Home Non Cigar Related
Options

I made this.

Comments

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

I asked you much did you exceed the speed limit. Based on your response it seems as though you broke the law today. Please promptly turn your self in. Law is law!

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somebody got up on the wrong side of life today... If you get this pissed about a shopping cart you must really get an ulcer thinking about the real crises like the $80 billion worth of COVID relief that was hijacked. How do you cope with life if the minor stuff throws you off this much?

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sasquatch who hurt you?

• Options
    SasquatchSasquatch Posts: 307 ✭✭✭

@Vision said:

@Sasquatch said:

@Patrickbrick said:
    How much over the speed limit did you drive to work today?

A silly question that actually proves my point. How many mph over the speed limit before we care that it is a crime? 5, 10, 50 I guess you can pick your level of lawlessness according to your pocketbook & not your morals.
    A quick question for you. How much can you steal in $ amount before it is punishable? $5, $10, $50? Are you going to justify a property crime against yourself with the silly position that you sped to work that morning?

You are absolutely correct this is not new. Common theft has been around since dawn of time. What is new is posting about crime on social media. Everybody seems ok with petty theft. At what point does it become a crime?
    Should he ask his son to shoplift $100 (wild guess with cart value) from the same grocery store?

I'll repeat the question. Should he ask his son to shoplift $100 (wild guess with cart value) from the same grocery store?
    Did your answer change and do you think it is just a laughable petty crime.

Oh I think there is something in there that's laughable. 🫢

What's laughable? A simple two questions.
    Is it OK to steal a shopping cart worth$100? (IDK actual value)
    Is it OK to shoplift, or steal, $100 of merchandise from store?
    They are both crimes of the same petty nature, but one is NBD in your eyes. WHY?

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

@Sasquatch said:

@Vision said:

@Sasquatch said:

@Patrickbrick said:

A silly question that actually proves my point. How many mph over the speed limit before we care that it is a crime? 5, 10, 50 I guess you can pick your level of lawlessness according to your pocketbook & not your morals.
    A quick question for you. How much can you steal in $ amount before it is punishable? $5, $10, $50? Are you going to justify a property crime against yourself with the silly position that you sped to work that morning?

You are absolutely correct this is not new. Common theft has been around since dawn of time. What is new is posting about crime on social media. Everybody seems ok with petty theft. At what point does it become a crime?
    Should he ask his son to shoplift $100 (wild guess with cart value) from the same grocery store?

I'll repeat the question. Should he ask his son to shoplift $100 (wild guess with cart value) from the same grocery store?

They are both crimes of the same petty nature, but one is NBD in your eyes. WHY?

See, I'm an anarchistic and devil worshipper. I love strife.

Edit: Seriously tho.... this is John Wick type stuff right here. "It's not what you did. It's who you did it to." The OP may be one of the nicest humans on the planet and it seemed like you were either criticizing his parenting or him directly.... this is why you're being verbally sodomized.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sasquatch Nobody is saying that stealing anything is OK, okay? Just learn which hill is the right hill to die on.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

@Vision said:

@Sasquatch said:

@Vision said:

@Sasquatch said:

@Patrickbrick said:

LOL Two simple questions for you to answer. What limit should it be before you consider it a crime?

• Options

Have you ever picked something up off the sidewalk, side of the road, or basically anywhere other than your property and took it home? A rock, pocket change, seemingly garbage but didn’t throw it out? If you answered yes to any of those, you have committed theft as well.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bubbles says it's free game once its in the ditch or was it Ricky that said that?

• Options
    edited May 2022

That was bubbles, as he was pushing them in the ditch.

MOW badge received.
  • Options

@Patrickbrick said:
    I asked you much did you exceed the speed limit. Based on your response it seems as though you broke the law today. Please promptly turn your self in. Law is law!

Your apples to oranges type argument is really flawed

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey, sasquatch, you made your point, give it a rest.

Proverbs 16:18.

Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.

• Options

Got it, you pick and choose the laws you believe you should abide.

MOW badge received.
  • Options

@Vision said:

@Sasquatch said:

@Vision said:

@Sasquatch said:

@Patrickbrick said:

Edit: Seriously tho.... this is John Wick type stuff right here. "It's not what you did. It's who you did it to." The OP may be one of the nicest humans on the planet and it seemed like you were either criticizing his parenting or him directly.... this is why you're being verbally sodomized.

This sentence"The OP may be one of the nicest humans on the planet and it seemed like you were either criticizing his parenting or him directly.." is the point of contention. You can not argue that what his son did was a petty crime. That part is fact.
    You are just mad that a random forum member spoke up about it. He is a friend of yours and that's fine."The OP may be one of the nicest humans on the planet." IDK could be true and I'd like to think so. Yes, I was "criticizing his parenting." If you think it is OK and/or allow your child to steal from a store.......what else do you have to say?

• Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sasquatch

I think Peter said it best, "Nobody is saying that stealing anything is OK, okay? Just learn which hill is the right hill to die on."

Pay attention to the Scripture Verse that Edward posted, Proverbs 16:18. I know I have certainly been humbled over the years after I built myself up, in my own mind, as a morally superior person. I've even been humbled by a few folks on this forum as well. Just my two cents.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options

@Patrickbrick said:
    Have you ever picked something up off the sidewalk, side of the road, or basically anywhere other than your property and took it home? A rock, pocket change, seemingly garbage but didn’t throw it out? If you answered yes to any of those, you have committed theft as well.

Again apples to oranges type argument doesn't apply to stated facts of this situation.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get the indignation over a forum member, a good forum member, being called out over a seemingly petty circumstance. Overlooking your child's bad behavior is common, probably near universal, and we're here to have fun.

On the other hand, I sympathize with @Sasquatch 's position. I use my cruise control pretty much whenever possible. I think we should all follow the rules, the same rules out on the road. I'd be really impressed if my fellow Tennesseans ever figure out that lever on the left side of the steering wheel, and if they'd ever grasp that the left lane isn't there to be the safe one for granny to drive 25mph under the speed limit in.

Also, nobody steals ANYTHING from Walmart. How's that? Because they stole it from ME. Anything stolen from Walmart, or any other retailer, is paid for by ME. Personally, me. Because I don't steal.

The real problem being addressed, it seems to me, is the parent's tolerance and complicity. Locally, the young boys find it to be the very epitome of humor to remove all the street signs. Just like they were doing 50 or 60 years ago. Where are they? Their parents know, because most of them are hanging on the walls in their kids bedrooms. So what? Everybody did it, didn't you? I didn't, only because my Dad would have busted my ass for awhile. I did do other stupid shoite, but not that one.

So, especially before the time of GPS, how many 911 calls weren't answered in time because the EMS crew couldn't find the right house or road? People died, because unthinking children "just" stole a street sign. And their parents "just" overlooked it. Because it's "just" petty theft.

How does it stop?

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

It was not I who hit the flag button, but based on your statement of petty theft and taking something that doesn’t belong to you this is not apple’s to oranges. It’s your perception of what is acceptable petty theft, a shopping cart is off limits to you but it seems as though other objects are fair game. I’m not saying taking a cart is ok, I’m simply stating that no matter the object unless provided permission to remove the item theft has been committed.

MOW badge received.
  • Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sasquatch said:
    You are just mad that a random forum member spoke up about it. He is a friend of yours and that's fine."The OP may be one of the nicest humans on the planet." IDK could be true and I'd like to think so. Yes, I was "criticizing his parenting." If you think it is OK and/or allow your child to steal from a store.......what else do you have to say?

You know, @MrShrek never mentioned whether or not his son got in trouble for taking the cart or whether or not he spoke with someone at the store about it. Just something to keep in mind.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options

You circle the wagons around your friend and that is admirable since I'm just a random person. You know him.
    My point was made by the above poster"It’s your perception of what is acceptable petty theft, a shopping cart is off limits to you but it seems as though other objects are fair game. I’m not saying taking a cart is ok, I’m simply stating that no matter the object unless provided permission to remove the item theft has been committed." I agree with your premise as stated.
    I disagree with you on this part 100% "other objects are fair game" I have never implied that with any post.
    I like that "perception of acceptable petty theft." That was the basis of my comment.
    is stealing a shopping cart ok?
    Is shoplifting same dollar value from store ok?
    At what point does crime become stigmatized enough to not post about it on social media?

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sasquatch said:
    You circle the wagons around your friend and that is admirable since I'm just a random person. You know him.
    My point was made by the above poster"It’s your perception of what is acceptable petty theft, a shopping cart is off limits to you but it seems as though other objects are fair game. I’m not saying taking a cart is ok, I’m simply stating that no matter the object unless provided permission to remove the item theft has been committed." I agree with your premise as stated.
    I disagree with you on this part 100% "other objects are fair game" I have never implied that with any post.
    I like that "perception of acceptable petty theft." That was the basis of my comment.
    is stealing a shopping cart ok?
    Is shoplifting same dollar value from store ok?
    At what point does crime become stigmatized enough to not post about it on social media?

305 posts and about 15 of them about cigars.

• Options

I'm sorry if that question offends you Vision. It must,or you wouldn't try to discredit the person asking it. Post count really... come on I expected better

Y'all have an enjoyable Memorial Day weekend

• Options

@MrShrek said:
    Wow....have a missed a lot in a short period of time. As the "OP" and more importantly the father I will throw in my two cents.

So, this might surprise you gents, but @Sasquatch is just fine in my book. I admire the fact that he has openly stated his feelings on this topic, defended his stance and garnered such an energized conversation. He called a spade a spade and I will not fault him for that.

In no way do I think theft is acceptable or condone what my son did. Should I have made sure the cart was taken back immediately? Yes. Could that be seen as a failure on my part? By some I am sure of that as well. I did however take the opportunity to have a teachable moment with him and dealt with the violation accordingly to hopefully ensure something of that nature does not happen again. He knows our family's stance on it. I am not so naive though as to think any of us will not make poor choices in the future. (Myself and my children included) I do hope though that the lessons and corrections I have made with my children over the years will spare them from having to learn it again in a more painful manor. If that is what it takes though so be it.

I don't care if Sasquatch robbed a bank, broke the speed limit or stole a street sign. Two wrongs don't make a right. My son was still in the wrong. We may not see eye to eye on everything, but we can all agree on that.

You will all be happy to know that shopping cart in question has been returned to it's rightful Home Depot in Murfreesboro, TN. I for one am very happy to have it out of my home.

To those of you who chimed in, thank you my dear friends. I appreciate it very much.

I would like to invite Sasquatch over to the vHerf sometime to share a smoke and hopefully some good conversation. I am confident that even those who did not agree with you would welcome you as well. Also if you ever find yourself in middle Tennessee, lets meet up for a smoke.

BRAVO!!!!! I would shake your hand anytime.