Home General Discussion
Options

FDA Regulation Update

Comments

• Options
    CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

@0patience said:
    So I'd like the FDA to explain how a $5 cigar is different than a $20 cigar.
    Why should one be under those regulations and the higher priced ones exempt?

I'm worried about this too. I believe it was some arbitrary number, like $11 or more. I think a lot of the B&M shops were supporting it as well. Writing letters advocating taxing online cigars and excise taxes and making mandatory minimum pricing "to level the playing field". I understand their self serving motivation but I don't like it one bit. It may price a lot of folks out. Always a good time to be stocking up. Like cheap guns and ammo, it too will eventually be a thing of the past.

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CAcigarguy007 said:

@0patience said:

I'm worried about this too. I believe it was some arbitrary number, like $11 or more. I think a lot of the B&M shops were supporting it as well. Writing letters advocating taxing online cigars and excise taxes and making mandatory minimum pricing "to level the playing field". I understand their self serving motivation but I don't like it one bit. It may price a lot of folks out. Always a good time to be stocking up. Like cheap guns and ammo, it too will eventually be a thing of the past.

Self serving almost always ends up being a problem for everyone, including the person who is more concerned about themselves.

Years ago, they tried a "must be at least manufacturer's suggested retail price" on ammo. A lot of gun shops lost their a$$e$ on it and some shops would give "bulk discounts" on anything more than a box of 20.
    Eventually, they had to remove the ordinance.

I suspect that there will be loopholes that some places will capitalize on.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options

@0patience said:

@CAcigarguy007 said:

@0patience said:

Self serving almost always ends up being a problem for everyone, including the person who is more concerned about themselves.

Years ago, they tried a "must be at least manufacturer's suggested retail price" on ammo. A lot of gun shops lost their a$$e$ on it and some shops would give "bulk discounts" on anything more than a box of 20.
    Eventually, they had to remove the ordinance.

I suspect that there will be loopholes that some places will capitalize on.

Exactly, ends up being a catch-22. When they raise prices and taxes too high, people will simply find a way around them or reduce consumption considerably. They never learn. Same dumb sheet expecting a different result.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

All cigars will cost $11+

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

All that's damn arbitrary.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

Totally expected. This judge is a cigar smoker.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

And we can thank the honorable Judge, Rocky Patel, and all the others in the cigar industry who have placed their own money on the table to help make these rulings happen. Until the next time this rolls around, it really does a great deal to help the cigar industry. I'm certain the FDA isn't done yet, and hopefully it will take them more than just a few years to start poking and prodding.

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

@BKDog said: I'm certain the FDA isn't done yet.

They're fairly certain that their job definition is to make new regulations, therefore, they're never going to stop.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the latest issue of Tobacco News

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

Nothing to see here

• Options
    edited January 2021

I think the completely hand rolled portion of the language may come back to bite later down the road. I fully expect to see some portion(s) mechanized to save on labor costs at some point in time; while still remaining a premium product. Counting on low wage labor in perpetuity may end up being shortsighted. Time will tell. At least there is something definitive to work with moving forward. Not having the minimum pricing scheme is a big win IMO.

• Options
    CtheHamCtheHam Posts: 205 ✭✭✭✭

I have heard from various sources that they are working toward banning the flavor infused cigars in certain areas of the country, so as to "protect the children". However, in our newspaper today was an article of a driver that was pulled over and subsequently arrested after they found a weapon and drugs in his vehicle. (Note: pot is still illegal here.)

These are in no way even possibly interesting to children.

https://peakofohio.com/news/details.cfm?clientid=5&id=319573#.YDRbIehKiUk

• Options

That's my wtf. Par for the course. The reason weed gets such good treatment is that there are major bucks to be had by hungry local governments. Not so much with the tiny cigar industry.

Don't look ↑
  • Options

@CtheHam said:
    I have heard from various sources that they are working toward banning the flavor infused cigars in certain areas of the country, so as to "protect the children". However, in our newspaper today was an article of a driver that was pulled over and subsequently arrested after they found a weapon and drugs in his vehicle. (Note: pot is still illegal here.)

These are in no way even possibly interesting to children.

https://peakofohio.com/news/details.cfm?clientid=5&id=319573#.YDRbIehKiUk

I think it's more of an effort to go after the vaping industry. They lumped the flavored cigars in as a byproduct of legislation. The vaping was/is big with the kids but I don't like the sweeping legislation because it targets the whole market.

Not many kids smoke flavored cigars, the majority of those go to blunts, it's the outer wrapper that is prized. I'm thinking they just included flavored cigars because they could. Most of the highbrow folks and power brokers don't smoke them anyway so they go along with it as long as they get a carve out for themselves. Much like gun laws here, exemptions for police but bans/prohibition for the unwashed masses and politically unconnected.

I actually tried some vaping for a bit. Tasty products. Heck the mango juul was awsome and there were some pear and other salt nicotine products from Juice Heads that were great IMO. It gave a little freedom back to folks who wanted nicotine in anti nicotine environments. No stench, no smoke, and helped a lot of folks to give up cigarettes. The tobacco flavored juices were terrible and I'm sure a lot people returned to cigarettes when the supply dried up even though you can still make your own. Many still do but others are not comfortable enough.

It's just like the pot candies, an adult has to purchase them. Banning a whole segment or class of products because some fall into the wrong hands is rediculous and anti freedom. It's also hypocritical seeing as how there's a whole host of other products that kids misuse (paint, cigs, booze, pills, whip it's etc etc) but aren't banned because those doing the banning enjoy those products as well. Nothing pisses me off more than a self righteous hypocrite who believes in rules for thee but not for me.

It's also a slippery slope. When folks don't speak up for others rights and existence because it doesn't effect them, they will eventually have no one left to speak for them. Incrementally is how rights and freedoms are stripped away. I always try and yield to freedom, even if I don't particularly care for something. Choice is always best left up to the individual rather than a permission from the state. 🇺🇸

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Silly FDA and their whip-it parties.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very well said, @CAcigarguy007 .

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finally some good news!

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome. I hadn't seen that yet.

• Options
    edited March 2021

Man , that's only half a win. Shipping with age verification signature will add several dollars to every purchase, and since the vendor is required to remit the tax, I'm guessing the big guys will just say fvck it and still not offer it....

Don't look ↑
  • Options

They still take my money in CA and have to do age verification.

• Options

But they don't have to pay the cigar tax in California from Bethlehem Pennsylvania or from the other major outlets. That would involve changing server side applications.

Don't look ↑
  • Options

They do have to charge local PA customers with state tax, so it shouldn't be that hard to change, but we'll see what happens next year.