Home Non Cigar Related
Options

JD's Pet/Animal/Rescue/Adopt thread

Comments

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep. Tried that style, too. She's a regular Houdini....

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. We have had a couple of dogs that proved to be a problem when it came to collars but a harness type has never failed. Surgically......? :D
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say go with the Spike & Stud. 
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Bob_Luken said:
    I say go with the Spike & Stud. 
    I could be wrong but it appears to me that the spikes and studs are on the outside of the harness, not the inside, where they would injure the animal wearing it. That being said, I don't see the advantage of the spikes and studs other than looks or protecting the wearer from other attacking animals. 

I use a choker so that it doesn't hurt my cat. I'd never leave her outside wearing it without me being right there in case of a problem. The choker is only a deterrent, not a punishment...  B
  • Options
    :# jd50ae said:
    Wow. We have had a couple of dogs that proved to be a problem when it came to collars but a harness type has never failed. Surgically......?
    Hee hee. What are you suggesting, JD?  Quadruple amputation??  :#
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options

This is Growler, one of our rescues and loved by everyone. She is one of our original rescues and is about 10 years old. She went missing for 5 days. The search was on and no one gave up. We finally found her at the bottom of a small ravine. She had someone else's collar on her and she could not stand up. Of course she was hungry and thirsty. We carried her home, fed and gave her water. Let her sleep over night and took her to the vets the next day. She could get up on her front legs but her back legs didn't work. The vet could find nothing wrong. The x-rays showed nothing. They gave her some neurological meds but they did not help. Brought her home and made her as comfortable as possible. We had to carry her outside to do her business, she always let us know when it was time. She would scoot along the ground to do her business so she would stay clean. After about 4 weeks, daily massages and working with her constantly she learned to "walk" if we lifted up her hind parts so she could stand. Eventually she learned a sort of jump to get up on all four. She also taught us to take her to a little hill and she would face up the hill, do her business and it rolled down hill. Smart dog. She is getting better all the time and we have high hopes she will learn to walk again.
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All our dogs come from shelters, they seem to appreciate their home more.  This is Earl, our oldest dog, "helping" me in the yard yesterday.  He's a regular on the vHerf.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like you worked poor Earl to death @Yakster
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    You know, I have always believed that dogs are a lot smarter then any of us believe. I have seen, a number of times, that dogs just like Earl will take naps when we are working in the yard. I think they are really pretending to be napping just to stay out of the way.
  • Options
    arch72arch72 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭✭
    It's all in the training really you have him well trained bother :) 
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I really wish that animal shelters and places selling dogs would make the people pay for and participate in a basic training class for dogs.

I'm sorry, but it is my opinion that folks shouldn't own a dog with knowing how to properly train and care for a dog and those people need to fully understand how much time a dog requires, especially a puppy.

I see more people get a dog, then when it chews things up, destroys furniture and all that, they blame the dog. It isn't the dogs fault, it us theirs. They didn't spend the time with it and most don't realize that if they have a busy life and aren't always home, they have no business getting a puppy.
    Get a dog who is well trained.

Training involves spending a lot of time with them, teaching them what you want them to do and providing healthy and engaging treats.

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    @0patience Agree with you 100%.

My wife and niece while on the way back from the grocery store last night picked up another stray. Very small black and white male about 2 years old. Came running out of the woods across the road and fell down. My wife scooped him up and brought the poor thing home, she could hear a pack of larger dogs in the woods.

Posted the dogs photo online and we got an answer. The XXXXX XXXXX  that had him moved, and abandoned the little guy.

Since it is now a felony to abuse pets I would love to see a law mandating ID chips, then this XXXXX XXXXX could be arrested and charged.
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, ID chips do little to help retrieve a dog from being taken, their best use is to fine the owner and return the dog if it ends up in a shelter, but if your dog is taken you have little hope of getting them back even if the new owner takes the dog to the vet and the chip is scanned.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    Unfortunately, ID chips do little to help retrieve a dog from being taken, their best use is to fine the owner and return the dog if it ends up in a shelter, but if your dog is taken you have little hope of getting them back even if the new owner takes the dog to the vet and the chip is scanned.
    Really? I thought that there was a database setup where you can register your dog's number as missing and it would easily alert the vet or shelter to that fact if the dog is scanned later on. 
  • Options
    It comes down to how much a vet is willing to do. We keep in touch with a lot of good folks that really care about animals and they have many many stories about how well the chips have worked. I know of at least one local cop that could return a much loved, and very scruffy dog to its human family and the idiot that stole him and refused to give the dog up went to jail.

Every time we take one of our rescues to the vet we check for the chip, and if there isn't one, we have it done.
  • Options
    I think we already found a home for the little stray my wife brought home last night. He fell in love with my niece and went home with her. But, it is a look see kinda thing...
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Well it appears that all of the TLC and massages have paid off. Growler is now walking with out assistance. We returned her to the wild but she learned that there is food and treat and rubs in the house. She has also taken to her warm and comfortable bed, and returns every couple of hours and at night for sleeping. She is a very happy dog.
  • Options
    Bat-mastersonBat-masterson Posts: 62 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    This big girl have had her about year and a half, 7 year old mastiff.
    Have a little over 8k in to her health.
  • Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started feeding these stray/feral cats. It was really cold out and I felt bad for them.
    It started out with one or two now there is 6!!! I've been trying to some what domesticate them. I have been successful domesticating one of them and here's the lion king of the pride I've been working on. I named this one Brusk.

Goal is to get them all fixed and vaccinated really hope Brusk stays around. Hopefully they can be adopted by a loving family if they don't run off after getting taken into the veterinarian.
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    arch72arch72 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    This is our cat she just turned one year old her name is Casper because she will follow you like a  ghost lol

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This big girl have had her about year and a half, 7 year old mastiff.
    Have a little over 8k in to her health.
    That is one gorgeous dog!
  • Options
    RolanddeschainRolanddeschain Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife and I are dog groomers. We see the results of "designer" breeds on a daily basis. I wish people would rescue dogs but all too often they pay 1000-1500 for mutts and then wonder why their dog has hip dysplasia at age 2.... if you're breeding dogs for money alone you're breeding for the wrong reasons......
    Long days and pleasant nights,

Roland
  • Options
    NjbowNjbow Posts: 62 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Cigar thief in action, notice she's telling me to look away with a grin on her face as long as she doesn't want my bourbon I don't mind smoking with her lol
  • Options
    My wife actually found 2 homes for 4 Tom Turkeys. Thought for sure we would have them forever. Definitely the prettiest turkeys I have ever seen.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We get all kinds of animals that seem to just move in.
    A while back, this little guy decided to take up residency in our garage.
    Where he came from, we aren't sure. Ended up giving him to some folks who needed another rooster for their hens.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Meet Annie. Still a puppy. Along with her brother Angus they keep predators away. They are the prettiest dogs I have ever seen.