Home Non Cigar Related
Options

you can't make this stuff up

Comments

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

We are spending billions of dollars on these things but didn't think far enough ahead to supply adequate ground based comms.

https://www.space.com/james-webb-space-telescope-artemis-1-communications

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

https://www.statnews.com/2022/12/08/health-care-even-more-dysfunctional-after-medicare-cuts/

"I realize that physicians complaining about pay might not generate much sympathy from the public. But please hear me out. Many primary care physicians are in private practice, meaning they’re responsible for their own overhead. Medicare physician reimbursements are set to be cut by approximately 4% on January 1. When factored in with other projected Medicare cuts, the total cuts physicians can expect to see are closer to 8.5%. And that’s not even accounting for inflation. If reimbursements fall that dramatically, these physicians may have no choice but to stop accepting Medicare patients in order to keep their lights on. And given that most insurance companies set their reimbursement rates based on Medicare’s, it’s reasonable to expect that reimbursement will fall across the board, meaning that primary care doctors may be forced to accept only patients who can pay out-of-pocket."

• Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    https://www.statnews.com/2022/12/08/health-care-even-more-dysfunctional-after-medicare-cuts/

"I realize that physicians complaining about pay might not generate much sympathy from the public. But please hear me out. Many primary care physicians are in private practice, meaning they’re responsible for their own overhead. Medicare physician reimbursements are set to be cut by approximately 4% on January 1. When factored in with other projected Medicare cuts, the total cuts physicians can expect to see are closer to 8.5%. And that’s not even accounting for inflation. If reimbursements fall that dramatically, these physicians may have no choice but to stop accepting Medicare patients in order to keep their lights on. And given that most insurance companies set their reimbursement rates based on Medicare’s, it’s reasonable to expect that reimbursement will fall across the board, meaning that primary care doctors may be forced to accept only patients who can pay out-of-pocket."

Seems doubtful but I understand the argument

• Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm glad I have the VA regardless of how it is sometimes difficult.

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    lol

There are buyers for just about anything.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Biden/Harris cards would come free in packs of gum.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or on the backs of cereal boxes.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

My WTF, funny that ART is capitalized

• Options

Sold out in one day.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

A famous P.T. Barnum quote comes to mind...

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShawnOL said:
    Or on the backs of cereal boxes.

I'd prefer milk cartons.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    edited December 2022

GM is planning to install chargers at dealership to encourage more ev sales. But the chargers are level 2 so it's 3 hours for an 80% charge. Not very encouraging imho.

• Options
    edited December 2022

@silvermouse said:
    GM is planning to install chargers at dealership to encourage more ev sales. But the chargers are level 2 so it's 3 hours for an 80% charge. Not very encouraging imho.

Only those who know will see this as marketing, the rest will say, 'Gee, isn't that nice? We should get a Bolt."

But I ask, who is going to be parking there and charging? Who parks at a dealership, and why? If they could charge them while the car's being serviced, that'd be nice. Maybe it's for those who are traveling?

Edit: stopping to admit to myself I may not have enough information on this to form an accurate opinion.

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

My local GM dealer installed one a few months ago haven't seen a car use it yet.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

While you’re there they will be offering you trade in value and showing you around the lot. Free coffee too.

• Options

@Bob_Luken said:
    While you’re there they will be offering you trade in value and showing you around the lot. Free coffee too.

Maybe they can talk to you about your car's warranty, yes?

• Options

The latest social media selfie trend. I hesitate to ask what it indicates..

lobotomy chic aesthetic

https://petapixel.com/2022/12/21/the-lobotomy-chic-aesthetic-is-taking-over-instagram/

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022

@silvermouse said:

lobotomy chic aesthetic

https://petapixel.com/2022/12/21/the-lobotomy-chic-aesthetic-is-taking-over-instagram/

Actually, I can't wait til my girl adopts this style for "our" selfies, because my smiles are sometimes judged to be inferior. So, I'll be grateful and joyous to show my ungrateful and joyless look.

• Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022

@silvermouse said:

lobotomy chic aesthetic

I think it indicates that young folks need to find more constructive hobbies.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think young people need to learn how to WORK.

• Options

we live in a debt economy, the messages on media all say buy, you've got credit, upgrade your phone, your car, you need to.... So many people I know live paycheck to paycheck and when they work hard and earn more they spend more.

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    we live in a debt economy, the messages on media all say buy, you've got credit, upgrade your phone, your car, you need to.... So many people I know live paycheck to paycheck and when they work hard and earn more they spend more.

The gentleman who I owe my livelihood too not only taught me how to make money, but how to make that money make money. I was/am lucky. Can’t complain too much.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options

sign of the times:

"Representative-elect George Santos, a New York Republican, admitted to lying about his work and college history but said it would not stop him from taking office."