Home Non Cigar Related
Options

you can't make this stuff up

Comments

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only the govt thinks it's a good idea to put lives in the hands of the lowest bidder.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@0patience said:
    https://katu.com/news/local/oregon-legislature-passes-bill-to-suspend-graduation-testing-requirement

Oregon not requiring students to be able to read, write or so arithmatic to get a diploma for the next 3 years.

Okay, now we need a OMG/WTF button, because just WTF doesn't come up to the level of this stupidity.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

But don't students still have to pass all their courses in order to graduate?

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tony @0patience was exaggerating I guess. Doing away with the standardized tests probably does more good than harm, really. A quote from the article:

"We have been relying on tests that have been, frankly, very flawed and relying too much on them so that we aren't really helping the students or the teachers or the community."

So true. Reciting facts in multiple choice format doesn't really assess a student's knowledge, especially if they have ADHD, dyslexia, dysgraphia, or a number of other ailments that the special education people refuse to address. How about honest grades, teachers who actually teach, and households that are involved?

Standardized testing is a bandaid on a bullet hole, and they're the 3rd step in a total US common core education system, something that i thought and wished more red team players would be against....

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021

If there is no testing then how can you be certain that anything taught was actually learned.

• Options

Individual evaluation

Don't look ↑
  • Options

Oh, and the same way we did it in the 30s 40s 50s 60s 70s 80s and 90s.

Don't look ↑
  • Options

@VegasFrank said:

Making them get a job?

My experience is limited to the 60's and 70's, we took tests.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@VegasFrank said:

Making them get a job?

Okay, everyone took tests. That's not what I was talking about. I'm talking about state-run, state-mandated graduation requirement tests. If you had those in North Carolina in the sixties, you must be from the future and that must be 2160.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

I graduated in the 90s, no state mandated graduate testing. My daughter just graduated, no graduation test required. Must be a west coast thing.

• Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gotta pass the new "STAR" test here to graduate high school in Texas. Used to be the "TAX" test in 2009. When we got are results... it was very surprising to see a lot of Varsity Cheerleaders and other Varsity players, football, etc. who failed it horribly...lol...We all knew who was cheating their way through Senior year making 90's & 100's but fails the easiest exit test of the year :D

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options

@VegasFrank said:
    Tony @0patience was exaggerating I guess. Doing away with the standardized tests probably does more good than harm, really. A quote from the article:

"We have been relying on tests that have been, frankly, very flawed and relying too much on them so that we aren't really helping the students or the teachers or the community."

So true. Reciting facts in multiple choice format doesn't really assess a student's knowledge, especially if they have ADHD, dyslexia, dysgraphia, or a number of other ailments that the special education people refuse to address. How about honest grades, teachers who actually teach, and households that are involved?

Standardized testing is a bandaid on a bullet hole, and they're the 3rd step in a total US common core education system, something that i thought and wished more red team players would be against....

No exaggeration.
    Oregon lawmakers have passed a bill that will suspend the Essential Skills graduation requirement for students for the next three years.
    Which means,
    The graduation requirements:
    Read and comprehend a variety of text
    Write clearly and accurately
    Apply mathematics in a variety of settings
    will no longer be applicable for the next 3 years.

“SECTION 3. Notwithstanding any rules adopted by the State Board of Education, a
    student may not be required to show proficiency in Essential Learning Skills as a condition of receiving a high school diploma during the 2021-2022, 2022-2023 or 2023-2024 school year.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options

Yeah, but they also have to pass their classes @0patience. I mean, you didn't take and pass that test when you were in high school, but that doesn't mean that you couldn't read and write.

Will a tenth or two of a percent squeak through? Sure. They did in your day too. Adults who have taught these current 10th, 11th, and 12th graders for the last decade have already failed them, before this bill was ever drafted.

Standardized testing ultimately does more harm than good. The teachers use classroom time to teach to the lowest common denominator, hurting all of the students while show not uplifting the ones who needed it in the first place.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    edited August 2021

@VegasFrank said:
    Yeah, but they also have to pass their classes @0patience. I mean, you didn't take and pass that test when you were in high school, but that doesn't mean that you couldn't read and write.

Will a tenth or two of a percent squeak through? Sure. They did in your day too. Adults who have taught these current 10th, 11th, and 12th graders for the last decade have already failed them, before this bill was ever drafted.

Standardized testing ultimately does more harm than good. The teachers use classroom time to teach to the lowest common denominator, hurting all of the students while show not uplifting the ones who needed it in the first place.

Where do you get that I didn't have to pass tests when I was in high school?

We had competency tests when I was in high school.
    Not only did you have to pass the class, but you had to pass all the competency tests and there were a ton of them.
    If they were not all passed, no diploma.

I'm blown away by people that think school is too hard for kids now.
    I worked from 5am until school started, then worked from 5 until 11 pm at the cedar mill, unless the boat was in, then worked on it that night and still graduated early.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps we're looking at the test from the wrong side.
    Perhaps such a test could evaluate of teacher competency.

Of course, teachers would just make a slew of excuses, as they do now: parents, society, low pay, pupil behavior, drugs, distractions, etc. etc. In every other job, you have to find a way. Teaching, you merely find an excuse.

What if these exams were a way to test teachers?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options

@0patience said:

@VegasFrank said:

Where do you get that I didn't have to pass tests when I was in high school?

We had competency tests when I was in high school.
    Not only did you have to pass the class, but you had to pass all the competency tests and there were a ton of them.
    If they were not all passed, no diploma.

I'm blown away by people that think school is too hard for kids now.
    I worked from 5am until school started, then worked from 5 until 11 pm at the cedar mill, unless the boat was in, then worked on it that night and still graduated early.

Where do you get that I said you didn't have to pass tests when you were in school? This bill didn't say it was illegal for teachers to get final exams or end of unit tests or pop quizzes. We are talking about a standardized state run tests, something you didn't take in the 60s or 70s or 80s when you graduated high school. If you don't know what the difference is between a pop quiz and a standardized, end of high school test, then there's nothing else to say in this conversation. You just don't understand and I don't have the energy to explain it.
    I know that's because they didn't exist. I might think it came close was the cat test on the Iowa test and those were given in elementary school. They weren't graduation requirement.

Jesus H. Christ!

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    edited August 2021

@VegasFrank said:

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@VegasFrank said:

Making them get a job?

Okay, everyone took tests. That's not what I was talking about. I'm talking about state-run, state-mandated graduation requirement tests. If you had those in North Carolina in the sixties, you must be from the future and that must be 2160.

I think I passed through a corner of North Carolina once in the 60's. Up until that day all my school experience was with the school system in Brooklyn New York. I guess we ALL make incorrect assumptions sometimes, probably based on not knowing the facts.

Attention to detail would show, as per the top of my post, that I now live in West TN. Just for general information, prior to graduating High School in Texas I did spend 3 semesters of my public education in Tennessee.

Oddly, I had to repeat my Civics class to be able to graduate in TX. I'd taken the class in KY, when I was in school there, and made an A. Didn't want to mess that up. In TX you MUST take Civics as a Senior.

Post edited by Amos_Umwhat on

• Options

On a related note, whenever we moved the new school system often tried to put me back a year. This was probably at least in part due to my being the youngest one in the class.

When we moved to TN from KY I was a Sophomore. The principal was explaining that I would have to be moved back to my Freshman year, because "We're not sure that KY schools are up to our standards". As we were having this conversation a student walked by, and I could see the history textbook he was carrying.
    "What year student uses that book?" I asked.
    "That's our 11th grade History book." he replied.
    "That was my 8th grade book in KY." I said.

I stayed in the 10th grade.

The point to this is that perhaps this kind of discrepancy from state to state was a reason for uniform testing across the country.

When I was in college, in the 90's, in order to pass chemistry we had to take a nationally mandated test. Prior to graduation we took the ACT Comp. I don't think you had to "pass" that, though. My score on that was north of 200, just for general information. Average was around 100.

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

@webmost said:

Of course, teachers would just make a slew of excuses, as they do now: parents, society, low pay, pupil behavior, drugs, distractions, etc. etc. In every other job, you have to find a way. Teaching, you merely find an excuse.

Do you just spit nonsense to get a reaction? In Massachusetts you need a Master’s Degree to teach. And yes they have tests, and evaluations, and trainings, and more schooling……. Excuses…… you have no idea. Teachers teach your kids….. your kids. Don’t like public, send em to private…. Don’t like (or can afford) private …. Stay home and home school.

• Options
    miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

WURD!

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    edited August 2021

@VegasFrank

Where do you get that I said you didn't have to pass tests when you were in school?

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Passing tests was the only way I got through school, because homework was for suckers.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021

@Vision said:

@webmost said:

Do you just spit nonsense to get a reaction? In Massachusetts you need a Master’s Degree to teach. And yes they have tests, and evaluations, and trainings, and more schooling……. Excuses…… you have no idea. Teachers teach your kids….. your kids. Don’t like public, send em to private…. Don’t like (or can afford) private …. Stay home and home school.

Are they getting the job done or are they not?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    I think I passed through a corner of North Carolina once in the 60's. Up until that day all my school experience was with the school system in Brooklyn New York. I guess we ALL make incorrect assumptions sometimes, probably based on not knowing the facts.

Attention to detail would show, as per the top of my post, that I now live in West TN. Just

You are so right! Everything that I've ever said is completely invalid because I said you were from a different part of the country you actually were. I'll go kill myself now.

Don't look ↑
  • Options

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    On a related note, whenever we moved the new school system often tried to put me back a year. This was probably at least in part due to my being the youngest one in the class.

When we moved to TN from KY I was a Sophomore. The principal was explaining that I would have to be moved back to my Freshman year, because "We're not sure that KY schools are up to our standards". As we were having this conversation a student walked by, and I could see the history textbook he was carrying.
    "What year student uses that book?" I asked.
    "That's our 11th grade History book." he replied.
    "That was my 8th grade book in KY." I said.

I stayed in the 10th grade.

The point to this is that perhaps this kind of discrepancy from state to state was a reason for uniform testing across the country.

When I was in college, in the 90's, in order to pass chemistry we had to take a nationally mandated test. Prior to graduation we took the ACT Comp. I don't think you had to "pass" that, though. My score on that was north of 200, just for general information. Average was around 100.

@webmost said:

@Vision said:

@webmost said:

Are they getting the job done or are they not?

Does The standardized test at the end of the 12th grade prove whether or not they're getting their jobs done? Don't change the goal line brother. That's not how you play football.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    edited August 2021

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    When I was in college, in the 90's, in order to pass chemistry we had to take a nationally mandated test...My score on that was north of 200, just for general information. Average was around 100.

Ah! Another piece of the puzzle falls into place! So I've got it narrowed down to one of two scenarios. Maybe you can shed light on which one is closer to the truth

1. You were good at tests in college. You had to take tests in college. You scored double the average. You know you're smart. The test must have portrayed your intelligence or your knowledge in the subject accurately. Therefore all tests are good, or at least the one you took and likely the high school exit exam in the state of Oregon in the year 2021.
    2. You scored a 200 on a test in college. Al Bundy once scored four touchdowns in a high school football game. Reliving the glory days!

Don't look ↑