posts: 219
    Hey buddy sorry for not posting, I had a very bad head cold so I couldnt smoke the cigars and then my computer has decided to take a poop so the only way I can use the computer is if I go to the public library. Here is what I think about the mystery smokes: A. Maduro wrapper, light on the draw, notes of pepper and and leather, flavor remained stable through out the duration of the smoke, iwould say this was a medium bodied to full and that this was an Onyx reserve. B. Natural wrapper easy on the draw, hint of earth with no burn issues, flavor is mellow and a light bodied cigar with toasty notes at the end. I believe that this cigar is a 5 Vegas. C. Natural wrapper, light and pepper notes that remain consistant. slight burn issue at mid point but it corrects itself. notes of spice noticed at the end, I would say that this cigar is a Padron. This is a fun game, Kudos to Jetmech for coming up with it and thanks to you j0z3r for the great smokes and for the extras, I had fun! take care Bro and happy smoking!
    robert69165:
    Hey buddy sorry for not posting, I had a very bad head cold so I couldnt smoke the cigars and then my computer has decided to take a poop so the only way I can use the computer is if I go to the public library. Here is what I think about the mystery smokes: A. Maduro wrapper, light on the draw, notes of pepper and and leather, flavor remained stable through out the duration of the smoke, iwould say this was a medium bodied to full and that this was an Onyx reserve. B. Natural wrapper easy on the draw, hint of earth with no burn issues, flavor is mellow and a light bodied cigar with toasty notes at the end. I believe that this cigar is a 5 Vegas. C. Natural wrapper, light and pepper notes that remain consistant. slight burn issue at mid point but it corrects itself. notes of spice noticed at the end, I would say that this cigar is a Padron. This is a fun game, Kudos to Jetmech for coming up with it and thanks to you j0z3r for the great smokes and for the extras, I had fun! take care Bro and happy smoking!
    Hey man glad to see you back ... I'm dying to know what it was I smoked.
  • robert69165robert69165 Posts: 219
    Hey maddy sorry for not being present, my computer has decided to take a poop and the only way to post is if I go down to the local library and post from there. Anyway here are the answers to the mystery sticks: A. Onyx reserve, B. Padilla 1968 and C. you guessed it this was an Oliva series O. Anyway thanks for your concern, I'm still around I've just been lurking since my computer has went down. Take care Bro, I'm still here! :)
    Sorry for your luck here lately man, I hope you feel better.

Onyx reserve eh? I would have SWORE that was an OWR, interesting.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    You thought a Padilla Series 68 tasted like Puro Indios? Maddy man, you have got to give them another shot, that was obviously a bad stick. The 68s are hands down one of my favorite cigars.
    Dude I love the Padillas that was only the second 68 that I've had. It was pretty bad though.
    Got my sticks in the mail today; letting them rest overnight, will smoke them either tomorrow or the next day.
    betasynn:
    Got my sticks in the mail today; letting them rest overnight, will smoke them either tomorrow or the next day.
    Yeah, hope you like them. Was a little light on inventory at the moment, and didn't get the package i was waiting for in time. I'll make sure and hook you up right next time. I wanted to throw in a some extras but didn't get them in time. Sorry!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    robert69165:
    Robert, good to see ya back...glad you're over your cold. Now for the cigars I sent you...well your guesses weren't bad per se, but were pretty off.

Here's the list:
    A: Oliva Special Sr robusto
    B: Perdomo Limited Reserve 10th Criollo robusto
    C: Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet #4.

I've gotta say I'm a bit confused here...you said cigar A had a maduro wrapper, but I can say with certainty that I sent no maduro wrapped cigars...in fact, all three mystery cigars are pretty obviously natural wrappers. So...yeah...dunno. :s
    Alright, folks. I smoked Mystery Cigar 'A' from cholmes, it was a box-pressed natural. The spice leads me to believe it was probably a corojo wrapper, but more on that in a bit. Mystery Cigar A: Smelled and tasted awesome on the pre-light draw, lit well but had a bit of a sour flavor. Spice on the backend of the pallet. Mellows out after a few puffs. Cream, maybe some nutty notes. It hass become a great cigar after an inch. Burn is razor sharp, as well. Very sweet, but with that wonderful spicy undertone. Very strong nutty flavors. Great smoke, effortless pull, a few burn issues in the bottom. The cigar let me know when it was time to be put down by going out slowly. I really liked this. I'm actually a little uncertain as to what this is. I've never had it before, but it reminds me of a Rocky Patel Fusion for the spice, and maybe an Oliva Serie O for the flavor. I really dug this cigar though. I have this feeling that maybe it's a Perdomo, but seeing as how I've never had one, I couldn't say for sure. Heading out to Best Buy now, I'll smoke the B cigar when I get back.
    betasynn:
    Alright, folks. I smoked Mystery Cigar 'A' from cholmes, it was a box-pressed natural. The spice leads me to believe it was probably a corojo wrapper, but more on that in a bit. Mystery Cigar A: Smelled and tasted awesome on the pre-light draw, lit well but had a bit of a sour flavor. Spice on the backend of the pallet. Mellows out after a few puffs. Cream, maybe some nutty notes. It hass become a great cigar after an inch. Burn is razor sharp, as well. Very sweet, but with that wonderful spicy undertone. Very strong nutty flavors. Great smoke, effortless pull, a few burn issues in the bottom. The cigar let me know when it was time to be put down by going out slowly. I really liked this. I'm actually a little uncertain as to what this is. I've never had it before, but it reminds me of a Rocky Patel Fusion for the spice, and maybe an Oliva Serie O for the flavor. I really dug this cigar though. I have this feeling that maybe it's a Perdomo, but seeing as how I've never had one, I couldn't say for sure. Heading out to Best Buy now, I'll smoke the B cigar when I get back.
    You want the answer now, or after all three?
    Alright, smoked Cigar B. I did like it, and it reminded me a little of a La Flor Dominicana Factory Press, or something similar, but it had a tiny bit of spice in the opening. Great smoky, wood flavors with a bit of chocolate, though a bit bitter. I'd say it's by LF. Maybe. Smoking the C cigar now. It is a lot like a 5 Vegas Relic, and I had one of those just a couple days ago. Lots of earthy notes. What did I smoke?
    betasynn:
    Alright, smoked Cigar B. I did like it, and it reminded me a little of a La Flor Dominicana Factory Press, or something similar, but it had a tiny bit of spice in the opening. Great smoky, wood flavors with a bit of chocolate, though a bit bitter. I'd say it's by LF. Maybe. Smoking the C cigar now. It is a lot like a 5 Vegas Relic, and I had one of those just a couple days ago. Lots of earthy notes. What did I smoke?
    Pretty good - I'll give you two out of 3
    A: Perdomo 2 Natural - you said you thought it was a Perdomo. I like this smoke as well, and am curious to try the Maduro version
    B: CAO VR
    C: 5 Vegas Relic - I expected you to get this one. I had to send something I knew a lot of people liked in case you hated the others, and didn't know for sure if you had had one. I figured if you guessed one this would be it though.

Good job. Glad you enjoyed them.
    Hm... not too bad :) If you compare it to my second attempt, much better. Was the perdomo a segundo? And I liked all three of the sticks. You really did a nice number here, thanks so much for these. Now; who wants to be my mooch?
  • hawaiianbasshawaiianbass Posts: 123
    I'll be your mooch.

CK