Home Non Cigar Related
Options

you can't make this stuff up

Comments

• Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭

This is the sort of thing Snopes does well...taking a deeper look at stuff they can lay cited facts on.  I like how they make this one "mixed" and then analyze a lot of it.  I mean, I knew there were some falsehoods and trivialities when I read this in like 1995-99ish, but since it's floating around again...

Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In 10 years, this robot should be (but probably won't be) on the market.
    Robots have always lagged as a useful tool, until this came along. 
    With technology and ideas multiplying each year, I really don't see how this won't be obtainable in the next 20 years.

https://youtu.be/_sBBaNYex3E
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    This country has lost it completely.

OK hand gesture and "bowl cut" added to hate symbols database.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/ok-symbol-hand-gesture-anti-defamation-league-bowl-cut-racism-hatred/
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    OldGnomeOldGnome Posts: 58 ✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    This country has lost it completely.

OK hand gesture and "bowl cut" added to hate symbols database.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/ok-symbol-hand-gesture-anti-defamation-league-bowl-cut-racism-hatred/
    Please be careful. The symbology is more nuanced than the CBS article indicates --

=-=-=-=
    Just an Old Gnome
  • Options
    Be careful of what?
    Not sure I follow.
    Giving credence to some hairbrain notion that anything can be construed as hate? 
    Next, they will be saying that praying will be a hate gesture.

Something only becomes powerful, if you give it power. Ignore it and it is meaningless.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    0patience said:
    Be careful of what?
    Not sure I follow.
    Giving credence to some hairbrain notion that anything can be construed as hate? 

Something only becomes powerful, if you give it power. Ignore it and it is meaningless.

The ADL provides lengthy definitions of circumstances in which 214 various images, hand gestures and other symbols have already been used as "hate symbols." This is not a case where the ADL just decided these things are hate symbols. They are recognizing they have already been used as such.

The CBS article completely misses the nuance in the definitions created by the ADL. I provided links. You don't appear to have looked at them.

=-=-=-=
    Just an Old Gnome
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So was that deaf guy trying to talk to me or was he hatin' on me?

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    ShawnOL said:
    As one with a hearing disability, I don't consider that comment to carry nearly as much humor as you may have intended,
    =-=-=-=
    Just an Old Gnome
  • Options
    OldGnome said:
    0patience said:
    Be careful of what?
    Not sure I follow.

The ADL provides lengthy definitions of circumstances in which 214 various images, hand gestures and other symbols have already been used as "hate symbols." This is not a case where the ADL just decided these things are hate symbols. They are recognizing they have already been used as such.

The CBS article completely misses the nuance in the definitions created by the ADL. I provided links. You don't appear to have looked at them.

I did look at them. I just don't see things the same way. 
    So do you want someone walking down the street and giving hand signals to his buddy in a pickup that he parked ok, to get a ticket, thrown in jail or whatever for a hate crime? Lists like that become just as dangerous in the wrong hands, if laws are made, based on them.

Still not certain what I need to be careful of. The choice of my words? Whether I might offend someone or what?
    OldGnome said:
    ShawnOL said:
    As one with a hearing disability, I don't consider that comment to carry nearly as much humor as you may have intended,
    My son is deaf and he thought it was funny as hell.  :D

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, what?
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    It has been a symbol of OK since I can remember. For scuba divers it has been the OK symbol since the beginning. 
    Just because a bad person uses something does not make it bad.

Bowl haircuts have been around since people started cutting their hair.
    Once again, one idiot cuts his hair a certain way so everyone with that haircut is bad?
    Jeez those guys are asp hats, doesnt mean anything if they through an All OK symbol or got a haircut.
    People just want to find something to BS about.
    Next time I dive I will give the hand on head sign for OK on the surface, when I ask my dive buddy if he/she I will give the OK symbol and wont care who likes it.  
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it amazing that xxxxxxxx and SJWs can find so much wrong with so many things. The one finger sign I give them all is familiar sign to all of us.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And, oddly enough, the okay sign isn’t something to be used too freely in Italy. It’s considered quite vulgar there.....  🤓
  • Options
    jlmarta said:
    And, oddly enough, the okay sign isn’t something to be used too freely in Italy. It’s considered quite vulgar there.....  🤓
    Exactly. We all need to take into consideration the cultural environment in which we use various hand signs. It’s not so much individual freedom to use whatever hand signal we choose, but to acknowledge how it is going to be received. 

My freedom to swing my fist ends just before your nose. 
    =-=-=-=
    Just an Old Gnome
  • Options
    The problem with society is people's skin are getting too thin.  Nowadays, people get the SIVS at the slightest thing.  I find myself saying "man up, buttercup" way too often these days.

• Options
    ShawnOL said:
    The problem with society is people's skin are getting too thin.  Nowadays, people get the SIVS at the slightest thing.  I find myself saying "man up, buttercup" way too often these days.
    Well, yeah. That, too. 
    =-=-=-=
    Just an Old Gnome
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Thin skin?  I beg to differ many are what we used to call ****, or wossies, or weenies.  Anything and everything gets them butt hurt.  What happend to get over it and move on, now we have I'm a **** and going to sue you.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    sticks and stones
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    jlmarta said:
    In most of Europe the pointer finger and middle finger making a V is the FU sign
    Putting those same fingers together and aiming them at someone is the evil eye
    The AOK signal for diving is the same internationally, dive master gave it to everyone in our group and would not move until returned.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options
    edited September 2019

• Options
    Legal Experts Warn Amber Guyger Verdict Could Set Dangerous Precedent Of Police Officers Not Being Allowed To Shoot Anyone They Want

"Imagine an America where a police officer can't break into your home and just shoot you to death---that's not my America," said one Dallas lawyer. "This is really stoking fears all over the country that we will no longer be able to trust our police officers to kick in the wrong door and shoot us in the face."

I do love me some Bee

• Options
    She actually thought she would be exonerated of any crime.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    "it rains again on Brighton beach"

https://youtu.be/m3Rut64GDgA

• Options

Climate activist Greta Thunberg proclaimed “Successor of Christ” by Church of Sweden

• Options
    But will she look totally ripped on a cross?

• Options
    Blasphemy doesn't count for much in Sweden, does it?
    =-=-=-=
    Just an Old Gnome
  • Options
    Hmm. 
    I'm not what you would consider Christian, but....

“Jesus answered and said to them: ‘Take heed that no one deceives you. For many will come in My name, saying, “I am the Christ,” and will deceive many’ ”
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    0patience said:
    Hmm. 
    I'm not what you would consider Christian, but....

“Jesus answered and said to them: ‘Take heed that no one deceives you. For many will come in My name, saying, “I am the Christ,” and will deceive many’ ”
    There's hope for you yet. :)

And, indeed.
    =-=-=-=
    Just an Old Gnome
  • Options
    Sorry, "she" looks plain evil to me. I still want to know who trained her.