Home General Discussion
Options

What Booze Did You Get Today?

Comments

• Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pelirrojo:
    Mmmmm! That 15yr is tasty stuff. It used to be about $45 a bottle here and jumped up around $60. Maybe because I was buying it regularly and the "demand" went up haha.
    I've read that happened to Buffalo Trace and I personally saw that happen to Eagle Rare here in Boulder County. I was buying Eagle Rare back in 2010 before I even knew what it was and it was the best kept secret for a brilliant drink under $25 after tax. Now I can't find it for less than $30 and that's before tax. Darn shame otherwise I'd be buying that by the case as my daily drink. Currently that is the 1792, but I suspect sooner rather than later it will go the way of Eagle Rare as well.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Stupid double posts.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    matkn293:
    photo 0CC1B3CC-B876-4418-A7B7-732DF94838AA_zpsnwwhxkog.jpg
    FTG Brett and by virtue of how Brett got it, Rick (RCY Cigars) introduced me to the 15 year, that is such a smooth, sweet and delightful single malt, it's currently tied with Cragganmore 12 year for my all time fav single malt. Congrats Matkn, great great buy!!!
    Interesting note on the Glenfiddich Solera. The details are hazy because I read up on this months ago so I'm forgetting names and details, but the same guy made both this and Balvenie Doublewood, and both use the same process, or cask, or something like that, and whatever he did first was the first to do it. Maybe it was using two casks? I wish I remembered. Point being, though, Brett if you liked this and are on the fence about Doublewood, get down off that fence and try it.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I first tried this at a Fiddich tasting and purchased it there. Just got around to picking up my order. I forget what they said about the Solera but will look into it for you. It is extremely tasty. Yes the Doublewood is a fantastic scotch.

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Options
    Ken Light:
    90+ Irishman:
    matkn293:
    photo 0CC1B3CC-B876-4418-A7B7-732DF94838AA_zpsnwwhxkog.jpg
    FTG Brett and by virtue of how Brett got it, Rick (RCY Cigars) introduced me to the 15 year, that is such a smooth, sweet and delightful single malt, it's currently tied with Cragganmore 12 year for my all time fav single malt. Congrats Matkn, great great buy!!!
    Interesting note on the Glenfiddich Solera. The details are hazy because I read up on this months ago so I'm forgetting names and details, but the same guy made both this and Balvenie Doublewood, and both use the same process, or cask, or something like that, and whatever he did first was the first to do it. Maybe it was using two casks? I wish I remembered. Point being, though, Brett if you liked this and are on the fence about Doublewood, get down off that fence and try it.
    Done, next scotch I get will definitely be the Balvenie now, thanks for the info!
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The DW is quite good!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    matkn293:
    I first tried this at a Fiddich tasting and purchased it there. Just got around to picking up my order. I forget what they said about the Solera but will look into it for you. It is extremely tasty. Yes the Doublewood is a fantastic scotch.
    Found it, his name is David Stewart, and each represented the first of a new process. For doublewood it was "finishing", using a second cask, and he was the first to use a solera cask for the fiddich.

Little more about him here

First found out about him when Balvenie released their 50 year old ($38k/bottle!) whisky months back, which you can Read about here
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    The Solera vats use a method in which scotch that has been aged in bourbon barrels and sherry barrels are mixed and then finished in a new oak cask. The solera vat is never more than half empty. They then refill so in essence you have a blend of scotch that has traces of the same scotch only many years older.

• Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    ohh booze thread. yea! I say 2014 was mainly understanding more scotch. I stayed in highlands for a while. really digging campleton stuff now. Spring Bank has been awesome. Like some peat monsters too but it has to be getting a good dose of sherry casking. Lagavulin Distiller's Edition comes to mind. In terms of bourbon... I'm mainly going through bottles of buillit rye to make manhattans with.
  • Options
    JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    amz1301:
    JHewey:
    The last 6 months i have kind of gone off the deep end with buying bourbon. All these were bought in last 6 months except angels envy and elijah craig 12yr. Birthday Bourbon was a gift from a great brother.

So which ones your favorite out of those Justin? I'm looking for something with caramel, maple, pecan notes. I'm not looking to get that infused stuff either.
    Lot B, Angels Envy and Smooth Ambler Old Scout. Sorry I don't always remember to check forum. Also picked up a store select four roses single barrel that I'm looking forward to trying maybe this weekend.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Seems with the current craze for American bourbon, myself included, :O) Theres some Highly Rated Scotch Whisky thats getting overlooked, not by me though, ,no no no.
  • Options
    photos
    photo 20150108_154021.jpg
    photo 20150108_154032.jpg
  • Options
    amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    Stumbled onto to these yesterday. Just got an e-mail flyer from a local liquor store today too for Lagavulin 16 on sale for $49. How can you pass that up.

photo FBCF47CF-339F-4EC7-A755-49DCD03AD92C_zpsi1mgcb9j.jpg
  • Options
    amz1301:
    Stumbled onto to these yesterday. Just got an e-mail flyer from a local liquor store today too for Lagavulin 16 on sale for $49. How can you pass that up.

Holy batsneakers that's a great price on the Lagavulin,, Id hop all over that one!!!! I was looking at that one just recently but it was like 89bucks,, and My budget is already WAY overextended.. Ramen for next six month fersure
  • Options
    The Kid:
    amz1301:

Holy batsneakers that's a great price on the Lagavulin,, Id hop all over that one!!!! I was looking at that one just recently but it was like 89bucks,, and My budget is already WAY overextended.. Ramen for next six month fersure
    I hear ya Rudy it's tight right now too with my latest craze lol. Awesome pick ups though Andy and Rudy that's some great looking scotch and whiskey ;)
  • Options
    D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    photos
    photo 20150108_154021.jpg
    photo 20150108_154032.jpg
    Very Nice. I'm getting jealous of all these photos!
  • Options
    amz1301:

Some good looking bottles right there, especially like the Glenfiddich
  • Options
    D Fresh:
    amz1301:

Some good looking bottles right there, especially like the Glenfiddich
    21 years of peaty single malt ****... Yeah that's fair.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    All this talk about glenfiddich 15 I picked one up on the way home, grrrreat dram!!! I agree with previous comments that if you live Balvenie Doublewood.... Don't think twice about buying this!photo 0F9FE45B-0ED9-4561-B3C0-66FD3DA96B14.jpg
  • Options
    jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    This thread makes me realize how much I need to step up my booze game. Just never really got into Scotch/Whisky/Bourbon and usually have a bottle of Rum (just finished off a bottle of Kraken I had for a while) for having with a Mexican Coke here and there and a couple other things. Would be nice to get more into it but like Cigars it can definitely be overwhelming fo sho.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    Got my self a bottle of johnnie walker blue label today. Will definitely appreciate it more with a beautiful opus x later on this month.
  • Options
    jimmyv723:
    This thread makes me realize how much I need to step up my booze game. Just never really got into Scotch/Whisky/Bourbon and usually have a bottle of Rum (just finished off a bottle of Kraken I had for a while) for having with a Mexican Coke here and there and a couple other things. Would be nice to get more into it but like Cigars it can definitely be overwhelming fo sho.
    Resist if you can! I keep telling myself I have to find cheaper hobbies LOL. It's definitely a little overwhelming at first, especially given how much is out there. Like the craft beer boom, the same is happening with Bourbon it seems. New ones keep popping up.
  • Options
    Jcapone:
    Got my self a bottle of johnnie walker blue label today. Will definitely appreciate it more with a beautiful opus x later on this month.
    Sounds like a good plan. I generally prefer single malt but the Johnnie Blue is good stuff.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63:
    All this talk about glenfiddich 15 I picked one up on the way home, grrrreat dram!!! I agree with previous comments that if you live Balvenie Doublewood.... Don't think twice about buying this!photo 0F9FE45B-0ED9-4561-B3C0-66FD3DA96B14.jpg
    You guys are killing me! I'm gonna have to stop by a store and pick some up :)
  • Options
    D Fresh:
    Jetmech_63:
    I've been threatened with divorce if I don't wait until payday next Friday to buy anything else.
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    D Fresh:
    Jetmech_63:
    I've been threatened with divorce if I don't wait until payday next Friday to buy anything else.
    Its always fun to tempt them isn't it?
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    avengethis:
    90+ Irishman:
    D Fresh:
    Jetmech_63:
    Its always fun to tempt them isn't it?
    LMAO yeah but I like my nookie too much to go too far with that joke.
  • Options
    That it is. But I'm definitely thinking of getting a bottle of glenfiddich.
  • Options
    Another great one is Jameson Black Barrel.

• Options
    WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Picked these up last night. Still my favorite all time single barrel - Knob Creek. and wanted a taste of the turkey as well...
    IMG_4855