Home Non Cigar Related
Options

what did you drink today ?

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    dutyje:
    An old female professor would come to the bar I worked at in college every day during the summer. She'd just hold up a finger, and you'd serve up bourbon on the rocks, and a tall glass of ice water. She'd put the bourbon down in three sips, then sip on the ice water for about 5 minutes. Then she'd hold up a finger and you'd serve her a fresh bourbon on the rocks. After 3 or 4 of these, she'd settle up and leave. That was her lunch.
    i think im gunna have this for lunch.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    That's gotta take the edge off those committee meetings.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Tonight I had a whiskey w/ sprite zero (this has turned into my one of my favorite pairings with a cigar). Since I smoked, I finished that with a Gin & Bitter Lemon (Gin, Tonic, and a couple splashes of lemon juice).
  • Options
    Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    AAAAAAAHHHHHH...I'm home so I now have a chance to post on this one. Last night I had a couple of glasses of Port. This was afirst for this type but my favorite brand, Graham's. I had a Late Bottle Vintage '03 that was pretty darn good. Hopefully next time I will be having a cigar with it.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Bad Andy:
    AAAAAAAHHHHHH...I'm home so I now have a chance to post on this one. Last night I had a couple of glasses of Port. This was afirst for this type but my favorite brand, Graham's. I had a Late Bottle Vintage '03 that was pretty darn good. Hopefully next time I will be having a cigar with it.
    Congrats on being home Andy!
  • Options
    Went to see a local band with some friends last night, and had several bottles of Abita Turbo Dog. Pretty good stuff.
  • Options
    never had that. how would you describe it?
  • Options
    pilot711pilot711 Posts: 176
    urbino:
    Went to see a local band with some friends last night, and had several bottles of Abita Turbo Dog. Pretty good stuff.
    Love the Abita Beer! Amber is my everyday goto beer. Turbodog is great when I want something a little darker. My GF loves the Purple Haze.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    never had that. how would you describe it?
    Honestly, I'm not enough of a beer drinker to be able to describe it well, kuzi. Maybe pilot can, since he's familiar with it. Sorry.

Edit: Abita's description seems about right. I can vouch for the "a little stronger than usual" part. That would explain this morning's surprise hangover.
  • Options
    Herradura Anejo, neat, and a 32-oz Dos Equis Amber... climbing night, the bar at the local Mexican restaurant is our normal stop afterwards
  • Options
    I drank through quite a few Abita's while in New Orleans. Very good stuff the turbo dog and wheat were my faves but the Amber was good as well.
  • Options
    The Light remains my favorite, but Turbodog is good stuff, too. I had the Amber a while back. Didn't love it, but it's okay.
  • Options
    pilot711pilot711 Posts: 176
    I've never been any good at describing the finer nuances of taste and smell although I know what I like. Always frustrated trying to pick up on the chocolate, almond, peanut, leather people describe in cigars. Abita is one of my favorite domestic beers. They have a nice brew pub and restaurant in their original microbrewery in Abita Springs, Louisiana. It's about a 45 minute drive north of New Orleans across Lake Pontchartrain. The link Urby posted will do a better job of describing the different brews than I could. Good stuff though.
  • Options
    I'm definetly hitting that up when I'm back in NOLA in November.
  • Options
    this morning im having a cup of Assam tea. Its from india. the kettle is heating at the moment. if its good (and i dont have to go along with my friend who is on the way over to pick up some furnature) i may have a small light cigar with it.
  • Options
    never got to the above mentioned cigar.

i went to a class for work today all about beer and wine and all spirits that Applebees serves.

they had samples

i cant begin to list all that i tried today. here are the high points:
    Dortmunder gold in a bottle and on tap.
    Stella on tap
    a handfull of blended scotch whiskies
    all the wines that we serve (about a dozen)

they were all just tastes but with that kind of selection i was feelin it a bit.

best part... it was free.
  • Options
    What's the best blended scotch? I'm thinking about keeping some on hand for my father-in-law, but I'm not a scotch drinker. I'm sure he doesn't go into high end single malts or anything.
  • Options
    I don't drink blends much, but Johnnie Walker is pretty highly regarded, AFAIK.
  • Options
    dutyje:
    What's the best blended scotch? I'm thinking about keeping some on hand for my father-in-law, but I'm not a scotch drinker. I'm sure he doesn't go into high end single malts or anything.
    i have no idea. im a beer and wine snob. when we get into other spirits... im lost.
  • Options
    I'm having an Michelob AmberBock right now watching the Giants embaress the Browns. Yum
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    A couple of Straub's for me...
  • Options
    Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    So drinking lately has been good. Of course I'm in Cancun for 5 days...
    So I have been drinking a bit of everything because it is free. But I have found some really good wines out here too. I'm just happy to be drinking at this point after going 6 months without being allowed to drink in Iraq.
  • Options
    Tonight was hockey playoffs... we squeaked out a victory 4-3 in overtime, so we celebrated with a case of the Beer That Made Milwaukee Famous (brewed with just the kiss of the hops). This gets us to the championship game next week, and one more sweet victory will bring our lips to the C Cup (yes, that's the name of our hockey trophy). Been a couple years since I had my lips on the C Cup (or any C Cup for that matter).
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    dutyje:
    Tonight was hockey playoffs... we squeaked out a victory 4-3 in overtime, so we celebrated with a case of the Beer That Made Milwaukee Famous (brewed with just the kiss of the hops). This gets us to the championship game next week, and one more sweet victory will bring our lips to the C Cup (yes, that's the name of our hockey trophy). Been a couple years since I had my lips on the C Cup (or any C Cup for that matter).
    Congratulations, Mr. Water Pillows. Lots of questions, did you score the winning goal? Any goals? Any assists? Did you knock anybody out with a cross check? And for someone who comes across as having refined tastes, you'll drink anything, huh? Good luck next week.
  • Options
    Schlitz is my #1 beer of choice. Period.. it's been that way since 1996. I used to be a big beer snob and belonged to beer of the month clubs, and would only drink micro-brews and imports.... that all changed the night I had my first Schlitz. Now I'll admit, I still really like a very good beer (not pale ales so much... love a stout, really love a porter, like most amber lagers....) but Schlitz as an all-around beer is still #1 on my list.

As far as the hockey, I totally blew a great scoring chance (poster), and the lucky *** of a goalie snagged the first laser-beam slapshot I've had all season. I think they gave me an assist on a late goal, but I don't keep track of that too much, as I'm a defenseman. I keep track of how many goals the other team scores when I'm on the ice. Tonight, that was zero. I'm faster than average, so I did a good job chasing down the breakaways and generally interfering with the actual play of "hockey" to make things grind to a halt. I drew a penalty on them late which resulted in our scoring the game-tying goal to send it to overtime. I was on the bench when we won, which is not a rare occurrence :)
  • Options
    SacNickSacNick Posts: 77
    Does anyone dip their cigars in Cognac? I don't like to dip my cigars, but I sure do like to drink the Cognac with the cigar.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    SacNick:
    Does anyone dip their cigars in Cognac? I don't like to dip my cigars, but I sure do like to drink the Cognac with the cigar.
    I've smoked a local fresh rolled cigar that the roller mists with cognac, it doesn't spoil the tobacco taste, but it does leave a nice sweetness on the wrapper.
  • Options
    SacNick:
    my dad does that now and then. im more of a purist. ill never do that.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    SacNick:

I love cognac with my cigar - lately it's been a bottle of Hine VSOP that I'm trying to polish off, but my favorite is Remy XO. If you're into vanilla and cognac, try Navan. It's a little sweet and syrupy, but if you cut it with some water, it's really nice.
  • Options
    I had a Yuengling Light at a restaurant this evening. Pee-yew. That stuff has even less flavor than Bud Light. I'm not kidding. I'm not much of a beer drinker, but that was probably the worst beer I've ever had.