Home Non Cigar Related

JD's Pet/Animal/Rescue/Adopt thread

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
I think I may have mentioned I prefer animals to humans 99% of the time. And I won't hesitate to remind everyone to help out rescue and adoption centers. My hat is off to all of you who do, I know who you are.

I am glad to see on the news and social media that there seems to be a growing concern for abused and abandoned pets and more and more people are getting involved with boots on the ground. It is a good thing and long overdue.

I don't know where they came from or when, but it seems we have some new rescues
1. One tiny little kitty with targets er um circles on both sides. She is the quietest and best behaved cat you could want and she loves bacon. She can stay.
2. Can't remember if I mentioned the 2 humongous rabbits that no one bothered to check the sex on and we now have 5, they are fosters.
3. I also just found out we are soon to take in a miniature Arabian for fostering. The pictures of the horse when he/she was rescued was enough to make me want to beat the cr@p out of someone and then do it again. So, everyone is getting together in the next three months to build a fenced in shelter so the horse can be moved here.

Comments

• First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lady, our Mountain Feist Border Collie mix was rescued by us a year ago. She has gained ten pounds since then and is Queen of her realm. image She does like her green ball. image
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Warrior:
    Lady, our Mountain Feist Border Collie mix was rescued by us a year ago. She has gained ten pounds since then and is Queen of her realm. image She does like her green ball. image

You got to quit sending them balls to us old people. I am just not able to crawl under the bed any more, and of course that is where it always ends up. They still have not broke the thing which is just short of amazing.
    oops
    ,,,,someone left the bacon strip bag open and they dried out. Popped in a Boveda bag and 24 hours later they were OK again.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    The Trenton Thunder use a dog instead of a bat boy. Forgot how the new code works, but here is a quick video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-cl=85114404&x-yt-ts=1422579428&v=PGKFGo8cIj4
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We rescued Emily, a.k.a. "Scoop," about five years ago...

"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – February 4, 2015 – Valparaiso, IN – J.J. Fuds in Valparaiso, IN is expanding their recall to include all lots and products of J.J. Fuds Chicken Tender Chunks, Beef Tender Chunks and Duckling Tender Chunks Pet Food because it has the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes and or Salmonella, organisms which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, Listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women. Salmonella can affect animals eating the products and there is risk to humans from handling contaminated pet products, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with the products or any surfaces exposed to these products.
    Took her to the vet for pregnancy avoidance operation and she is sooo sore. Darn good thing we did because she had a sis-tic(?) situation on her re-productive parts. Must have been huge because she looks like she lost about 5 lps. She will be fine in a few days, but for now she wags her tail and waits patiently for me to lift her in and out of my bed.

She gets ice cream tonight.
    This is Abby. One of two Dorky s that live with us now.

Here is the other one.

• CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    Great photo.
    I have seen it on IMGUR, but refused to believe it.

Our three cats have made a pact with the dogs, and the conspiracy came into full bloom yesterday.

The cats are knocking things off the tables and shelves for the dogs. It started yesterday at one end of the house and while we slept last night they worked their way to the other end of the house. A full bag of bacon strips (48oz) and a full bag of chicken strips (American made) were the last things to go. Anything that the dogs could eat, chew or generally dismantle fell prey. I mentioned it to my wife (fully expecting to be laughed at, and she said "OMG" I thought I was imagining things". We both had previously noticed they were forming little groups, and as soon as we walk in they dispersed.

Beware, and keep a close eye on your dogs and cats, this could be serious. The thought of millions of dogs and cats getting together and forming alliances is frightening.

We first noticed a change when my step daughter and her 2 Dorkies moved in.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    I have seen it on IMGUR, but refused to believe it.

Our three cats have made a pact with the dogs, and the conspiracy came into full bloom yesterday.

The cats are knocking things off the tables and shelves for the dogs. It started yesterday at one end of the house and while we slept last night they worked their way to the other end of the house. A full bag of bacon strips (48oz) and a full bag of chicken strips (American made) were the last things to go. Anything that the dogs could eat, chew or generally dismantle fell prey. I mentioned it to my wife (fully expecting to be laughed at, and she said "OMG" I thought I was imagining things". We both had previously noticed they were forming little groups, and as soon as we walk in they dispersed.

Beware, and keep a close eye on your dogs and cats, this could be serious. The thought of millions of dogs and cats getting together and forming alliances is frightening.

We first noticed a change when my step daughter and her 2 Dorkies moved in.
    Haha. Were the cats eating it too or were they so bored they just knocked the stuff over to watch the dogs make a mess ?
    The Dorkies are spending a lot of time in my room watching me. They are not wanting petting or treats....they are just quiet and watching. I am going to sleep with my door closed.
    I need to make a clarification in a thread I posted in and can not find.

Pit Bulls are responsible for more deaths then any other dog. But German Shepherds are responsible for more attacks.

If you think about who owns the dogs, what they are trained for, and what they are used (and miss-used) for it makes sense.
    I had no idea it was this bad.

http://imgur.com/gallery/zKqs2
  • SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    Just want to say thank you for this thread, not enough people treat/love animals like they should KUDOS :)
    SM0K3Y:
    Just want to say thank you for this thread, not enough people treat/love animals like they should KUDOS :)

You are obviously an extremely intelligent individual. Thank you.
    A Weimaraner. This dog was originally a guest to be trained. The guy that bought her did not understand what kind of dog he is and that he is still a puppy. So after 2 months of paying to have him trained, and then thinking he could leave the dog at home alone for as long as 36 hours he gave him to us. Yesterday Max had his no more puppy's operation and an ID implant. Does not seem to have slowed him down one little bit. Here he is with Abby, Shaggy (instigators) and Cally. I was always told that they were not very smart but after being around him, and doing some research I know that is totally wrong. He is smart and easy to train. Still a clumsy puppy though.image
  • EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like you're amassing a small animal army.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    I need to make a clarification in a thread I posted in and can not find.

Pit Bulls are responsible for more deaths then any other dog. But German Shepherds are responsible for more attacks.

If you think about who owns the dogs, what they are trained for, and what they are used (and miss-used) for it makes sense.
    We have a pit (well, he's American Pit, Mastiff and lab).
    He's a big baby. Afraid of his own shadow.
    But smart as a whip.

If any dog is trained properly, there shouldn't be any problems.
    It's those dogs (any breed), that are abused, improperly trained or trained for the wrong reasons that become problems.
    More often than not, it is the people who create the problem.
    Just my opinion.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is for JD. Didn't know where else to put it .....

Police dog saves partner’s life after ambush attack in Mississippi woods

Published May 27, 2015

A police dog is being hailed a hero after the K9 saved the life of a Mississippi sheriff's deputy, ripping into the men authorities say dragged the officer into the woods Monday in an ambush attack.

A manhunt is under way Wednesday for the three suspects who beat Hancock County Sheriff's Deputy Todd Frazier and slashed him with a box cutter, The Clarion-Ledger reported.

"They told him they were going to slit his throat, and they were dragging him toward the woods," Chief Deputy Don Bass told the newspaper.

Frazier's life was saved Monday by his K9 partner, Lucas, a black Belgian Malinois who police say chased the assailants down before they could slit Frazier's throat, according to the newspaper. 

"He had blood all over him."

- Sheriff Ricky Adam

Authorities said Frazier was able to activate the button that opens the door to his vehicle, releasing Lucas. Sheriff Ricky Adam told the newspaper the dog bit at least one, possibly two, of the suspects.

"We don't know how many he got, we just know he had blood all over him," Adam said. 

The attack happened Monday when Frazier got out of his car to inspect a blue Lincoln Town Car with a darker vinyl top that was sitting at a rest stop, according to the newspaper. The driver appeared to be alone and the car's lights were off. 

"When he got out, two other people came out of the woods right by the vehicle, and he backed up and fell, and it was on then," Adam told the paper.

Man's Best Friend: Service Dog Throws Self in Bus' Path to Protect Blind Owner

Published June 10, 2015

WNYW MyFoxNY

Published June 10, 2015 | Associated Press

BREWSTER, N.Y. –  A service dog threw himself in front of a mini school bus to try to protect his blind owner and stayed by her side as emergency responders tended to the injured pair, authorities said.

Both Figo, the golden retriever, and his owner, Audrey Stone, were on the mend Tuesday, a day after the collision with the mini school bus in Brewster.

Police photos of Monday's crash showed fur stuck to the bus' front wheel, according to the Journal News

"The dog took a lot of the blow," Brewster Police Chief John Del Gardo said. "And he did not want to leave her side. He stood right with her. He was there to save her."

The driver said he didn't see the pair crossing the road. He was given a summons for failing to yield to a pedestrian. The two kindergarteners on the bus weren't injured.

Had to post a larger photo from @jlmarta because it is that funny.

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Earlier today I was getting ready to brag on my cat but she blew it. I used to take her out in the yard when I go out for a stogie but she learned how to slip any escape-proof harness on the market. I tried 'em all. So she was banished to the house for a time. 

Then I bought a small choke collar and tried her with it. After a couple attempts she learned about how they work. So, after taking her out a couple times with the choke collar I started just hooking her up to her regular collar. It took her a couple weeks before she tried slipping it this morning. She got off it. So now, I can't brag on her. I'll have to give her a refresher course on the choker. 

I hate doing it but where Iive I don't dare let her run loose. Oh, well..... B)