Options

JD's Pet/Animal/Rescue/Adopt thread

123457»

Comments

• Options
    HawkeyeHawkeye Posts: 246 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    jd50ae said:
    I had a ex that wanted me to wear that spike and stud number. 

My (now 13yo) yapper is a rescue. Always wanted a big dog, but this guy really needed a good home 11 years ago. 
    Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Hawkeye
    We started our with med to big dogs. A couple of little ones were in a precarious situation and we rescued them only to learn you can be owned by them before you know it. They all sleep in bed with someone and are very attached. 
  • Options
    LT Grey is here, see above. Now named Odin.
    He remembered the other horses and made sure to nuzzle them. Happy camper.

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jd50ae

Don’t know whether you’ve seen this but thought you might be interested..

http://kcra.com/article/animal-cruelty-could-become-a-federal-felony/26060642?src=app

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    California passed a pet custody law that takes into account what's best for the pet instead of treating then simply as property.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    jlmarta said:
    @jd50ae

Don’t know whether you’ve seen this but thought you might be interested..

http://kcra.com/article/animal-cruelty-could-become-a-federal-felony/26060642?src=app

There are already some laws on the books. Trouble is they are seldom enforced. 
    The good thing is more people are paying attention.
    And no I had not seen this, but I like it.
  • Options

Woody's Pet Food Deli

January 28, 2019 — The Minnesota Department of Agriculture is notifying consumers of a recall of raw turkey pet food from Woody’s Pet Food Deli due to Salmonella contamination.

This recall was issued after product samples collected by the MDA tested positive for Salmonella.

What’s Being Recalled?

The recalled product was sold in 5-pound plastic containers labeled “Woody’s Pet Food Deli Raw Free Range Turkey” and can be identified by the white date sticker on the cover of the pet food container.

The product was sold at Woody’s Pet Food Deli locations in Minneapolis, St. Paul and Woodbury.

The following three lots of product are being recalled:

• Woody’s Pet Food Deli Raw Free Range Turkey
      Use by date: 01/10/20
    Woody’s Pet Food Deli Raw Free Range Turkey
    Use by date: 01/12/20
    Woody’s Pet Food Deli Raw Free Range Turkey
    Use by date: 01/15/20

No other lots of Woody’s Pet Food Deli products are affected by the recall.

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^^^ Shouldn’t this be in the dog food recalls thread?
  • Options
    These two donkeys were kept in a barn 24/7. No light and no ventilation. They were underfed (understatement) and filthy. My wife and Amanda went to rescue another animal but when they saw the condition of these they were also rescued.

• Options
    Dog owners claim 'toxic' vitamin D levels in recalled Hill’s Pet Nutrition dog food killed their pets

• Options
    1 week ago we sent 7 ponies to Redemption Road Rescue. At least half came from them to us for rehab and fat bellies. They are now up for adoption to good homes and Redemption Road has so many contacts to make sure people who adopt are who they say they are. Kind of a strange feeling to see them go because you become very fond of them. But they are now healthy and have lost their fear of humans so off they go to find a forever home.
    One we will never let go is Grandpa Golden Shoes (I didn't name him), we all love this little horse, and now we can move him closer to the house.

• Options
    We actually have a number of dogs that will not take a treat until they get petted.

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Days don't get any better than that!
  • Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    Well... maybe!
  • Options
    Thanks for the bump.
  • Options
    jd50ae said:
    Every once in awhile you have a good reason to get out of bed. Some days are so good you have a reason to stay out of bed.
    For instance, 2 days ago a fellow showed up with a round hay bail and 6 bags of feed. It seems he heard about Holly's efforts from our "turkey" customer and just figured he would stop buy.
    I was already up because I heard my wife exclaim "a new baby". Named Fable, and he is all legs and healthy.

It was a good day.
    A local lawyer who takes on animal abuse cases decided to get a little more active in helping the critters. He adopted both mom and offspring. He has a good eye because these 2 have a great history and are kind of famous in the pony world. By word of mouth he has provide a great home. 
  • Options
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know, it amazes me that there are people out there that thing certain "breeds" of dogs are inherently vicious. 
    Our dog is pit, mastiff and lab. 
    He loves attention and loves "Little Tree", our grand daughter.
    Yesterday, she was loving on him. Giving him hugs and stuff.
    So he lays down and she climbs on him like a horse. 
    So she cuddles with him for quite some time and we figured it was time she leave him alone and not be climbing on him.
    He wouldn't let her leave him.
    He literally started pouting when she wasn't climbing on him.

But he's so vicious.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We had the same experiences with our late pit mix from the shelter with our kids when they were rug rats. Achilles was a very loyal dog.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Last week, we rescued a boxer/pit mix.  She is the most gentle, loving dog I've ever seen.  We call her wiggle butt because when she wags her tail, which is often, she wags her whole body.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YankeeMan said:
    Last week, we rescued a boxer/pit mix.  She is the most gentle, loving dog I've ever seen.  We call her wiggle butt because when she wags her tail, which is often, she wags her whole body.
    The whole movement of their body when their tail wags must be a pit thing.
    And if anything is close, it's getting knocked over.
    That and he still thinks he's a tiny puppy that can fit in your lap. LOL!

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    0patience said:
    YankeeMan said:
    The whole movement of their body when their tail wags must be a pit thing.
    And if anything is close, it's getting knocked over.
    That and he still thinks he's a tiny puppy that can fit in your lap. LOL!

Tail to body ratio.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    This is Annie. She is a mastiff cross and was bred(?) to go after bears, mountain lions and wolves. She is big, beautiful and loyal. Loves her head rubs, she will lay her head on my lap when I am at my desk for hours, until a long head rub has been administered and then she goes back to sleep. She sleeps for hours. Never barks in the house, but a deep and unmistakable profound throat sound lets you know she needed to go out and attend to business. She was an outside guard dog and watched over all the ponies, horses, chickens and Winston the pig. They are all safe under her all seeing eyes. If you are a coyote, cougar, fox or bird of prey all you will see is a flash before your lights go out.
    She started losing weight (worms?) and we brought her in for some care. If she doesn't improve we will take her to the vet next payday. So far she is putting weight back on, but I think we will take her to the vet anyway.