Home General Discussion
Options

Ask your forum functionality questions here....How do I.....?

Comments

• Options
    krebsiekrebsie Moderator Posts: 86 admin
    edited May 2015
    jlmarta said:
    Help!!  Krebsie!  Somebody!!  Please, PLEASE get rid of that damned auto-save thingy for iPhones if you want me to keep posting to these boards. 

Is anyone listening??
    Yes! It is unnecessary to save a draft 5 seconds in. Locks my phone up for a while every time. 
    The Auto Save should now be disabled,  If you need to save a draft you will need to hit the save draft button. 
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I noticed the keyboard lock on iPad too.  Would just refuse to let you type after some point.  Hopefully this takes care of it.  

Thanks!  
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YankeeMan said:
    I've said this before, but I'm an analog guy in a digital world, so beware!  I noticed some of the guys have their
    Yesssss?  You were saying.....?  :p
  • Options
    variant2variant2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    YankeeMan said:
    I've said this before, but I'm an analog guy in a digital world, so beware!  I noticed some of the guys have their
    I know exactly what he's trying to say. There are a few guys here that have thei

Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • Options
    variant2 said:
    jlmarta said:
    YankeeMan said:
    I know exactly what he's trying to say. There are a few guys here that have thei

And then, of course, there are those who 
  • Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    variant2 said:
    jlmarta said:
    YankeeMan said:

don't forget about the ones that d
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    jlmarta said:
    variant2 said:
    jlmarta said:
    YankeeMan said:
    Yesssss?  You were saying.....?  p

don't forget about the ones that d
    eliver the packages to our mai
    Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    If you think I'm gonna scroll through all 163 pages of "Whatcha smoking this morning" just to read today's posts you're outta your mind. Each time I try to open it it starts with the first page - clear back in 2011. 

I'm just not THAT curious....  Fix it or forget it...
    Hey Marty @jlmarta , I think I figured a work-around for this. 

Try this.....
    Click on a thread.....

Then add the text:
    #latest

At the end of the URL in your address bar.
    That should take you the "most recent" post of that thread.

Why this doesn't happen by default, I have no clue. 
    Royal pain-in-the-ass if you ask me.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    jgibv said:
    jlmarta said:
    If you think I'm gonna scroll through all 163 pages of "Whatcha smoking this morning" just to read today's posts you're outta your mind. Each time I try to open it it starts with the first page - clear back in 2011. 

Try this.....
    Click on a thread.....

Then add the text:
    #latest

Thanks for this, my friend. It sounds as though it's intended for use on a PC or laptop, however. I mainly use my iPhone..... 
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how do I get more badges? need more ... need all
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    why dose it post twice when I start a topic?
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would love to have Tapatalk enabled for the forum.  I would actually check the forum from my phone then.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    jgibv said:
    jlmarta said:

Try this.....
    Click on a thread.....

Then add the text:
    #latest

Thanks for this, my friend. It sounds as though it's intended for use on a PC or laptop, however. I mainly use my iPhone..... 
    welcome. 
    i've given up trying to use it on my iphone...this new layout is absolutely terrible for browsing on small screens.  ipad or computer only for me.

as others have already mentioned, the spacing on quoted posts is terrible and you have to scroll FOREVER to get through it. 
    and the side navigation bar takes up way too much real estate on the small screen.  umph

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Okay, here's another "How do I...?"

How do I go about searching for an old thread?  If I use the search bar in the relevant category and type in the name of the thread I'm looking for, what I get is a myriad of threads with those key words highlighted. What I DONT get is the thread I'm looking for....
  • Options
    jlmarta said:

How do I go about searching for an old thread?  If I use the search bar in the relevant category and type in the name of the thread I'm looking for, what I get is a myriad of threads with those key words highlighted. What I DONT get is the thread I'm looking for....
    1. In the search field, type in the search term and hit return to start the query
    2. In the search results page, if you can't find what you're looking for, you can then bring up the advanced search page by clicking on the triangle which is found at the right side of the search field at the top of the page.
    3. You can also put your search string in quotes. So if the name of the thread is Favorite dog rockets, you'll encase them in quotes "Favorite dog rockets". 

Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • Options
    variant2 said:
    jlmarta said:

1. In the search field, type in the search term and hit return to start the query
    2. In the search results page, if you can't find what you're looking for, you can then bring up the advanced search page by clicking on the triangle which is found at the right side of the search field at the top of the page.
    3. You can also put your search string in quotes. So if the name of the thread is Favorite dog rockets, you'll encase them in quotes "Favorite dog rockets". 

Nope. These suggestions may work on a laptop or PC but, as I keep telling folks, I mainly use my iPhone and they didn't work on it.....

I refuse to change my method of 'putering just to use this forum. If it won't work for my iPhone then we'll just forget it. I'm tired of fighting it.......
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    variant2 said:
    jlmarta said:

1. Does the new search function work exactly the same as the old? I get the impression it's less sophisticated than the old one. Or is it just that the old one is what I'm used to seeing? 
    2. What difference does the "quotes" make. You suggested that method but, with no explanation I am only left to assume that only thread titles will be searched. Did I guess right? 
    3. Isn't there an old thread by that title? "Favorite dog rockets"? Seems like there was. I tried this method just now to practice. I didn't see a thread by that title. 
  • Options
    jlmarta said:
    variant2 said:
    jlmarta said:

Nope. These suggestions may work on a laptop or PC but, as I keep telling folks, I mainly use my iPhone and they didn't work on it.....

I refuse to change my method of 'putering just to use this forum. If it won't work for my iPhone then we'll just forget it. I'm tired of fighting it.......
    Did you click on the upside triangle at the end of the search field? It shows up after your the first simple search. Click on it and you should see this. You can also search thread titles as well. 

Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • Options

Bob_Luken said:
    variant2 said:
    jlmarta said:

1. Does the new search function work exactly the same as the old? I get the impression it's less sophisticated than the old one. Or is it just that the old one is what I'm used to seeing? 
    2. What difference does the "quotes" make. You suggested that method but, with no explanation I am only left to assume that only thread titles will be searched. Did I guess right? 
    3. Isn't there an old thread by that title? "Favorite dog rockets"? Seems like there was. I tried this method just now to practice. I didn't see a thread by that title. 
    1. Not exactly the same but the gist of the advanced search is similar. You can also search for thread titles which I can't remember if that was an option on the old forum.
    2. The quotes tell the search feature to find the words as a string instead of each word individually. For instance, if you search for dog rocket (without the quotes), it will search for posts that have "dog" and "rocket" separately. If you group them together: "dog rocket", it'll find results where there is the word dog, a single space and then rocket together as one string.
    3. Not sure.
    Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • Options
    variant2 said:
    jlmarta said:
    variant2 said:
    jlmarta said:

Did you click on the upside triangle at the end of the search field? It shows up after your the first simple search. Click on it and you should see this. You can also search thread titles as well. 

Yep. Did that. Still didn't work.... 
  • Options
    jlmarta said:
    By "still didn't work.." do you mean that the advance search didn't show up or it did but you still can't find your thread?

Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • Options
    variant2 said:
    jlmarta said:
    By "still didn't work.." do you mean that the advance search didn't show up or it did but you still can't find your thread?

It did but it still showed single highlighted keywords or sometimes two words. But not the thread I was looking for
  • Options
    Okay, one more time, folks. How the hell do I find my incoming PMs?? 

This is forum stuff still stinks, IMO
  • Options
    CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:

I use my iPhone a lot too, and i have a seperate tab...one for each the forum and my inbox.

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:

Upper RH corner there are "hash marks" next to the search line.
    Click on that. 
    Then a drop down menu SHOULD drop down. 
    Scroll down to where it says Inbox.

This forum program is NOT phone friendly. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    jlmarta said:

Click on that. 

Well that's handy! Thanks for sharing that..wont have to have all the extra tabs now!
  • Options
    CvilleE said:
    0patience said:
    jlmarta said:

Click on that. 

Well that's handy! Thanks for sharing that..wont have to have all the extra tabs now!
    Only one problem... Mine doesn't do that. If I click on the hash marks it offers me a chance to edit something

What a piece of ****!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    That last post should read:

What a piece of S H 1 T!!!
  • Options
    jlmarta said:
    CvilleE said:
    0patience said:
    jlmarta said:

Click on that. 

Only one problem... Mine doesn't do that. If I click on the hash marks it offers me a chance to edit something

What a piece of ****!!!
    The $9@$5^% hash marks take me to a place to click to access my inbox but the last PM received was from May 26 and folks have sent others since then but I can't receive them. Its like my inbox is blocked or something...
  • Options

Okay, now, for the benefit of all you folks who keep telling me to look for the hash marks, etc, I'm now on my PC - I repeat, I'M NOW ON MY PC - and I still find NO DAMNED HASH MARKS and no indication of a button or link that'll take me to my inbox!!

Would one of you computer gurus at Ccom please do something so that I can use this fershlugginer forum??  I'm at a fork in the road, guys.  Either this damned thing works or I'll take a hike.  Its as simple as that......

PLEASE??