Comments

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmmm. How very interesting. Uh, what’d he say.....?? 🙄🙄

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jlmarta said:

The vid is for visual; the link above it is to an article in English.
    Fascinating engine.
    Can you imagine the machining that goes into making one? Holy Cow!

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spherical or swing piston type motor.
    This technology has been around for quite some time, in one variation or another.
    It has been proven in pneumatic motors, but not yet proven in a combustion engine.
    As with most things, the theory is sound, but yet unproven.

Since 2000, there has been many pushes toward getting this style of engine proven in an MYT (massive yet tiny) engine for energy uses.
    Theory is that the engine can produce 40 times the power to weight ratio.
    And yet again, still not proven.

If it can ever be proven, the size of this engine to produce the same power as a conventional gas engine, will be roughly 1/2 the size of a conventional engine.
    Which opens up a lot of possibilities.
    A diesel version will be the most likely breakthru and probably be the one that succeeds first.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options

@0patience said:

This technology has been around for quite some time, in one variation or another.

Since 2000, there has been many pushes toward getting this style of engine proven in an MYT (massive yet tiny) engine for energy uses.

I imagine you follow these things more than I do.
    So what's your most fascinating new engine design?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    edited May 2020

Right now, opposed piston engines are something I've been watching in the last decade. Ford is really trying to push getting the Achates opposed piston engine up and running in the next 10 years. Supposedly, it will be 30% more efficient than conventional gas engines.
    Microsoft and Vinod Khosla are backing the EcoMotors "opoc" opposed piston engine. It is a different design than the Achates.

Toyota's FPEG W engine may see market in the next 10 years, but I don't see it as efficient as the opposed piston engines.

Then there are tons of radial and turbine designs being tested.
    One that if it ever comes to light, that I think will be a total game changer is the Wave Disk Generator engine.

But the one that really peaks my interest is the Aquarius Engines free piston linear engine.
    If this engine ever gets to production, it will be a game changer.

Right now is an amazing time for the industry. Technology and computers have allowed designs to be tested virtually before wasting millions of dollars testing and allowed unconventional designs to actually show that they may actually work.

Editted:
    The thing about the new engine designs is that some of them are going against the grain of thought of conventional engineering. I love that.
    Designs that the engineers first look at and say can never work, yet computer models show a 30% increase in power and efficiency, with less parts and weight.
    That, gets me excited.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options

@webmost said:

@jlmarta said:

Fascinating engine.

I just went back and looked - there isn’t any link above it, at least not on my iPhone. Anyway, it’s interesting.... 🤓

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

@0patience , when you say opposed piston, is that like my BMW boxer engine? Or something completely different?

I have to say that the BMW engine is indeed much more efficient than oh, say, any Harley engine ever made. Smoother, more horsepower, roughly equivalent torque albeit at higher RPM, and better fuel mileage.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

There have been opposed piston engines in aviation for 3/4 of a century. Virtually every piston powered general aviation aircraft has one. The big players are Lycoming and Continental, both now owned by Textron, but there are a few other manufacturers. Allison made a V-12 that powered a few WW2 fighters, as did Roll-Royce, most notably the Merlin in the venerable P-51.

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Options
    edited May 2020

@Trykflyr_1 said:
    There have been opposed piston engines in aviation for 3/4 of a century. Virtually every piston powered general aviation aircraft has one. The big players are Lycoming and Continental, both now owned by Textron, but there are a few other manufacturers. Allison made a V-12 that powered a few WW2 fighters, as did Roll-Royce, most notably the Merlin in the venerable P-51.

The Rolls Merlin was a V-12.
    That isn't considered an oppossd piston.

Aircraft have been using opposed piston for years, yes.
    No one was saying they weren't.
    But the Achates is one of the first opposed piston design of its kind.

For that matter opposed piston isn't anything new in the automotive. Subaru, Porsche, BMW and several others have built some.
    What is new, is the technology that is making them smaller, more efficient and more powerful.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options

I'll agree with all that. And I'm all for lighter, better piston pushers. Now if someone can just convince the old guys at the Friends Against Aviation. We're still using magnetos fir cryin out loud

• Options

@Trykflyr_1 said:
    I'll agree with all that. And I'm all for lighter, better piston pushers. Now if someone can just convince the old guys at the Friends Against Aviation. We're still using magnetos fir cryin out loud

A friend of mine was showing me one of his planes.
    And I seen the magnetos and I did a double take.
    Not sure why. Maybe altitude affects them? Dunno.
    Now I'm gonna have to research that, cause it's gonna bug me until I do. LOL!

One of my uncles had a plane with an old radial engine.
    Now that was an impressive thing. It was giant.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
  • Options

Fortunately, you can use 5GBioShield without disabling your Wi-Fi. The USB key doesn't block Wi-Fi signals, the company says. Instead, the product "transmutes" the signals and "harmonizes all harmful frequencies into life affirming frequencies."

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/05/5g-conspiracy-theorists-sell-350-usb-stick-to-fight-electric-fog/

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jlmarta said:

@webmost said:

@jlmarta said:

Fascinating engine.

I just went back and looked - there isn’t any link above it, at least not on my iPhone. Anyway, it’s interesting.... 🤓

The title hotlinks to the article.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options

@Wylaff said:

@jlmarta said:

@webmost said:

@jlmarta said:

Fascinating engine.

Hmmm. Who’da thunk it?? What’ll they think of next?? 🙄

• Options

@jlmarta said:

@Wylaff said:

@jlmarta said:

@webmost said:

@jlmarta said:

Fascinating engine.

Hmmm. Who’da thunk it?? What’ll they think of next?? 🙄

Don't feel bad, I had no clue either.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options

This is just brilliant, lol. Some professor drew a salary to administer this study:

Taking Time to Commune with Nature Increases Feelings of Connection to It, Study Shows

https://www.newswise.com/articles/taking-time-to-commune-with-nature-increases-feelings-of-connection-to-it-study-shows?sc=sphn

• Options

@silvermouse said:
    This is just brilliant, lol. Some professor drew a salary to administer this study:

Taking Time to Commune with Nature Increases Feelings of Connection to It, Study Shows

https://www.newswise.com/articles/taking-time-to-commune-with-nature-increases-feelings-of-connection-to-it-study-shows?sc=sphn

Yep, that's genius.
    I need to have someone fund a grant like that for me, when I retire.
    I can bull$h!t as well as the next guy.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options

Taking time to commune with my cigar increases my connection to it.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

• Options

Instead of Americans, can we call them "Dumba$$"?

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options

saint donald

• Options
    miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    saint donald

Disgrace

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options

@Patrickbrick said:
    And yet out of 350 million Americans he and Hillary were the best, now it's him or Biden. These are not choices.

Eggs Ackley

Tulsi

• Options

Vote for me!