Home Non Cigar Related
Options

JD's Pet/Animal/Rescue/Adopt thread

Comments

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have a 150 pound dog and we got him one at PetSmart.  We were lucky and got the last one that fit him.  I don't remember the brand and it is not on the harness.  We had our dog with us and just tried it on him.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    150 pounds.....???
    Did you try a tack shop for horse harnesses?
    I thought 70 pounds was large. I think that is bigger then some of our rescue horses.
    Would love to see a photo if he will let you take one.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You must hear the question "who's walking who" all the time. 
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    He and his brother (139 lbs.) have taken me for a drag on a couple of occasions.  They love small dogs and I was walking both of them on wet grass when they spotted a little puppy.  They took me off my feet, I did a face plant in the grass and then tore my rotator cuff.  His brother has since passed with kidney cancer, but this one does not walk really well.

He does indeed take me for a walk.  The good news is that we have a large fenced in yard, so he can run and we don't have to take him on the street much.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YankeeMan said:
    We have a 150 pound dog and we got him one at PetSmart.  We were lucky and got the last one that fit him.  I don't remember the brand and it is not on the harness.  We had our dog with us and just tried it on him.
    Which is why we are having a bit of a time locating something good.
    Our dog is Pit, Mastiff and lab, so he is a little on the muscular side and larger than most pits and labs. Most harnesses don't fit him well.

We are gonna try one of those that @jgibv recommended.
    Hopefully, an XL size will not bite into him.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options

Sophie was one of the three dogs who lived under my desk. She was a nervous wreck. When it stormed I would get shaken awake because she would lean against my bed she shook so much it moved the entire thing. So, I would sit up with her and hold her until the storm passed and she could relax. She was an outside dog until a really bad storm hit and she escaped the fenced in area, we had no idea how much it bothered her at the time. We searched for weeks and finally gave up. A lot of months later my step daughter Amanda was a couple of miles up the road talking to a friend who mentioned a dog with one white eye in the woods. Amanda came home got my wife went looking. As soon as they called for Sophie and she came out of the woods and rolled on her back for a belly rub. It was probably her "nerves" that kept her alive, and only when she heard a familiar voice did she respond.
    She had the silkiest fur and would bark when she ate, she never made a sound otherwise unless she wanted to come back in the house. She would turn down her favorite treat until she got petted first. She was never a problem, slightly bonkers and we all loved her. R.I.P. Ole Girl.....We will miss you.
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did she pass today? I’m sorry brother.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh Brother, so sorry for your loss. Been down that road too many times. Dogs, cats, and a couple of parrots. RIP Sophie. She's crossed The Rainbow Bridge and will be waiting for you.
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RIP. Sophie. Next smoke will be in her honor and for your comfort while you grieve the loss of her. 
  • Options
    AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So sorry for your loss. It was great you got her back.
  • Options
    So sorry for your loss, they are our furry kids.
  • Options
    FDA Warning: Store-Bought ‘Bone Treats’ Could Kill Your Dog

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-recall/fda-warning-store-bought-bone-treats-could-kill-your-dog/

I use to buy short ribs from an American seller of American produced or made products. Not any more, too many horror stories
    And we do our best to never buy Chinese pet food of any type of kind.

• Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭✭✭

The FDA warning reminded me:  Do not ever let your dog play with a tennis ball made in China.  I was speaking with one of our Generals at her residence when I noticed that her lab had silver teeth.  When I asked about it, she told me the dog love to chase tennis balls. Her late husband bought a bunch from Walmart and the dog chased, caught and chewed them.  One day the dog wouldn't eat. Notice her mouth was swollen and took her to the vet and had to have surgery on her gums and mouth from fiberglass fibers infecting her.  Had to remove several teeth, replacement doggy dentures were made of what looked like stainless steel.  No tennis balls for dogs!!!!

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang, a good warning.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-recall/darwins-dog-food-recall-december-2017/

Darwin’s Dog Food Recall of December 2017
    December 8, 2017 — Darwin’s Natural Pet Products of Tukwila, Washington, has notified distributors that it is recalling select lots of its Darwin’s Natural Selections dog food due to possible contamination with Salmonella bacteria.

The product was shipped to distributors between September and early October 2017.
    The affected product includes the following:
    Natural Selections Turkey Meals for Dogs
    Net wt 2 lbs
    Lot #39937
    Manufacture date 08/24/17
    Natural Selections Duck Meals for Dogs
    Net wt 2 lbs
    Lot #40487
    Manufacture date 09/29/17

• Options

Just Food For Dogs Dog Food Recall of January 2018

January 15, 2018 — Just Food For Dogs of Los Alamitos, CA, has advised its customers that the company is voluntarily recalling specific recipes of its cooked frozen dog food due to possible contamination with Listeria monocytogenes bacteria.

What’s Recalled?

We have reached out to the company for details.

However, as of this writing, no further information has been made available to The Dog Food Advisor.

The following products appear to be affected by this recall event:

• JustFoodForDogs Turducken
      All batch dates
    • Beef and Russet Potato
      All batch dates
    • Fish and Sweet Potato
      All batch dates
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    TruDogTruDog Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...THANKS...  Great thread, first time seeing.
  • Options
    TruDogTruDog Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Echambers said:
    I don't think I've every shared my story in this thread.  Last year we adopted Champ, a Six year old St. Bernard. Here is his story:

Lynden man guilty of elder, dog abuse, sentenced to mental counseling, ban on pets.

Here he is now:

@Echambers ....You RoCK Bro.  Beautiful Pup. 
  • Options
  • Options
    We got this guy from a shelter here in San Luis Obispo. He was a rescue from Louisiana when the hurricanes hit. We named him Louis. They had 4 boys and we were lucky enough to get him. My 2 year old and him are 2 peas in a pod as you can see!

That is the cutest pair ever!

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Smucker's recall (above post) a much bigger story. READ READ READ

Euthanasia drug found in dog food, already blamed for one doggie death

http://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/2018/02/16/euthanasia-drug-found-in-dog-food-already-blamed-for-one-doggie-death.html

Talula’s meal from Evanger’s, Smucker's announced Feb. 15 that it is voluntarily recalling shipments of Gravy Train, Kibbles ‘N Bits, Ol’ Roy, and Skippy dog food over pentobarbital-related concerns. After testing 62 samples of wet dog food from over 24 brands for pentobarbital multiple times over several months, just one brand repeatedly tested positive for pentobarbital with sixty percent of samples coming back positive: Gravy Train.

• Options
    ANOTHER PET FOOD RECALL

FDA Expands Nationwide Beefy Munchies Dog Treats Recall

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-recall/fda-expands-beefy-munchies-dog-treats-recall/

• Options

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YankeeMan said:
    We got this guy from a shelter here in San Luis Obispo. He was a rescue from Louisiana when the hurricanes hit. We named him Louis. They had 4 boys and we were lucky enough to get him. My 2 year old and him are 2 peas in a pod as you can see!

That is the cutest pair ever!

That looks just like my girl, Ezra. All the way down to the white patch on the chest. Those are some really sweet pictures.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...