Home General Discussion
Options

What Booze Did You Get Today?

Comments

• Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I post in here a lot, but a lot and hunt a lot but to be completely honest I don't drink a lot. Half the fun for me is the hunt, the learning and immersion into a new and very complex yet fascinating subject. I have maybe 2-4 beers a week MAX and 3-4 drama of liquor a week unless it's a holiday. I keep myself reigned in strictly to make sure I don't fall off the deep end.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Wife picked up this for me today on a great sale less than $20 out the door.

"When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:

Shut Up!! (You asked for it) Seriously though...that's a great price!!! I can't ever run into deals like that.
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    Stubble:
    90+ Irishman:

Shut Up!! (You asked for it) Seriously though...that's a great price!!! I can't ever run into deals like that.
    LMAO I did ask for the shut up ;) And to be fair I didn't find out about the sale, my wife did. Got an email from the liquor superstore last night advertising it for today only, plus an old neighbor works there and gave us his employee discount too. But she is the one that heard about it and found it and was kind enough to a) even tell me knowing I would jump on it like a fat kid jumping on a velour jogging suit, and b) driving down and picking it up for me today. $18 after tax all said and done, but they would only let you buy one bottle :(
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lookin good! How is the 1792? I haven't had that one yet
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    I haven't either, though Zach (OchoZacho) said it was pretty decent so for $18/bottle I couldn't say no. Will crack open either that or the Stagg Jr. tonight for the first time and report back on either of them.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I have heard good things about 1792, def let us know.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    Will do, I've heard that it's pretty darned reasonable price wise even when not on sale. If it's as solid as I hope it is that could easily be a go to for a solid cheap bourbon. right now Corner Creek and Old Weller Antique 107 is my go to cheap option but they are getting harder to locate, especially the Old Weller at least in my area.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Nice pickup!!!
    Another great inexpensive bourbon is Larceny, tried some a few weeks ago and I thought it was pretty good.
  • Options
    benhanksbenhanks Posts: 342 ✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    I haven't either, though Zach (OchoZacho) said it was pretty decent so for $18/bottle I couldn't say no. Will crack open either that or the Stagg Jr. tonight for the first time and report back on either of them.
    The Stagg Jr. is fantastic!!
  • Options
    I can't stop! Talisker 10 and The Balvenie Doublewood. image
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    I can't stop! Talisker 10 and The Balvenie Doublewood. image
    How is Talisker 10?
  • Options
    Jetmech_63:
    Gray4lines:
    I can't stop! Talisker 10 and The Balvenie Doublewood.
    How is Talisker 10?
    I tried an ounce pour of it this last weekend, but it was my last sample so I don't recall too much except for a real deep flavor with some smoke. I'll pop it tonight and let you know. I'm not a scotch expert at all, in fact these are my first 4 bottles counting the Glenmorangie and Ardbeg I just picked up.
  • Options
    D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    Jetmech_63:
    Gray4lines:
    I can't stop! Talisker 10 and The Balvenie Doublewood.
    How is Talisker 10?
    I tried an ounce pour of it this last weekend, but it was my last sample so I don't recall too much except for a real deep flavor with some smoke. I'll pop it tonight and let you know. I'm not a scotch expert at all, in fact these are my first 4 bottles counting the Glenmorangie and Ardbeg I just picked up.
    I gotta say I love this thread so far. Being a bourbon guy I have only recently started exploring scotch. It's great to hear people's suggestions and opinions on what they drink. I really want to get into exploring different pairings with different cigars and hope to start posting about what I find. Not sure whether that's appropriate for this thread or not
  • Options
    Awesome Gray wow great pick ups, the Balvenie has been on my screen for awhile now interested to see what you think! And D, I don't see an issue with it but could always make a new thread of "What Are You Pairing Today?" Or something like that.
  • Options
    benhanks:
    90+ Irishman:
    The Stagg Jr. is fantastic!!
    Cracked it open last night and I would tend to agree :) I got this strong distinct cherry and spice note from it that was incredible, the cherry note just hung on continuously for minutes after even. Lots of toffee, vanilla, oak and that big sweet cherry. But at 131.7 proof there was also a big pure spirit burn going on, I tried it both neat and with a splash of distiller water, ended up liking the Stagg neat best with two frozen whiskey stones (soapstone). Great drink for sure :D

• Options
    OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    amz1301:
    JHewey:
    The last 6 months i have kind of gone off the deep end with buying bourbon. All these were bought in last 6 months except angels envy and elijah craig 12yr. Birthday Bourbon was a gift from a great brother.

So which ones your favorite out of those Justin? I'm looking for something with caramel, maple, pecan notes. I'm not looking to get that infused stuff either.
    Whoa!!! Blast from the past! How are you Andy?
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Go look in TP&B at the "Try My Liquid Pass"
  • Options
    amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    OchoZacho:
    amz1301:
    So which ones your favorite out of those Justin? I'm looking for something with caramel, maple, pecan notes. I'm not looking to get that infused stuff either.
    Good, just been busy. You?
  • Options
    Jetmech_63:
    Go look in TP&B at the "Try My Liquid Pass"
    Already IN :)
  • Options
    An awesome gift, some Dry Fly Washington Wheat Whiskey,, really looking forward to trying this whiskey!photo 20150105_165357.jpg
  • Options
    Nice Rudy, please let me know what you think as that's one I've read on and sounded interesting :)
  • Options
    amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    Eagle Rare and Four Roses are single barrel my liquor store chose and bottled. Eagle Rare 10 Year Old Single Barrel # 295 Warehouse C 5th Floor, Four Roses Single 100 Proof OBSV Barrel # 69-1C. Opened the Eagle Rare this evening, fantastic. Still new to bourbon but wow what a difference between the Old Grand 100 BIB and Evan Williams BIB I've tried so far.
    photo 25FA2E74-AE75-4005-8F40-3335D39A35DE_zpszdnbpukn.jpg
  • Options
    OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    amz1301:
    OchoZacho:
    amz1301:
    Good, just been busy. You?
    Busy myself as well - I think I've had two kids since we last talked :)
  • Options
    90+ Irishman:
    Nice Rudy, please let me know what you think as that's one I've read on and sounded interesting :)
    Light bodied crisp long finish, Creamy, vanilla and some oak, slightly astringent, def different. Good afternoon summers day whiskey, will try it again in a week or so, probably pairs very well with a ginger ale.
  • Options
    The Kid:
    90+ Irishman:
    Light bodied crisp long finish, Creamy, vanilla and some oak, slightly astringent, def different. Good afternoon summers day whiskey, will try it again in a week or so, probably pairs very well with a ginger ale.
    Very nice and sounds quite enjoyable thanks for the breakdown! Wheated bourbons are really unique but I tend to really enjoy how smooth and rich most of them are that I've tried :) Probably why I enjoy so much of the Weller line in fact, just wish it wasn't so hard to locate their brands right now.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:

So here's my little report on this guy, first off it is surprisingly smooth and a very easy drinker. Lighter body but rich and velvety mouthfeel which is very nice and pretty decent character. It honestly does not taste like a $20 bottle to me but something in the $30-40 price range IMHO. Vanilla and caramel and toffee are the main players that I tasted the most myself but very much enjoyed it.
  • Options
    matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    photo 0CC1B3CC-B876-4418-A7B7-732DF94838AA_zpsnwwhxkog.jpg

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Options
    matkn293:
    photo 0CC1B3CC-B876-4418-A7B7-732DF94838AA_zpsnwwhxkog.jpg
    FTG Brett and by virtue of how Brett got it, Rick (RCY Cigars) introduced me to the 15 year, that is such a smooth, sweet and delightful single malt, it's currently tied with Cragganmore 12 year for my all time fav single malt. Congrats Matkn, great great buy!!!
  • Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Mmmmm! That 15yr is tasty stuff. It used to be about $45 a bottle here and jumped up around $60. Maybe because I was buying it regularly and the "demand" went up haha.