Home General Discussion
Options

What Booze Did You Get Today?

Comments

• Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice Walt! I've yet to try the Knob creek lines, but I suspect they are quite good. Money just seems to go to other labels first to build the "collection" first hahaha. As for the Wild Trukey, that's one near and dear to my heart and honestly a great drink for the price point. Pops first introduced me to the Turkey when I was wrapping up HS over Xmas break at family parties by mixing it with ginger ale, still one of my fav cocktails simply for the taste and memories alone :)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    OMFG Walt...can't wait to try the reserve. I looooooooove the regular knob creek KS. I think that and Buffalo trace are my favorites for cigars.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    New glasses. Gonna try with somr Talisker and DPG cuban classic. image
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Very cool Greg, let me know if you like the Neat glass or Glencairn better! Actually I wouldn't be surprised if there were some libations that you enjoyed best from the Neat glass and others from the Glencairn..... Hmmmm.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    Very cool Greg, let me know if you like the Neat glass or Glencairn better! Actually I wouldn't be surprised if there were some libations that you enjoyed best from the Neat glass and others from the Glencairn..... Hmmmm.
    Exactly what I'm trying to see. I had some Talisker last night in the glencairn. I can tell that this neat glass cools off the alcohol tingle. I think it's a little easier to pick out the layers with this new glass. A real warm caramel, but also a fresh citrusy note. Very fun to compare. I will have to do side by sides sometime.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    90+ Irishman:
    Exactly what I'm trying to see. I had some Talisker last night in the glencairn. I can tell that this neat glass cools off the alcohol tingle. I think it's a little easier to pick out the layers with this new glass. A real warm caramel, but also a fresh citrusy note. Very fun to compare. I will have to do side by sides sometime.
    Awesome thanks for the heads up, certainly will want to try that myself. Ken is sending me one of the Glencairn glasses, will have to track down a Neat one later on to do that. Thanks for the info man awesome :)
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    gift photo IMG_20150110_170555103_zpsynoojd7b.jpg

My wife came home from a girls day out that included a wine tasting and brought me all this. A syrah from France and a malbec in the coolest wine bottle I've ever seen. Oh, and when she handed me the stuff in the middle she said, "now, go smoke a cigar before it gets any colder."
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Martel:

My wife came home from a girls day out that included a wine tasting and brought me all this. A syrah from France and a malbec in the coolest wine bottle I've ever seen. Oh, and when she handed me the stuff in the middle she said, "now, go smoke a cigar before it gets any colder."
    Fiddich' 15 is great!
  • Options
    Jetmech_63:
    Martel:

Fiddich' 15 is great!
    That's a real keeper there to bring you a bottle of 15 year Fiddich! Not a huge wine person, but when I do drink it I like reds and the Malbecs I really enjoy as well as the Pinots. Congrats and enjoy man :)
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    This thread is about to single-handedly raise the price of that Solera...
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Lmao you might be onto something there Ken, that ones been bought and shown in here more than any other hooch so far hahaha.
  • Options
    Amanda surprised me with this today, found it on a flash sale for $13 after tax out the door. Pretty excited to try this, read a rumor it's 10 years aged but there's no age statement on the bottle... Hmmm

• Options
    Ken Light:
    This thread is about to single-handedly raise the price of that Solera...
    Funny enough Ken I just found an add for a local place selling that Solera for $49.99/bottle lol
  • Options
    amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    90+ Irishman:
    Amanda surprised me with this today, found it on a flash sale for $13 after tax out the door. Pretty excited to try this, read a rumor it's 10 years aged but there's no age statement on the bottle... Hmmm

Let me know what you think of that Brett. I saw it on sale too the other day. I like the EW white label BIB. Picked these up the other day didn't get a chance to post.

photo 6510D85D-4D4B-4F05-BD5A-DB4582976192_zpslfnniqx9.jpg
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I found the Quinta ruban to hve a reply pronounced alcohol edge... Could have just been my bottle... Let us know what you think!
  • Options
    Jetmech_63:
    I found the Quinta ruban to hve a reply pronounced alcohol edge... Could have just been my bottle... Let us know what you think!
    Will do.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63:
    Dunno might have just been your bottle Vinny and if so sorry to hear that, I've got a bottle that's about 1/3 gone and it's very good, sweet and quite smooth. Easy to drink neat or with a splash for me. My palate is still fairly unrefined with hooch but the cigar palate does help some and carry over. Personally I really really likely bottle of it. Congrats though Andy and enjoy! I have heard several good things about the Lagavulin, very nice ;)
  • Options
    amz1301:
    90+ Irishman:

Let me know what you think of that Brett. I saw it on sale too the other day. I like the EW white label BIB. Picked these up the other day didn't get a chance to post.

Thanks Andy, I poured a dram a little earlier and have been sipping on it. Tried my hand at putting thoughts to ink and here's what I came up with....

Nose: Caramel and refined sugar, a bit of sweet corn and a touch of oak. Not overly complex but still an enjoyable nose, nearly zero alcohol hint.

Palate: Smooth and a bit of a light syrup mouth feel, seems thin at first but thickens up at the finish when the burn shows up which is a nice slow warming burn. Tastes a touch young and a bit watered down (probably because I prefer 100+ proof neat), but it's definitely a sweeter bourbon and has notes of raisin, vanilla, caramel and oak. The finish is clean and short sadly, however the burn lingers on the palate and a fruity caramel lingers. For $13 this is a great find and easy to drink neat if you don't want to try to pay attention closely to what you're sipping on. If you want something to hold your attention it doesn't have the complexity to do so but very easy to drink and wouldn't feel bad for an instant if it was mixed.

PS - It actually opens up and a bit more boldness and black pepper comes to play if you let it sit for 30 min to 1 hr.

• Options
    90+ Irishman:
    amz1301:
    90+ Irishman:

Thanks Andy, I poured a dram a little earlier and have been sipping on it. Tried my hand at putting thoughts to ink and here's what I came up with....

Nose: Caramel and refined sugar, a bit of sweet corn and a touch of oak. Not overly complex but still an enjoyable nose, nearly zero alcohol hint.

Palate: Smooth and a bit of a light syrup mouth feel, seems thin at first but thickens up at the finish when the burn shows up which is a nice slow warming burn. Tastes a touch young and a bit watered down (probably because I prefer 100+ proof neat), but it's definitely a sweeter bourbon and has notes of raisin, vanilla, caramel and oak. The finish is clean and short sadly, however the burn lingers on the palate and a fruity caramel lingers. For $13 this is a great find and easy to drink neat if you don't want to try to pay attention closely to what you're sipping on. If you want something to hold your attention it doesn't have the complexity to do so but very easy to drink and wouldn't feel bad for an instant if it was mixed.

PS - It actually opens up and a bit more boldness and black pepper comes to play if you let it sit for 30 min to 1 hr.

Interesting that they bottled at 10 years if that's true. At 12 Evan Williams become Elijah Craig.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    90+ Irishman:
    amz1301:
    90+ Irishman:

Interesting that they bottled at 10 years if that's true. At 12 Evan Williams become Elijah Craig.
    When I read the online blurb it said 10 years aged, however there is no age statement on the bottle.... I really don't think its 10 years otherwise it'd be plastered all over the bottle. I think it's closer to 4-6 years, but hey what do I know?
  • Options
    90+ Irishman:
    Ken Light:
    90+ Irishman:
    amz1301:
    90+ Irishman:

When I read the online blurb it said 10 years aged, however there is no age statement on the bottle.... I really don't think its 10 years otherwise it'd be plastered all over the bottle. I think it's closer to 4-6 years, but hey what do I know?
    That's a huge problem with bourbon...no one knows!! No transparency at all. ...Or is it the mystique that makes it fun?
  • Options
    90+ Irishman:
    amz1301:
    90+ Irishman:

Have you tried the EW white Bottled in bond? I think that's 100 proof plus it has to be at least 4 yrs. Pretty good bargain at around $13.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    90+ Irishman:
    Ken Light:
    90+ Irishman:
    amz1301:
    90+ Irishman:

That's a huge problem with bourbon...no one knows!! No transparency at all. ...Or is it the mystique that makes it fun?
    It's similar in many ways to the cigar world honestly. Half of it is the hype and stories and media/marketing and some of it is extremely frustrating not knowing anything. Same as cigars.
  • Options
    matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to be extremely careful with some of the newer bourbons on the market. A good deal of them are not distilled by the people bottling them at all. Some by bulk blends from a main distillery (there is a rather large one in Indiana) and the package it with a fancy label.

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Options
    amz1301:
    90+ Irishman:
    amz1301:
    90+ Irishman:

Have you tried the EW white Bottled in bond? I think that's 100 proof plus it has to be at least 4 yrs. Pretty good bargain at around $13.
    No I havent, this is actually my first foray into Evan Williams stuff. Though I do want to try that and the Single Barrel as well. Thanks for adding it to my radar sounds great especially at that price :)
  • Options
    matkn293:
    You have to be extremely careful with some of the newer bourbons on the market. A good deal of them are not distilled by the people bottling them at all. Some by bulk blends from a main distillery (there is a rather large one in Indiana) and the package it with a fancy label.
    I've read that in several different blogs and sites, sad to hear and that's too bad but thanks for the heads up. Oh and congrats on 1K posts Matkn!!!
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    General discussion on cigars, brands, makers and everything in between!
  • Options
    thehilkthehilk Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    A non cheese post? Wtf? Lol
  • Options
    Rain:
    This is one of those "and everything in between" topics. Hooch and including what cigar(s) pair well. Tat Le Verite 2008 Churchill is so far my fav pairing with any of the drinks I've done. ;)
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    Rain:
    This is one of those "and everything in between" topics. Hooch and including what cigar(s) pair well. Tat Le Verite 2008 Churchill is so far my fav pairing with any of the drinks I've done. ;)
    This...is allowed. Play ball!