Home Non Cigar Related

JD's Pet/Animal/Rescue/Adopt thread

Comments

• Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:
    Just heard from the vet. It's all bad, and the inevitable will happen this afternoon.
    He was such a good dog. A pitbull that loved everyone and would even lay on his back while the smaller chickens picked the fleas and ticks off him.
    RIP Sydney.
    Paraphrase one of our great philosophers:
    "When I die, if there are no dogs in heaven, I want to go where the dogs are". 
    So sorry for your loss. It never gets easy but find comfort in the fact that we can have them humanly put down as opposed to letting them suffer.
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We brought him home to bury him, so sad.
    My wife had a recent photo.

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that, but at least take solace in knowing that you provided him a good home in his last days.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry for your loss :disappointed:
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm so sorry you had to go through that.  You did give him love and a good home.

They like their corner.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:

They like their corner.
    Hey Wayne, their collars look like Roma Craft bands!
    We use those collars on all the dogs. They are sturdy and reflective.
    They chew through them periodically, but petsmart replaces them each time. If you have big dogs buy from them, their warranty covers chewing.

Wylaff said:
    They chew through them periodically, but petsmart replaces them each time. If you have big dogs buy from them, their warranty covers chewing.

Dxmn, why did I not know this. I could have been a millionaire........ 
    My wife found it. Wh n they chew through a leash or collar we just walk in for a strait swap. They will also replace any brand of food the dogs won't eat.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two of my dogs like to sleep in crates, but they took up so much room so we found end tables that double as crates. The third dog crawls under a chair to feel even safer more secure. 

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    I have always been glad for our neighbors. If an animal got loose they would bring it back or call us and let us know.
    This morning 3 of the horses got loose and were up on the road. Some nice lady driving by beelined to the house and told us. Nice lady.
    We have on numerous occasions rounded up someone's horse(s) and got them safely home. We have spent money and time returning a stray/lost/dumped dog to it's humans, or we adopted them.

Our new neighbors(5) all gathered on the porch and just waited for something to happen. They didn't call or walk over to tell us. My wife and daughter got the horses gathered up and one of them asked if she could help, after the fact. My wife's answer was short and to the point.

As a little aside.
    Celeste, one of the escapes went to the mini horses and was playing kissy face.

Any recommendations on a good harness for a large dog?
    All of the XL harnesses I've seen so far don't seem to fit well.
    The last one had a metal plate that rubbed on the dogs chest and after a bit, there was a sore on his chest, so that one got pitched and we won't buy that kind again.

He rarely ever pulls, but I'm not a fan of collars.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    edited October 2017
    I'm using these, and the girls seem to have no discomfort.

They both wear different colored florescent collars, but we use harnesses any time they need a leash.

That one looks good. Thanks @Wylaff

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    If you get them from Petsmart they will replace it if another dog chews it up.

Wylaff said:
    I'm using these, and the girls seem to have no discomfort.

They both wear different colored florescent collars, but we use harnesses any time they need a leash.

Got one in leather for Sidney and it made him a happy camper. 
    Unfortunately Bella hasn't quite adapted to the home. She's a great pup, who loves to be cuddled, but she is still extremely nervous around the kids, and she recently started hurting her sister. We heard them fighting this morning and came out to Ezra on her back in complete submission while Bella was biting holes in her leg.

Since I don't feel safe leaving her around the kids, we are now looking for a good home for her. Preferably someone retired who can give her the love and attention she needs. She's doesn't enjoy a lot of exercise, she just wants someone to cuddle her all day. 

Damn, this is actually heart breaking. We've been crating them separate, so I know they will be alright apart.

Sigh... 

edited October 2017
    @Wylaff
    Have they both been altered? We have found on a couple of occasions that it can help with aggression. We had the same problem with two sets of same litter pups and it stopped when the vet did her thing. (Why is it always the females?)
    I hope you find a good home for her, some dogs want to be the only one in the limelight and rule their domain. They are the protectors.

We bought and trained a Weimaraner (Max) for a doctor who totally ruined him, (I think he wanted a trophy dog). So much so that his brother (Dean) would not get along with him. My stepson took Dean and we kept Max. Both have turned out to be loving, caring, responsive and both are super smart. They will protect every child they come into contact with. But they still have to be separated when my stepson visits. Max is just plain hard headed at times.
    They were both spayed at 5 months. It was an issue starting, but she has gotten much more aggressive. The fact that she has nipped at the kids, and she ignored all of her sister's signs to stop, tells me it will only get worse if I keep her here.

Momma told the dog to go get in the tub for a bath.
    He gave me one of those "save me" looks. I told him there was nothing I could do for him. Momma says to get a bath.

He snorted and went into the bathroom and jumped in the tub.
    I was trying so hard not to laugh when he gave that "disgusted" snort.
    Funny as hell.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    edited November 2017
    We had to chain up Anny, too many idiot "hunters". Because Shiloh was shot by one of these brave "hunters" while she was on our property we had no choice. And another brave poacher took a shot at Molly while she was feet away from the kids and on our property.

Anny got just a little upset.
    I take treats to her and she turns her back to me. I move around and she turns her back to me again and again.
    I love Anny, but wow, talk about pouting.

Update: We found a home for Bella today. A young man who lives with his brother came by. He spent 3 hours sitting on the floor trying to get her to trust him. He said his brother and him are looking for a dog that does not want to be outside constantly. One that wants to sit on the couch and be loved, which she does.

I am absolutely heartbroken to see her go, and all I can do is hope and pray that they will give her the love she deserves.

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    0patience said:
    Any recommendations on a good harness for a large dog?
    All of the XL harnesses I've seen so far don't seem to fit well.
    The last one had a metal plate that rubbed on the dogs chest and after a bit, there was a sore on his chest, so that one got pitched and we won't buy that kind again.

He rarely ever pulls, but I'm not a fan of collars.
    @0patience ; Tony I know I'm about a month late....but I'd suggest looking into the "Ruffwear" brand of harnesses.  https://ruffwear.com/collections/harnesses/products/front-range-harness

Our dog is ~75 lbs, and we had a heck of a time finding a harness that fit her. 

Finally settled on one of the Kong harness (like Wayne linked to above) and it worked well enough for a few years before the stitching finally came undone. 
    The hard plastic chest piece would sometimes bother our dog, but our biggest complaint with the Kong harness was that it regularly slid "side-to-side" and didn't stay centered on the dog due to the design of the straps. 

We replaced the old Kong harness with the Ruffwear harness about a year ago and the Ruffwear is remarkably better IMO. 
    The Ruffwear has a soft, padded "chest piece" and also a padded "top piece" that keeps the harness securely in place and minimizes the "side-to-side" movement. 
    There's also no hard plastic in the Ruffwear harness (like there was in the chest piece of the Kong harness) so no more chest irritation. 

Finally, the old Kong harness required us to put it over the dog's head, then have the dog put a leg through one of the straps (which was annoying)....this Ruffwear is designed with straps on both sides which eliminates the "leg-through" part.  Just put it over the dog's head, the buckle both sides. 

Oh, and there's also a little velcro pouch on the top piece of the Ruffwear harness where you can put the dog's tags & contact info. 
    Post edited by jgibv on

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

Thanks. We still haven't bought one yet. 
    We are still using his old harness, but only when we run into town.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great news, Wayne
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    Wylaff said:
    Update: We found a home for Bella today. A young man who lives with his brother came by. He spent 3 hours sitting on the floor trying to get her to trust him. He said his brother and him are looking for a dog that does not want to be outside constantly. One that wants to sit on the couch and be loved, which she does.

I am absolutely heartbroken to see her go, and all I can do is hope and pray that they will give her the love she deserves.
    I am so glad to hear that. Good on you, you obviously made a real effort.
    @jgibv

https://ruffwear.com/collections/harnesses/products/front-range-harness

That is the best idea for a large dog harness I have yet to see. Ordering one for Anny. Thanks,,,,
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:
    @jgibv

https://ruffwear.com/collections/harnesses/products/front-range-harness

That is the best idea for a large dog harness I have yet to see. Ordering one for Anny. Thanks,,,,
    you're welcome. 

and yes i agree it's one of the best harnesses i've ever come across.

our groomer introduced me to the ruffwear brand, none of the local pet stores carry it & i had never heard of it before.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *